Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a gloss black outer primary, can I just unbolt the chrome one and replace or do I need to drain fluid? thanks any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you just unbolt it it will just pour out all over. I recomend you drain it and buy a new gasket to replace the old one.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'm no expert by any means. I've literally only changed Primary 4 times. During the refill the bike is level on the bike jack. Then the cover is put on. I'm thinking there's no reason you'd need to drain it. The gasket can also be reused depending on its condition. I'd have a new one on hand just in case you need it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I recently ordered a gloss black outer primary, can I just unbolt the chrome one and replace or do I need to drain fluid? thanks any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
If you are referring to just the derby cover, swap 'em without draining, if you're talking about the whole primary, yes, drain first, I don't know of another way. Oil's cheap, gaskets & o-rings too.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
If you are referring to just the derby cover, swap 'em without draining, if you're talking about the whole primary, yes, drain first, I don't know of another way. Oil's cheap, gaskets & o-rings too.
Never came to mind OP would be referring to Primary Cover as opposed to the Derby. I read it wrong and thought he was talking about the Derby. TRUBlue is correct on all accounts. Including the oil, gaskets and o-rings.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
+1 for what Trublue said only thing to add is, maybe a better aftermarket primary gasket and O-ring kit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Be careful removing the Torx bolts on your derby cover. I just did my service and had a stripped one I had to drill out. Make sure you have the proper tools to remove the bolts.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Be careful removing the Torx bolts on your derby cover. I just did my service and had a stripped one I had to drill out. Make sure you have the proper tools to remove the bolts.
Torx suck! I'm sure they work great for a manufacturing environment. But real world, they are junk. Soft crappy torx like Harley uses suck even worse than good torx. I've twisted the torx bits more times than allen. When a Torx comes out, an Allen goes back in it's place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts