Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 inch harley wind splitter on my fltrx, and the wind hits me right in the eyes. 6' tall with a 32 inch inseam. I purchased a 14 inch mako from long ride shields but it was way too high. Considering a 12 inch mako now or a 12 inch wind vest.

Any other good options or suggestions? Windvest says their shields perform like they are 2-3 inches taller. Any truth to that?

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Since you are asking, I went with Cee bailey, for two reasons,

1) they make a great windshield. (clear, smoke or black).
2) they offer shield by the inch, so you get a prefect fit.

I am the same size as you & use a shield measuring top to bottom 15"

At that height I can see over it but I am protected, :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
So what year of RG do you have. I have a 2006 which has a lower fairing that 2010 and newer bikes due to lower fairing brackets. I demo'd a 15" windspliter and the wind hit me direct in the eyes. (5'10" by the way) Then I purchased a 13" WindVest. Much better but I was wishing it was two inches taller. So after that experience I decided that I am better off looking at it than I am looking for it. So I went and purchased one of those adjustable windshields from M.S. It is 14.5". At its lowest it is lower that my 13" WindVest, and works better. At its highest setting it is just at eye ball level, so if I slouch a bit I am looking through it, if I sit tall I am just looking over it. And it works great.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
After many "wasted, according to the wife anyway" hours on this forum reading about options I decided to try the GADS. Wow. Big difference. Find out if the air hitting you is from the top of the windshield, or if it is coming up from next to the tank. My eyes would start watering like crazy from the wind, would have sworn it was coming from over the windshield. Nope, from the tank. Bob from GADS suggested putting your feet on top of the crash bar to fill in the gap between the fairing and the bar. Immediate difference. There are lots of posts on here about it, but I am loving the GADS.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Windshields

I just got back from a long trip, and it replaced my 12" KW with a 15" windvest. I am 5'9" tall, and with the stock seat and a sheepskin the 15" was perfect. I could still see right over the top, but offered much better wind protection than the KW. Specially when I was wearing a full face helmet, normally the buffeting is so bad I can't see, but this was much better, and in the rain I had to wear the full face, so it worked out good. Around town, back to the cool factor and 12" KW smoke!:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts