Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making a phone mount like the Iron Aces one, and attaching my Otterbox belt clip mount to it to hold my phone.

The Otterbox clip mount seems pretty damn secure at holding the phone, but I don't use it to keep my phone attached to my pants belt like some people.

For those who do use the Otterbox clip mount, would you feel comfortable using it on your bike to hold your phone?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I use it on the bike. I have the Iron aces base, grinded off the clip, and mounted the modified clip to my bike. Works great and extremely secure. I will look for a pic...

·
Registered
574 Posts
The first pic is the original, the second is after I removed the clip. The clip rotates on a disk, I only grinded off the clip and left the raised disk. This provides a platform for more stability and raises the phone up. Then drill holes to fit the Iron aces mount. The mount has spacers that will match the heights of the raised disk. It works perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just a note on the screws, I plan on grinding them down, get ones that will be flat as possible and drill the hole to that size with the sink. Mine sit up a bit and make the clip really tight. Hope all this helps...:D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I did the same thing with a lifeproof clip that the clip part hard broke off on. Works great

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, thinking about it....why even need the mount? I don't see any reason why the otterbox holder can't be bolted to the gauge pod the same way the iron aces mount would. Seems like just an extra part??

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the otter box holder wit iron aces mount with no problems. Not sure I would use it with out some type of metal mount behind it, JMHO.

Well think about it.... you drill two holes in the gauge cover and then install the aces mount to it with two screws and spacers. Then you drill two holes in the otterbox case and install IT to the aces mount with two screws and spacers.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Well think about it.... you drill two holes in the gauge cover and then install the aces mount to it with two screws and spacers. Then you drill two holes in the otterbox case and install IT to the aces mount with two screws and spacers.
Youre absolutely right. No offense to iron aces and their mounts but it would seem that you really dont need it since youre only gonna drill holes in the otterbox holder. I was thinking about doing the same thing with my otterbox

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Youre absolutely right. No offense to iron aces and their mounts but it would seem that you really dont need it since youre only gonna drill holes in the otterbox holder. I was thinking about doing the same thing with my otterbox
I'm going to do mine in the next day or so. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I'm going to do mine in the next day or so. I'll post pics.
Definately keep us posted. I think the only reason i havent dont it yet is cuz i didnt want to permanently mount anything to the bike. Ive had the broken holder for awhile

·
Registered
270 Posts
The iron aces mount moves the phone up so its not corving your gauges. Also the stress over time will snap your plastic case. The metal would help lessen the stress. but good luck! I sure wouldn't want to try that with my phone

·
Registered
574 Posts
My reasons for using the iron aces mount: 1) if I decide to take the clip off, it has a very nice clean look 2) as Tim mentioned, it also moves the phone above the gauges in the perfect position. You could drill the holes lower on the clip, but then it is top heavy with the mount location being on the lower 1/3 or less of the clip. Remember that you will want to press the phone to use it, it's like holding a large text book only by the first inch of the book and someone is pressing on the top. That will cause an additional stress every time you touch/press the phone. The way I have it mounted, it is balanced, solid and can take the weight of you using the phone since the mount is in the center.

Just wanted to let you guys know what worked extremely well for me and why. The Aces mount is not cheap, but well made and looks really good. I used the smaller mount and it gave me the position you see in the pics. Placed in a good position above the gauges without too much of a gap to still look good.

I also used nylon lock nuts on the bolts for the clip.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I tried that a while back. It worked fine as far as keeping the phone on the bike.

I gave up on the concept because the phone could not be seen at all in any daylight. I also had the connector plug in that went to the Aux input on the radio to play music. If you do play music, be sure you turn off the shake to randomize feature on the phone. Every time I hit a bump, it changed songs!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts