Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time has come to get a new pocket knife. I currently carry a dull and used as hell Boker Kalashnikov 74 half serrated automatic switch blade style knife. I have seriously been looking into the Microtech Ultratech out the front stiletto style knifes. Anyone have any experience with carrying/working with this style of knife or a recommendation for something camparable?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reactions: BH#103

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
I'm not judging here, but are switchblade knives legal in Illinois? (or in any state?) I'm just curious since every State that I've lived in they are illegal.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
there's a difference, though what it is i'm not sure, between a switchblade, and an 'assisted opening' type knife.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
For the money Im a huge Columbia River fan. Easy to sharpen and they hold an edge better then most. Cleaned 2 hogs in one night and pretty sure any other knife would have been trashed after cleaning the one. I have a Bench made and its been a great knife but too pricey for an every day carry. Ive been carrying a Boker and so far I like it. I usually lose 2 a year so i try and keep them around $50 bucks.

Reactions: BH#103

·
Registered
988 Posts
I own a Benchmade but not a Microtech, although I know a few guys that have em and they really like them. Next one I get will be an out the front Microtech. From the ones I have handled they are well built & reasonably priced compared to Benchmade prices.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Personally, there is no way I'd use an OTF auto as an EDC. Just too much that can go wrong, and the designs and application aren't as practical as they are "cool-sounding". I have personally known TWO people that have had failed Microtechs, and while that is just anecdotal, I am convinced. The only OTF auto I'd ever consider is a Hawk - HAWK KNIFE DESIGNS - Home. This guy pretty much perfected and patented that class of knife, but they are insanely expensive and you have to get on a waiting list. And even if Grant Hawk gifted me a knife, I wouldn't EDC it.

For pocket folders, I am a Spyderco fanboy. Used to HATE them and thought the little thumbhole thing was stupid. Then I won one and spent some time with it, which allowed me to fall madly in love with their lineup. You can spend anywhere from $40-400 on them, and you get what you pay for. I love a really good steel, so I would rather save up and buy a super steel version knowing that it will hold an edge and be easy to sharpen (really just touch up with a strop or fine ceramic). I get that some people don't like Spyderco designs, so I also suggest Buck (the 110 is a tried and true knife), Kizer, and some Benchmade stuff (Bugout is excellent). I have knives by CRKT, Kershaw, Gerber, Victorinox, Boker, Opinel, and more, and they all have their merits. But if I had to pick one folder, it would be a Spyderco (probably my Pacific Salt H1 or Manix 2 in CPM20CV).

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally, there is no way I'd use an OTF auto as an EDC. Just too much that can go wrong, and the designs and application aren't as practical as they are "cool-sounding". I have personally known TWO people that have had failed Microtechs, and while that is just anecdotal, I am convinced. The only OTF auto I'd ever consider is a Hawk - HAWK KNIFE DESIGNS - Home. This guy pretty much perfected and patented that class of knife, but they are insanely expensive and you have to get on a waiting list. And even if Grant Hawk gifted me a knife, I wouldn't EDC it.

For pocket folders, I am a Spyderco fanboy. Used to HATE them and thought the little thumbhole thing was stupid. Then I won one and spent some time with it, which allowed me to fall madly in love with their lineup. You can spend anywhere from $40-400 on them, and you get what you pay for. I love a really good steel, so I would rather save up and buy a super steel version knowing that it will hold an edge and be easy to sharpen (really just touch up with a strop or fine ceramic). I get that some people don't like Spyderco designs, so I also suggest Buck (the 110 is a tried and true knife), Kizer, and some Benchmade stuff (Bugout is excellent). I have knives by CRKT, Kershaw, Gerber, Victorinox, Boker, Opinel, and more, and they all have their merits. But if I had to pick one folder, it would be a Spyderco (probably my Pacific Salt H1 or Manix 2 in CPM20CV).
What kind of things do you see or feel can go wrong with an otf as an edc? I am a huge fan of Spyderco knives! I have had at a minimum 20 different variations of these and have carried these exclusively for the past 20+ years. Once the autos went legal for me I bought the Boker and end of story, I will always carry an auto from now on.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I concealed carry guns years before WI made it legal. Always carry, never tell.
Me too Wade....never know???
Main edc's are my Sig Sauer P320, P225, and/or P220 Stainless steel Elite.....my pride and joy!!!!
My dream pistol is a Wilson Combat.....some day????
Some day that and a new Shark???What?:nerd:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What kind of things do you see or feel can go wrong with an otf as an edc? I am a huge fan of Spyderco knives! I have had at a minimum 20 different variations of these and have carried these exclusively for the past 20+ years. Once the autos went legal for me I bought the Boker and end of story, I will always carry an auto from now on.
Failed locking mechanism and/or accidental opening–had it happen to a friend on his Microtech. They replaced the failed knife, and the same thing happened again. After his second replacement he put the knife in a safe and never used it again. And the structure of an OTF is not as strong as a pivot folder or just using a fixed blade. I have a couple fixed blades I carry occasionally and it's no different than carrying a multitool. If you need to make a heavy cut, or are in an emergency situation that requires dependability, there is no way I would trust an OTF. The physical and mechanical structure just cannot be as strong as a pivot lock. Deploy your OTF then make a hard plunge cut with force at the tip. Rotate 180º and do it again. Then rotate 90º and put body weight force on the flat edge, repeating on the other side. Did your blade move at all? Now do that 100 times. If there is ANY wiggle, the knife WILL fail. Not a matter of if, but of when.

I get it. It's cool to push a button and have the knife pop out like in the movies. And it is fantastic if you have arthritis or one arm etc. I just do not trust them if you have the option of a good locker instead.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get it. It's cool to push a button and have the knife pop out like in the movies.
Finally.....someone understands!!!!!!>:)

All kidding aside, I appreciate the input. I've never had a misfire with my auto switchblade opening on it's own, but being that I feel it's the cat's ass for my everyday use and I'm in need of a replacement, this is where my wanting to try an otf comes from. Btw, that Hawk knife looks pretty SWEET!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We use to call them "Stomach Pumpers" and had them when we were younger.........you have to ALWAYS have a toothpick in the side of your mouth for proper deployment........just saying

Heard good things about the Benchmade

https://knifeinformer.com/benchmade-infidel-review/
I read that the toothpick thing was actually necessary for proper deployment previously. Not sure about now though, will have to try it! That Benchmade Infidel is my second choice. Gonna follow this Microtech thing up until this weekend and see where I land. Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Ive had 1 of my Spyderco knives since 1989, rescue stainless handle. It has cut welding cable, and everything else that I had to deal with as a diver and then as a pipe welder. I used it to cut 2 1/2 hogging line out of a tug boat wheel. We didn't have a hacksaw so I used the knife. Took a while but it worked. I lost the pocket clip on it. I made one out of stainless and welded it on. Thing is beat to hell, never been sharpened, still cuts whatever is in its path.

I also have a Mariner, same as a rescue but with a point. Bought it in 1996 and it also has never been sharpened. I can't carry it at my current job, but at home or out its in my pocket.

I would put Spyderco's serrated blade up against any other knife. They get the job done period.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts