Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any problems with the new 6.5" speakers sitting to high and causing the outer to not want to line up properly?
Is this a problem with the adapters? I

thought I was done but after trying to put the outter fairing on I realize I have a way to go.......... LOL

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of speakers are you referring to?

What is the mounting depth?

What adapters are you using?
Arc Audio Speaker Adapters with Polk MM651's

The fairing was never a breeze to put back on, but now it feels like it is in a bind...... It kinda needs man handled to get back on... Just wondered if this was common after swapping speakers?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
the adapters were kinda a pita to get on, but i didn't have any problem with them 'pushing' the outer fairing out any. i was using the polk dxi 650s on my bike. maybe the adapter needs to be rotated some so that the offset is sitting more in or down? (does that make any sense?)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I had those ARC's on the last RG (they were on the bike when I bought it) and one side a part of the ring cracked the inner fairing. I had to trim the rib on it a little and noticed that the other side was trimmed as well. I used Hawg wired and then Biketronics on this Glide.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have the Rokkers with the adapter rings and no issues at all with reinstall of the fairing.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I used Hawgwired, then Hard Ride Audio adaptors and I have Focal KR series speakers, they touch the dynomat, but I have no problems besides the usual getting the fairing on, the MM series Polks have very small magnets, they shouldn't touch at all. I'm not familiar with ARC adaptors, but have heard good things about them, are you sure you have them positioned right?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used Hawgwired, then Hard Ride Audio adaptors and I have Focal KR series speakers, they touch the dynomat, but I have no problems besides the usual getting the fairing on, the MM series Polks have very small magnets, they shouldn't touch at all. I'm not familiar with ARC adaptors, but have heard good things about them, are you sure you have them positioned right?

I installed them according to the instructions.... However after reading a little on here It may be an issue with the adapters....

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=22819

I'm going to pull everything apart tonight and check it again.... I was so ready to just light the whole thing on fire last night...... LOL

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
i don't know why when using the same adapters on the same bike, i did not have to trim anything. they fit fine. it took me a couple of tries to get them positioned correctly, the instructions were not super clear, but after i got them figured out, worked fine.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i don't know why when using the same adapters on the same bike, i did not have to trim anything. they fit fine. it took me a couple of tries to get them positioned correctly, the instructions were not super clear, but after i got them figured out, worked fine.
I'm not sure if there is any difference with the factory speaker mounts from year to year? But my was a PITA.............

The instructions that came with mine were actually pictures of a bat wing... I was able to solve the problem... I had the 3 screws on the top side and bottom, I rotated the adapter 1/4 and now the screws are on the two sides and the bottom... The adapter still wouldn't bolt up due to the 3 standoff's for screws.....

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/1735/spec_file/213133105.pdf

Here's where I said screw it and with a little help of my bench grinder I ground the plastic standoff's flat and cut 1/4" off the screws and now all is good....... Speakers sit where they should...

However now with 2 amps in the fairing and the HID kit, it is still very snug getting the outer fairing back on.... Definitely not as easy as it was before HID's and 2 Amps.........

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big D, where did u get your poly full, installing my new amp n speakers Anne wanted to do the same??
3.98$ at walmart in the sewing section.... It's rolled up in a bag not the loose stuffing, it made it easy to wrap the speaker and used a tie wrap around the speaker adapter to hold it in place... I folded it up to 4 layers...... worked great....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my Infinty Kappas. My guy told me to reverse the adapters putting the "beveled edge" towards the gauges and not towards the outer. I switched mine and it went back on no problem.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I know that with my J&M rokker speakers I installed the foam pad that comes with the speakers to help with acoustics and the pad made it more difficult to install the outer fairing. The pads made it tighter inside the fairing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts