Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I notice the left side of my windshield and outer fairing vibrating like crazy as I'm getting off the interstate on the way to work. When I get into the parking lot I notice a little more gap between the inner and outer, pull on the outer a little bit and it's not secured any longer. The screw in the inner is still there. It looks to me from the little gap I can pull out that the outer fairing is broken and the screw isn't attached to the outer anymore. Of course there isn't a torx that fits on the tool kit Harley gives you. I talked to Hoosierboarder and he agrees something is very weird. I stop by his house after work because he's an expert at taking fairings off and sure enough the, I don't know what you call it, "cone" I guess, where the screw threads into is broken off the left side. It's starting to crack on the right side. The service guy at the dealership wasn't sure if ESP would cover it. The finance guy sent me the ESP contract instead of me digging through my files to find my copy so I will be reading it next to see if it is possibly covered. Haven't heard of this happening before. I could see stripping the threads out since they are plastic, but it's definitely not over torqued. I've attached picture to try and illustrate, I'm not a very good photographer, but I think you can see the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
That sucks. You might check with some local body shops and see if they will squeeze you out some panel adhesive. They use it to bond body panel together. It would just take a pea sized drop to put it back together. Let it cure for 24 hours and you should be back in business.
Good luck. Tell us how you make out, Bleachy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Both the left and right side of my 2011 have broken. ESP says it is not covered, some bull about it not being a bracket. I have taken the fairing off and have attempted to repair it with crazy glue and JB weld. The left side has held up about a year now. The right side I just did yesterday.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My buddy's neighbor, who is a paint and body guy happened to get home as we were looking at it. He said they have epoxy, and some wire mesh stuff they use. He was going to look to see if they had some scraps and leftover epoxy laying around since it is such a small area. It's hidden when properly installed so it doesn't really matter what it looks like. I'm going to go ahead and reinforce the right side as well. Looks like my weekend project is scheduled, after I finish the boys brake line tonight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is a common failure point. It occurs when the outer fairing is not EXACTLY lined up with the inner fairing. People get it close then suck it up using the screws, which works for a while, but eventually the stress is too much, and you get what you see here. You must make sure the outer fairing screw holes are lined up and fitting properly up to the corrosponding screw hole on the inner fairing before installing the screws. This is not always easy. I have found that if you pop out the headlight frame then re-& installing the fairing on the hook, then carefully push the fairing around until both sides fall into place. There are little plastic pieces which hold the fairing from fitting correctly so you have to mess with it untill it drops into the correct position. The last thing you want is to drag it into place using the screws. Just my experience from doing it a few times.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a common failure point. It occurs when the outer fairing is not EXACTLY lined up with the inner fairing. People get it close then suck it up using the screws, which works for a while, but eventually the stress is too much, and you get what you see here. You must make sure the outer fairing screw holes are lined up and fitting properly up to the corrosponding screw hole on the inner fairing before installing the screws. This is not always easy. I have found that if you pop out the headlight frame then re-& installing the fairing on the hook, then carefully push the fairing around until both sides fall into place. There are little plastic pieces which hold the fairing from fitting correctly so you have to mess with it untill it drops into the correct position. The last thing you want is to drag it into place using the screws. Just my experience from doing it a few times.
Thanks for the info. Not sure if this is the cause, although I did have the outer off a few weeks ago. Don't remember it not lining up properly, will be extra careful to not do it after the repair.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is on my to do list today. Taking a break now from working on the brakes on my truck, then this or audio installation on my softails is next. It's supposed to be rainy tomorrow and Monday so I'm not in a hurry. I have to get the brakes done today because the truck won't fit in the garage. Turned down two offers to ride today, but I have to get this shit done. Maybe we will ride to dinner tonight. I hate being a grown up and acting responsibly.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
It seems that once the plastic is broken any fix will not last.
The good news is you can get a brand new HD painted outer fairing from Jon (PC Pain) for under $400 shipped to your door.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It seems that once the plastic is broken any fix will not last.
The good news is you can get a brand new HD painted outer fairing from Jon (PC Pain) for under $400 shipped to your door.
I wouldn't call a $400.00 fix to a design flaw known by the MoCO to exist "good News" exactly, Seems like the victory is looking better and better, each time I fix something on this bike that should either have been redesigned or fixed by the Mother ship.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I wouldn't call a $400.00 fix to a design flaw known by the MoCO to exist "good News" exactly, Seems like the victory is looking better and better, each time I fix something on this bike that should either have been redesigned or fixed by the Mother ship.
Well it is what it is!
HD may have fixed the problem with the new fairing design in 2015 and later rushmore models but those of us that have a 2013 and earlier model RG will be stuck.
In most cases the reason the outer fairing experiences damage is from improper installation, not lapping the side fins correctly or using the screws to pull the inner/outer together can be some of the causes of fairing damage. Also radio bracket wear on the 2009 and earlier models can wear a hole in the outer fairing.
Then you have paint scratches and rock chips that can damage the outer fairing along with the bike being dropped or being laid down.
The cost of $400 for a brand new outer that is factory painted is pretty damn good IMO.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I finally got it back together yesterday morning. It took me a couple of attempts to get the epoxy to mix right (total user error). Once mixed and then I let it sit for a little bit to thicken and put it on. Probable went a little heavy, so then had to get out the rotary tool and clean up some of the excess after it cured overnight. It feel pretty solid. It took me an hour to get the damn outer back on the hooks. I spent 45 minutes messing with it before I broke down and texted my buddy Hoosierboarder. He told me he would stop by in a few minutes after his wife got home from an errand. Another 15 minutes or so and I finally got it. Not sure how, but I got it. He stopped by anyway and helped me get it lined up and all the fins in place. Installed the new GADS to use with the lowered that I put back on a few weeks ago and the wife and I rode for several hours. Seems to be holding up well so far, but time will tell. After riding the softail for a week and a half it was nice to be back on the "big bike".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts