Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke with Howard at Motorcycle Metal last week. His shop started building my Ohlins 3-4 series shocks on Friday and should be here this week. He said I'll want to kick my own ass for not changing the shocks before my Alaska trip. I'm looking forward to the new feel.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I just ordered my 3-4s yesterday. That and some monotubes for the front.

One last winter project. C'mon spring.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I'm subscribing, I don't know why, I already know I want the ohlins, guess I just want to hear another good review to push me that much closer.:D

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
how much are the Ohlin 3-4? what do you do with the front forks?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Look forward to your impression of the Ohlins. I found a screaming deal on a set of 440's, so that's what I'll be running for now. Anything will be better than the factory "shocks". Still may try to budget in a set of Ohlins in the future. Howard is a very interesting dude to talk to.

Jeff

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put a set of Ohlin 3-3's on last year and then some monotubes up front this past week. What a sweet ride now! Back is good, no front end dive up front and the bike tracks sweet!

Martin

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just ordered my 3-4s yesterday. That and some monotubes for the front.

One last winter project. C'mon spring.
Why did you go with the 3-4 instead of the 3-3 ? The 3-4 are longer than the stock 13 " shocks and dont have any additional travel based on what Howards site says. So they will raise your bike and change the rake.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Howard recommended the 3-4 when I told him I have a 34" inseam. The 3-4 at their shortest setting are slightly longer than stock. When I get the sag set right at 1/3 stroke (about an inch) it should sit right in the sweet spot, where it'll absorb bumps and extend into depressions.

At least that's my plan. We'll see how it translates into reality,

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put a set of #6 ohlins on the bike from howard and not gonna post a review till i get home from Florida,wanted to get them seated and dialed in.but i would like to say this is a totally different motorcycle,in a happy way.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
That's great to hear. My Ohlins shocks are sitting here beside my desk and I haven't had the time to install them yet. I'm hoping to carve out some time this weekend to do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mounted on the bag support,very easy insall

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Installed my 3-4s yesterday. Wow, does my front suspension suck now! :)

I'm pretty jacked about getting these broken in and dialed in. Already the ride's much better and the ass end of the bike feels planted. It really does make me even more aware of the front end, though. Brake dive, and just a wallowing feeling. I need to get going with the monotube install. Just need to pick up a set of chrome fork legs and I'll be good to go for that.

I adjusted the length on the 3-4s to where the axle nut just barely clears the right muffler when the suspension is fully extended. I measured before and after and The ride height is slightly higher than stock. Just about 1/8", in fact. Once I'm able to get the preload set for the proper sag, this setup will be sweet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have the #3-#3's , once dialed in you will not believe the quality of ride you will get

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ohlins

Just got off the phone with Howard and ordered the 6's for my SERGU. He tells me I will be blown away with the comfort and obviously I believed him. They are certainly not cheap but he did give me a nice deal because of the forum...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ordered the 3-3's from Howard for my RGU last Thursday.

I don't think I had as much of a problem with the stock shocks on my '04 Ultra. When I'm solo and have the Pak off the '11 RGU, I just can't get the right amount of pressure set up for a decent ride. I'm really hoping the Ohlin's perform as advertised.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts