Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of putting on an open primary on my glide. Can anyone who has ridden one give me some pros and cons for having one? I'm doing a belt and pulley change after the season ends so I figured it would be a good time to look at it as an additional project. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Never liked them. Always worried about getting my pant cuff caught up in there. They do look cool though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Put an open primary on my FXR after I blew a loose bolt through the original. I was trying to plug the mid-shift hole in the inner primary so I could go with forward controls. I was ok for most of a summer, but it didn't like it in the end. Moral of the story, don't put a freeze plug in your primary, chains and sprockets will chew them up and spit them out.

Anyway, back to open primary, and this is just my opinion. I loved mine after I switched, mostly. 1, less hassle to change the oil in it. :) 2, works as promised, lighter, maybe another couple HP (less rotating mass) but it will likely change all gear ratios. 3, kinda noisy but I didn't mind that. 4) Never tore my toes off but I heard it could.

Would I do it on a bagger? Almost certainly not with floorboards and feet, chaps and loose jeans right next to it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I will just have to get another bike to put one on it seems. All in the name of health and safety lol and keeping me whole. Have a great week.

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
Loses some weight , less vibration , no compensator issues , I had an open years ago , am toying with the idea of a closed , if you go closed all you do is leave the drain plug out and run a vented derby cover , so it gets air in there , and you have to be certain the primary bolt bosses in the front dont contact the belt , usually have to be ground down , and be sure you remove all signs of oil from the inner and outer ..

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hot Rod

I've been thinking of putting on an open primary on my glide. Can anyone who has ridden one give me some pros and cons for having one? I'm doing a belt and pulley change after the season ends so I figured it would be a good time to look at it as an additional project. Any thoughts?

I put one on my Softail because I like the look but I don't think I would put one on the Glide. I guess it would eliminated any compensator issues! LOL

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts