Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you folks...

My dad has an '11 CVO RGU (red and black) that he's thinking about painting. Long story short... he put an extended fender and bags on and is having a tough time matching the paint. Now he is thinking about changing the color all together.

My question is, if we can find new body parts for the front half (Fairing, inner, tank, fender, side covers), would it be beneficial to pull the original body parts and try to sell as a set and paint new parts? What would a full CVO paint set be worth? I just feel wrong painting over a CVO paint set. Thinking maybe you could sell the set, buy new metals and recover some of the cost of painting.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Who did you get to match the paint?

Man, that is my second favorite cvo color, would hate to see it covered. Couldn't gunslinger or whoever harley got to work that paint get it right? Just spitballing here...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a local painter try to paint it. Like everyone has said, they can't get the codes for CVO colors. Painter has offered to make it right... not sure what that will take.

Considered sending to Gunslinger... but I have a feeling that will get expensive, on top of what has already been sent. Haven't actually asked them for a quote yet though.

On top of that, he is thinking he wants to change the color (mostly the red) to something brighter and keep the same theme. Or just change the color all together.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Had a local painter try to paint it. Like everyone has said, they can't get the codes for CVO colors. Painter has offered to make it right... not sure what that will take.

Considered sending to Gunslinger... but I have a feeling that will get expensive, on top of what has already been sent. Haven't actually asked them for a quote yet though.

On top of that, he is thinking he wants to change the color (mostly the red) to something brighter and keep the same theme. Or just change the color all together.

Aahh, ok, if he wants to change it he wants to change it. But if looking to get it done right and not be forced to overspend bc current painter can't get right I would contact gunslinger. Good luck. I love that color scheme bud.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You can get full sets off e-bay for around $1,500 (and less if you by individual parts --right now a set of Yellow bags & rear fender for sale by 2 different people that could be had for $400......).

I would think that the CVO set would be worth quite a bit more to someone who wanted a CVO but could not afford one!
I would at least test the waters before I painted over a CVO paint scheme.

I hope whatever paint design he has in mind is out of this workd incredible!!!! because he's going KILL the value of his bike when he removes the CVO Paint off of it..................

·
Super Moderator
1,796 Posts
I think you should be able to get 2500 easy for the CVO set. As stated above about 1500 will buy a matched vivid black set or by buying carefully you can put together a set of mis-matched pieces for a little less.

Personally, If he really wants something different, I would hang onto the CVO paint set. Spend the money putting together a second set of tins and have that painted. It will be hard to find a complete matched set but it can be done.

The bike won't bring in any more in a future trade in with a vivid black set or a one off custom painted set. But it would be worth more with the CVO set put back on. In fact sometimes you will have to take less on a trade in with custom paint, you narrow the potential future buyers from an ocean to a pond with really radical custom paint jobs.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
967 Posts
Best CVO color IMO. No way will spray over. But is not my bike.
Sure this set worth money to offset the cots of a new tins for a new paint skim.
Will make any effort to keep the CVO color.
Good luck

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had contacted Gunsligers about painting/matching my CVO paint, they told me per their contract with Harley, they couldn't do it. I understand wanting to change colors but would hate to see that set get painted over.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Getting the match can be a challenge. sounds like your dad is not in love with the CVO paint. Buying used tins, painting them as you want, is the way to go. Save the CVO tins...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Me personally...I'd try to find a painter who really knows his "stuff". I can't emphasize how good the painter must be to try to come close to Harley's paint. For the amt. of time effort and ebay games that you'll put yourself through, it may be worth it to try to match it and let the painter worry... That particular Black is not 100% Black(it has a mixture of and other colors, flakes etc.) I went through the whole paint/Ebay process and it was a royal pain. Also, remember...the average drop on Harley parts is about 50% unless somebody is extremely desperate and willing to pay for your parts. Think about it....

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I had contacted Gunsligers about painting/matching my CVO paint, they told me per their contract with Harley, they couldn't do it. I understand wanting to change colors but would hate to see that set get painted over.

Would have to go through a dealer so gunslinger is in the clear contractually. They will do it.

Or paint it like this...

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1390258659.073765.jpg

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Me personally...I'd try to find a painter who really knows his "stuff". I can't emphasize how good the painter must be to try to come close to Harley's paint. For the amt. of time effort and ebay games that you'll put yourself through, it may be worth it to try to match it and let the painter worry... That particular Black is not 100% Black(it has a mixture of and other colors, flakes etc.) I went through the whole paint/Ebay process and it was a royal pain. Also, remember...the average drop on Harley parts is about 50% unless somebody is extremely desperate and willing to pay for your parts. Think about it....
i would definitely try to source another set of tins and keep those as pristine as possible.

don't want to sound like a broken record, but try joe at xtreme dimension painting out of new jersey. he did a great job matching my roman gold/burnt emerald....

www.xtremedimension.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the same logic already stated in prior posts, I'd recommend leaving the CVO originals intact and well-protected on a shelf somewhere -- buy a used or repro replacement set to paint (or repaint) as you see fit. Come trade-in or resale time, you'll get the highest return by far wearing the original CVO set. If the 2nd custom set is well done, you'll be able to get some decent bucks for them as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Question for you folks...

My dad has an '11 CVO RGU (red and black) that he's thinking about painting. Long story short... he put an extended fender and bags on and is having a tough time matching the paint. Now he is thinking about changing the color all together.

My question is, if we can find new body parts for the front half (Fairing, inner, tank, fender, side covers), would it be beneficial to pull the original body parts and try to sell as a set and paint new parts? What would a full CVO paint set be worth? I just feel wrong painting over a CVO paint set. Thinking maybe you could sell the set, buy new metals and recover some of the cost of painting.

Just trade it with someone for a stock color and a few dollars. If you want I could take it off your hands. I hate for,you to have to keep that ugly paint set.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts