Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing the outer primary tranny and cam cover to get powder coated is there any danger in leaving these covers off. A friend said to spray them all with wd40 then cover with rags, right now they are taped up with plastic covering.

bike is in a non heated garage i had planned on leaving the covers off till spring, if that's not a good idea please let me know ill rush the powder coating and re install asap.

Tia
Masque

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
I would cover them with some shrink wrap type of packaging, like what they use to wrap pallets of goods for shipment. Something just to keep the dust out while you wait and keep the oil that could drip out from the cam chest and clutch side contained. Something is better than nothing.

When I changed my cams out last winter I used some cleaning rags draped over the cam chest to keep dust out and a drip pan underneath to catch the oil.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks right now all i have are some kitchen garbage bags taped over them ill try to get some shrink wrap.
what about moisture should i be worried about that since the garage isnt heated?

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
I think if you try to seal everything as tight as you can even with the kitchen garbage bags there should not be a problem with moisture. If the garage were heated and you were in and out of it all the time with a wet car or water laying on the floor with everything exposed you might get some rusting then. Everything that is exposed should have a good coat of oil on it already. It will be in the cast at a molecular level, believe me, the oil gets in there.

Keep it sealed as best you can until you are ready to put it all back together.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Primary, Cam, Clutch and tranny top cover off. I have it all covered with saran wrap. Everything has a good coating of oil. The garage is not heated will I be ok to leave it like that all winter or should I put those pieces back on as soon as I get them back?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
It won't hurt, but really not needed. Once you put everything back on, your gonna put in fresh fluids anyhow, so I wouldn't fret too much about it.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just cover to keep the dust/dirt/wind-blown trash out. For sure you will want to replace fluids .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts