Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I had out patient back surgery on Tuesday . I had two synovial cysts removed from between L4 and L5. Except for the incision area I'm pain free. Figure some of you guys had similar surgery, how long did you wait to ride again?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Glad to hear everthing went well!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I had a ruptured disc repair at L-4/5 and it was 6 weeks before my doc would let me ride again. Hope is is sooner for you because that was the longest 6 weeks of my life.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had the same surgery about 30 years ago, but wasn't riding at the time so I can't answer your question. I know I had the surgery on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. It's not a very invasive surgery so I would assume it won't be long before you're back in the saddle. Best advice is to wait until your F/U with your Dr and go by what he tells you.

On a side note, I had major back surgery 4 weeks ago last Friday. Removed L3 and L4 discs, and fused L3 to L2 and L4 to L3 with titanium screws and a titanium cage. Been a long/slow recovery. The first week was hell and it's been up and down since then. 1 step forward and two steps backwards. Very slow process. The surgery site itself is virtually pain free. The biggest issue now is the muscles in my back and low hips keep knotting up. Doing a lot of icing and using a Tens units. I go in on Tuesday for my post surgery Drs. F/U. Hopefully, he'll prescribe some therapy for the muscles. I can't wait to get back on the bike, but I've got a feeling this summer is pretty much a lost cause at this point.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had the same surgery about 30 years ago, but wasn't riding at the time so I can't answer your question. I know I had the surgery on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. It's not a very invasive surgery so I would assume it won't be long before you're back in the saddle. Best advice is to wait until your F/U with your Dr and go by what he tells you.

On a side note, I had major back surgery 4 weeks ago last Friday. Removed L3 and L4 discs, and fused L3 to L2 and L4 to L3 with titanium screws and a titanium cage. Been a long/slow recovery. The first week was hell and it's been up and down since then. 1 step forward and two steps backwards. Very slow process. The surgery site itself is virtually pain free. The biggest issue now is the muscles in my back and low hips keep knotting up. Doing a lot of icing and using a Tens units. I go in on Tuesday for my post surgery Drs. F/U. Hopefully, he'll prescribe some therapy for the muscles. I can't wait to get back on the bike, but I've got a feeling this summer is pretty much a lost cause at this point.
I had the same surgery just a level down. The muscle spasms are the worst. Walk, walk and walk some more or as much as you can tolerate it will help with the spasms and speed up the recovery.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, back in the saddle since 19 June. No more pain what so ever. Even started running again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts