Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would Nashville be a good place to stop overnight? It is 680 miles from home and shood be a good first day. Safe parts of town? Somewhere else near there?

·
Registered
591 Posts
We stayed at The Capital Hotel Downtown Nashville for one night last fall. Great location within walking distance to Music Row, Country music Hall of Fame, Ryman Auditorium, etc. Nice place to stay, but a bit pricey. Worth it to me for the convenience of parking the bike at the hotel and doing a walking tour. If you've never done music row your in for a good time. "Redneck Vegas".
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville-A Ascend Collection Hotel - Nashville - United States

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nashville is an excellent place to stop. Depends on how close you want to be downtown will dictate how much you'll end up spending. There's a Comfort inn on Demonbruen just on the other side of the interstate from the downtown loop. You can easily walk to all the honky tonks for a cold beer and live music. Broadway and 2nd Ave are good places to check out. If nothing is going on, expect to pay $100-150 for just outside of downtown. Much higher if you want to be right in the mix. You can find places for less than $50 if you want to be some miles away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We live in Murfreesboro just south of Nashville, for me there is way too much traffic, hotels are over priced, hard to find good parking. Not sure of your route thru but you can take I840 south of Nashville, there are a lot of hotels and great places to eat where I840 and I24 intersect, road is called Medical Center Parkway. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
If you time it right Nashville is not that bad. If you time it wrong you might as well stop before you enter the metropolitan area and get a Uber into town if you want to get a taste of the country music scene.

Of course then you will need to get up at O DARK THIRTY to get through town before the traffic builds.

If you are into the Country Music scene then you have to experience it. If not, then go around.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! I should have clarified, we are heading to SW, so I don't really care where we stay. We are not really looking to site see, just a safe place to sleep.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you time it right Nashville is not that bad. If you time it wrong you might as well stop before you enter the metropolitan area and get a Uber into town if you want to get a taste of the country music scene.

Of course then you will need to get up at O DARK THIRTY to get through town before the traffic builds.

If you are into the Country Music scene then you have to experience it. If not, then go around.
I can appreciate real country music but can't say that I am in the scene. If there was a place within walking distance of a reasonably priced hotel, I would walk over. Neither of us drink and we will be heading out early Sunday morning towards Cherokee.

Do you recommend any other places within 50 miles or so? The main goal is a safe place for the bikes and reasonable price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well with that in mind, I am assuming you are coming down I24 towards Nashville and then hitting I40, I would stop and stay the night around the Clarksville area or just south east of there. Not sure what day of the week you are traveling but if it is on the weekend you will not experience as much traffic traveling down to Nashville. As you get close to Nashville you can hit Briley Parkway and skirt around the east side and hit I40 from there or stay on I24 until you get to I40. You can never tell about the traffic around that town.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well with that in mind, I am assuming you are coming down I24 towards Nashville and then hitting I40, I would stop and stay the night around the Clarksville area or just south east of there. Not sure what day of the week you are traveling but if it is on the weekend you will not experience as much traffic traveling down to Nashville. As you get close to Nashville you can hit Briley Parkway and skirt around the east side and hit I40 from there or stay on I24 until you get to I40. You can never tell about the traffic around that town.

Good luck and be safe.
Thanks again! We are leaving Wichita at 6am Saturday morning. Trying to get the majority of the 930 miles knocked out on the first day. I would assume we will be hitting that area Saturday evening.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I am an early riser so it would stop on the way in to Nashville and continue on the next morning.

But, if I can get through the city cleanly before dark, I would stay on the east side.

Whether your bike will or will not get messed with is hard to predict. I have stayed in some real dives where I had to put towels on the bed to sleep. Never had a bike messed with.

If I am going to ride as many miles as you, I look for a hotel with a hot tub and pool, or a whirlpool tub.

I stay at choice hotel properties because I use points earned during work trips.

Sorry, not too helpful. I give Nashville a wide berth when riding, and rarely ride interstates.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wouldn't stay in Cherokee way over priced. Maggie Valley is next door and way cheaper. There is a Mexican restaurant in the valley that is excellent. Get a room with a kitchenette as the restaurant quality is generally poor in the area. All have seasonal help even the franchises and they don't give a shittt what they serve you.

The Food Lion stores have excellent meat unlike the stores in the rest of the south. Apparently the Cherokee don't eat crap and insist on better quality. Don't shop at IGA. They still cut up 10 year old cows.

The Wheels Through Time museum is open whenever they feel like getting up. Might be open might not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts