Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my bike a couple weeks ago from a dealership I liked. Had cams exhaust and intake done when I bought it along with a prepaid dyno tune. Waited until my 1k service to get the tune done. Dropped my bike off last Friday and told them I wanted it back by Easter. I was told it should be done Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday right before 5pm I call because I hadn't heard anything. They told me was still at the tuner (they outsource it) and they weren't sure what the status was and would call me back. That evening I texted my sales guy about 8ish asking to check into it since no one called me back. He replies sure. No issues with this guy at all.

He texts back Thursday morning and says tuner was running behind. Will be on the truck Friday about noon and they will prioritize the service. Cool, was thinking that was something anyway.

Get a call a few minutes ago that it's not on the truck and it could possibly be done today but they didn't know. Am I wrong in thinking that this is bs and something sounds wrong? 7 days do get a tune done and they didn't know the tuner was that backed up? Am I wrong and over reacting or is this pretty crappy service? I would think I make an appointment for the stuff and it gets done. Not drop the bike off and let them do it when they get around to it. Anyway pissed off since I missed my ride today and the thing is in limbo.. Haven't filled out the dealer review yet and hate to blast them if I'm over reacting and this is typical Harley dealership stuff.

·
Administrator
3,036 Posts
I understand your frustration. IMO, tuners are like painters - a bit flaky and little credibility when it comes to meeting schedules, but the results are usually well worth the delay. If they're good they seem to get hung up on small details, which results in everyone in line getting pushed back. So it could be a good sign. Still, waiting and getting strung along is not much fun. Best of luck, and I hope you get to ride this weekend.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Most good dyno tunes take time not only because of the adjustment time that needs to be taken but also the cool down time it takes to do a dyno tune. Even though the dyno tech has fans putting air on the engine to help cool the engine during the dyno tune the engine will heat up and it needs cool down time to protect the engine from heat related damage.
A bike should only be dnyo tune in its operating temperature range too, which is around 200 F and 300 F degrees, that means the dyno tech has to let the engine cool to 200 after every dyno run before he will start the next dyno run.
If a bike is dyno tuned properly it will take around 4 to 5 hours to do the complete tune which means a dyno tech can only tune 2 bikes a day.
Like Stray Mutt mentioned, it may be a good sign that it is taking some time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess that wasn't really the responses I anticipated. I have had 3 cars dyno tuned and my sport bike. None of the 4 set at the tuners shop for weeks while he got time to work on them. In all 4 cases I had an appointment and hung out while it was completed. I fully understand what goes into tuning and I have dabbled with EFI live in the past. I guess the drop it off and hope it gets done approach is a Harley thing then?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I had a situation with my 01 RG,had it dynoed at the local HD shop when i went to pick it up it just wasn't right had big flat spot,took it back the next day and dropped it off,well the tuner got a attitude because it was a return and he wasnt getting payed to redo it so it set for a week,well after a very heated discussion with the service manager i pulled my bike and took it to an Indy for dyno work got it back the next day,it is very aggravating when this stuff happens,sure i payed twice but at that point i had no faith in their tuner.Maybe a lessen learned either buy your bike from a dealer that has a in house dyno or use a good indy with dyno service.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Well the main problem here appears going through the dealer. Understand it was part of the agreement. The guy that does the dyno for my car always takes his regular customers before dealers. Having said that my car was there for 5 days. As mentioned above the ones that are good are also very detail oriented and sometimes get fixated on the small stuff. I would old the dealer responsible for this and have them give you a rental for your troubles. IMHO

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I had my bike tuned in Febuary and he had my bike for 4 days. I didn't mind I just wanted it done right.

You have to consider that this is the begining the riding season. Every dealer is packed with work.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The tuner I use likes to keep the bike for at least 3 days...runs the bike at various times during those days to maximize and fine tune...and before anyone calls BS on this, he is a well respected tuner in the industry and on the Northeast.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So you had cams and the intake done and then you rode it for a 1000 miles ? I guess they just loaded a map on it since they don't have a Dyno.
My complaint would be I gave you money and you outsourced it, unless you told you that up front. If I knew they were going to outsource it I would have went straight to the Dyno guy myself and probably saved some cash.
My Dyno guy makes an Appointment. You show up and he Dyno's your bike. If he's not happy with it he tells you to go ahead and take it and reschedules you to bring it back and says he wants to try and get it better.
See he understands I'm his customer. I'm not there at his conveinence. He knows I want to be riding.
Thats the problem now days....Most people overbook cause its about them and tuff for you.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The indy shops seem to be like the Hotel California. "You can check in, but you can never leave." If the car repair shops were like that, the country would grind to a halt.

·
Registered
2012 FLTRXSE
332 Posts
My Dyno guy makes an Appointment. You show up and he Dyno's your bike. If he's not happy with it he tells you to go ahead and take it and reschedules you to bring it back and says he wants to try and get it better.
See he understands I'm his customer. I'm not there at his conveinence. He knows I want to be riding.
Thats the problem now days....Most people overbook cause its about them and tuff for you.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The original tune was a can tune to get me by. It was very conservative and running really rich. I knew going in they outsourced it but never thought it would be this long. Up until this point I have been 100% happy with everything. I guess it wouldn't have been that big of a deal had I not had family coming in to ride for Easter weekend. I could have went out today on my crotch rocket but figured it would be ready this afternoon and I could catch up. Basically wasted all morning of riding which is realistically my fault. Still pisses me off they gave me an update that it would be ready again and yet it wasn't. My main concern dropping it off was having it this weekend.

It's just been my experience that things are seldom what they tell you. It's usually a matter of someone dropped the ball and got missed. The tuner wasn't someone I actively sought out so I'm a little realistic in what I'm getting. It maybe one step up from a dealer but I'm not the tuners direct customer. It bothers me that the dealer doesn't even seem to have a close relationship to even know what's going on with their customers bikes.

Really I'm probably over reacting and a lot of my reactions didn't help. I'm used to dealing with my vendors that I spend millions with and they cater to me. I'm always in the loop for delays or problems, and when I'm not, its a butt chewing. I need to temper my expectations of the size fish and act accordingly. After quite a few vodka and sodas I realized that the important thing is that it's done correctly. Probably owe the service manager a call and make sure things are done right instead of knee jerk reactions. Appreciate the comments that help put things in perspective. I'm still pissed I'm sitting on a chair where my bike goes staring at parts I was going to put on tonight.. Just need to relax and take a breath.. Enjoy my company and regroup Monday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts