Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, opinions are not scarce 'round here, so I thought I'd solicit yours.

Looking to add another pistol. This one will be mostly for range duty and some carry. Will be my first polymer body.

Smith & Wesson M&P 45 or Springfield Armory XDm 45. Most likely it will be a full size frame, but haven't ruled out the compact.

Would really like to hear if you actually own one, but general opinions still appreciated.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am and always will be a 1911 fan, but I do carry and use the S&W m&p 45 for my duty weapon. I shoot it regularly and sometimes without cleaning it as I should, I never had a misfire or stovepipe with it, I do like the fact that it came with 3 mags, night sites, and the 3 replaceable back strap, I found the medium grip fit my hand the best. The feel, sight picture and shot placement are right on. So yes I am very pleased with the M&P 45

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I am a big fan of the Springfield XDM series. I have both the 9 and 45.
They have both been very reliable. Have to love the mag capacity.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I am and always will be a 1911 fan, but I do carry and use the S&W m&p 45 for my duty weapon. I shoot it regularly and sometimes without cleaning it as I should, I never had a misfire or stovepipe with it, I do like the fact that it came with 3 mags, night sites, and the 3 replaceable back strap, I found the medium grip fit my hand the best. The feel, sight picture and shot placement are right on. So yes I am very pleased with the M&P 45

Not to mention an integrated rail under the barrel.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Love 1911s, compact officer model is my daily carry.

XDm sits in my nightstand except for trips to the range. Its a tack driver, it has a crimson trace laser grip on it. Had it 7 years and has been ultra reliable. Very easy to shoot accurately. 19+1 in the pipe of hydra shock is nothing to take lightly. When I got it the 45 was not an option, only 9 and 40, because I wanted to take it to the range 9 is cheaper to shoot often. JHP Hydra shock testing has proven to be very effective, before I knew this it was always 45 acp for me, now I use both.

The high capacity is nice of the XDm, but if you plan to carry it a lot, its pretty big and heavy filled with 20 rounds. I prefer light and smaller for daily carry so I have the officer 1911. I love my XDm so much I will pry get the XDs 45 ultra compact for daily carry, I love the platform and am familiar with it, no reason to get a new platform. Also the XDm comes as a nice package; hard case with foam cutt outs for included 2 mags, holster, mag holster, mag loader, 3 interchangable grips for diff hand sizes.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I own a Sig 2022 that lives in my nightstand. I need to go shoot it more than I do. :eek: Very nice polymer weapon. Not a $1000 Sig, but I like it.
I have big hands, handled all the Glocks, Rugers and a few others and found it my paws the best.

Then I went to a gun shop in Greenville ME a year later and handled an XD.
It fits better. :( Havent traded up yet, but seriously considering it. Like to find one and run a couple mags thru it, but ranges are a little scarce up here.

Sig mags are stupid money and hard-ish to find. Havent priced extra XD mags.

At the end of the day, I should have some kind of 1911. Big frame ,mags are cheap and plentiful, but .45 is a big plinking/target round. I have 300 rds of the steelcase 9mm to shoot that I have less than 40 bucks in. Right now steel 9mm is .19 on wikiarms, 45 is .31, but the 45 is 230gr,
9mm is 115, so twice as heavy and 50% more $$. ( I gotta learn to hand load)

I'd go with the XD next time, I think.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,319 Posts
I have an XDm 40 that typically doesn't go more than about 5' from person at any given time........have literally thousands of rounds through it (not always cleaned properly :eek: ) and yet to have an issue. Very very happy with it!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Anyone ever buy online from Buds Gun Shop?

They have a list of approved FFL dealers and will ship to them, some with free shipping. You pick up at the local dealer, complete paperwork and pay the transfer fee. I've seen some good prices.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
This is the 1st time out with the M&P 45 out of the box at 25' this is the group it held, the entire mag with every hole touching, minus the one I pulled a little. Yea all the little holes are from a .22 I was playing with. Great gun for the money. Also I never purchased a gun from Buds Gun Shop, but have a fellow officer that has made a couple purchases from them without any problems.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input, stripclub. I also like the 1911, but this purchase is going to be a polymer .45 and has come down to the M&P or the XDm.
Heading out to get oil changed in car and then to the range to try out the M&P. They only have a .40 rental, no .45, but this should tell me what I need to know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Springfield XDS .45

I have owned and carried the XDS .45 as my daily carry for the last year. Comfortable and compact and no problem when riding using my N8 tactical inside the waistband holster. Also use a Desantis pocket holster from time to time, and yes, even an ankle holster on rare occasion. The size and weight are really ideal for concealed carry..

As for shooting it, the 3.3 inch barrel has a kick, but is manageable and the groups are pretty tight. The one disadvantage is capacity (5 in the mag and 1 in the chamber). I do have a higher capacity mag for it, but it makes the gun less than compact...But then again my other go- to is my S&W model 60 with 5 shots...if you need more than five .38+ps or six .45 rounds in any situation, chances are your outgunned anyway...

Overall imho the Springfield XDS .45 is a great gun!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just buy the M&P, the XD's, some Glocks, Sigs, Kimbers......... you really can't have too many! And I love them all!!!
I really can't disagree with this man's logic :D

But back to the OP's question...

I've owned an XD45 and an M&P as well. Both are very reliable and will provide tight consistent grouping out of the box. The XD did seem to be made for larger hands than the M&P did so if that is a factor for you it may be something to consider. In terms of function, reliability, and longevity of the weapon you really can't go wrong with either choice.

I'll be interested to see what your final decision is.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
"Would really like to hear if you actually own one, but general opinions still appreciated" 1st poly hm? "compact officer model is my daily carry" +1, interesting to see if the poly fit's your traditional thinking, "to each there own" but damn they seem disposable....have a few and can tell ya for me the back straps will never replace a set of HOGUE's.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK... after a bit of paralysis by analysis I made a purchase today: .45 XDm. Black model with 4.5" barrel. It came with a couple 13 round mags and a form to get 3 more (free) from Springfield. Some other stuff in the case.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
You made a good decision and will not be sorry. Congratulations and happy shooting!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry, I just have a problem with buying a gun made in a country we once bombed the $hit out of. I know lots of guys who have XDs and love them, but I just can't get past the "Made in Croatia". I own 2 M&Ps and love them.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, I just have a problem with buying a gun made in a country we once bombed the $hit out of. I know lots of guys who have XDs and love them, but I just can't get past the "Made in Croatia". I own 2 M&Ps and love them.
Your money, your choice. No one can fault you for that.

Would you also not own Sig Sauer, Glock or Heckler & Koch firearms for the same reason? Not criticizing, just curious.

For this purchase it was between the M&P and the XDm, both in .45 caliber. Country of origin was definitely considered, but, for me, the Springfield won out on the range.
I liked the XDm's ergonomics better. I liked the trigger on the XDm over the M&P. I liked the higher capacity magazines with the XDm.

That said, they are really similar and I would have been happy with either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts