Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for hands on experience with this:

I have a 2006 RG currently stock motor aside of V&H 2-1 and hi-flow air cleaner. Love the bike, wish I could lower the RPM at high speeds, 80-85mph with cruise set, its cranking pretty high rpm, seems to me anyway. I'm planning on a 95" build this coming winter with (hopefully gear drive) cams, Ideally would like to see around 100 HP, more importantly, somewhere in the 100-107 or so TQ. I'd do most if not all work myself, aside of dyno tune.

I don't ride that many miles, I'd say 3,500-5,500 per year, but do usually plan a week long trip each August, last year was Sturgis (from MN) over Bighorns to Cody, WY, Beartooth Hwy, back home. About 2400 miles. Incredible ride! This year Eastern Upper Michigan.

I'm wondering how well or (not well) it works to go to the next larger size of compensator sprocket in an attempt to lower high speed cruising rpm.

I'm curious if taking off, 30 mph and 60 mph speeds would suffer dramatically, or if it would be not so big a deal if the motor were built up some. I've realized that it could lead to being either lugging in 5th or revving in 4th at 55-60 mph. I've heard of people changing the front belt sprocket on the trans to larger, seems to me that I'd sooner change it in the primary, it's gotta be less work and $$$.

Alternatively,
I see that revtech and ultima 6 speeds can be had for around $600 on ebay/amazon. Would be interested to know how these have held up for people over time, say 20,000 or more miles. Bought bike 3 yrs ago with 12000 miles, currently at 27000. Not looking to trade out of it anytime soon. I wouldn't say that I ride "hard" or abuse the bike, I like to put on miles, see the beautiful countryside and its gotta be reliable.I know that Baker has them for over $2k, I guess to me for $2k the bike can keep on revving, nothing is broke here, just trying to make a good thing better-if it can be remedied for $5-700 I'll consider it once all my research is done.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looking for hands on experience with this:

I have a 2006 RG currently stock motor aside of V&H 2-1 and hi-flow air cleaner. Love the bike, wish I could lower the RPM at high speeds, 80-85mph with cruise set, its cranking pretty high rpm, seems to me anyway. I'm planning on a 95" build this coming winter with (hopefully gear drive) cams, Ideally would like to see around 100 HP, more importantly, somewhere in the 100-107 or so TQ. I'd do most if not all work myself, aside of dyno tune.

I don't ride that many miles, I'd say 3,500-5,500 per year, but do usually plan a week long trip each August, last year was Sturgis (from MN) over Bighorns to Cody, WY, Beartooth Hwy, back home. About 2400 miles. Incredible ride! This year Eastern Upper Michigan.

I'm wondering how well or (not well) it works to go to the next larger size of compensator sprocket in an attempt to lower high speed cruising rpm.

I'm curious if taking off, 30 mph and 60 mph speeds would suffer dramatically, or if it would be not so big a deal if the motor were built up some. I've realized that it could lead to being either lugging in 5th or revving in 4th at 55-60 mph. I've heard of people changing the front belt sprocket on the trans to larger, seems to me that I'd sooner change it in the primary, it's gotta be less work and $$$.

Alternatively,
I see that revtech and ultima 6 speeds can be had for around $600 on ebay/amazon. Would be interested to know how these have held up for people over time, say 20,000 or more miles. Bought bike 3 yrs ago with 12000 miles, currently at 27000. Not looking to trade out of it anytime soon. I wouldn't say that I ride "hard" or abuse the bike, I like to put on miles, see the beautiful countryside and its gotta be reliable.I know that Baker has them for over $2k, I guess to me for $2k the bike can keep on revving, nothing is broke here, just trying to make a good thing better-if it can be remedied for $5-700 I'll consider it once all my research is done.

For the amount of miles you ride I wouldn't fool with it. Take the money and put it in better motor upgrades. I will take my 5 speed and run it on the interstate all day long at 80mph, so the rpm you are at won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The only 6-speed I'd recommend is the S/E unit, which is the same 5 gears you have plus an overdrive. I've had one behind the built motor in my Night Train for coming up on 7 years without issue.

But again (and please don't take offense to this, as it's not meant to be offensive) with the mileage you're riding I wouldn't sweat it. You're talking about spending a lot of money for a gear you're going to use for a week a year.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
With the 98" I would tell you to keep the 5 speed. I actually put a one less tooth compensator sprocket in my 04 and it puts cruising on that heavy bike right in the sweet spot of the motor. Pulls like a freight train and not down shifting on those long up hill climbs around the mountains. I love it and it actually took me getting used to the 16 RGS with the 6 speed. Love the 6 speed with the built 103 but with t he 98", wouldn't trade my 5 speed for a 6 speed. But that is just me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm not a fan of Rev-Tech 6 spds, the gears are half width compared to full width gears on the Baker & SE gear sets. The SE is actually a Jims which is like a Baker. Baker allowed Jims to use his design. I've had both and got great reliability from each. Putting in 8+ hours a day on a long trip, the lower rpm's at Interstate speeds was less tiring. YMMV.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The best cure for wanting a six speed tranny is, borrow a friends 800cc Suzuki, ride that at 75mph for one to two hours on the super slab, then ride yours home. Instant cure. I know this cuz I had one. As for the 95" project, I highly recommend it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts