Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year I am setting out for a 14 day ride, 5 of which will be spent on the PCH from Long Beach to Olympia. I am wanting to camp most of the trip, especially the days on PCH. Has anyone ever done this, and do you have recommendations on the best places to set up a tent for the night? I'm from TX where you can camp on the beaches for the most part for free. I can't imagine this is the case in CA, but have never tried. I have looked into a lot of the state parks, but you cannot make a reservation until 6 months in advance. I'd like to avoid reservations, as I want this to be an "old school" trip, where I stop in a general area to meet the get home date, otherwise I'd like to just pull up and find an area to set up camp for the night. Anyone got any pointers on BLM land, public beach camping, etc? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
If you are taking your soon to purchase Pan America, then there are a lot of places to camp up in the mountains above the PCH. ;)

I also went on the YouTube app and typed in "Free camping along the Pacific Coast Highway " and got a lot of interesting hits.

·
Registered
2012 big blue pearl r.g. custom,chris rivas 574 cams. Rinehart extreme 4" RSD air cleaner barrnett c
332 Posts
Not much BLM land along the coast.If you leave long beach in the morning, You should be at neptunes net around lunch highly recommend great veiws pretty good parking traveling north moro Bay should be a good stop for the night. There is a campground near by. At the strand camp grounds tent camping is ok. Great fresh fish at Morro bay at dockside hope this helps

Glenn

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
1,222 Posts
There is a bridge between San Simeon and Big Surr that I use to grab a 12 and camp under. It s on the beach type,it’s very cool.
It’s been over 10years…. The greenies may have shut it down.

It’s not the Bixby bridge, farther south..not much help, but worth looking into

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are taking your soon to purchase Pan America, then there are a lot of places to camp up in the mountains above the PCH. ;)

I also went on the YouTube app and typed in "Free camping along the Pacific Coast Highway " and got a lot of interesting hits.
Didn't even think to check the ole youtube. I wish I had the extra cash to burn on a Pan AM....I'd love one!

Reactions: twowheeladdict

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much BLM land along the coast.If you leave long beach in the morning, You should be at neptunes net around lunch highly recommend great veiws pretty good parking traveling north moro Bay should be a good stop for the night. There is a campground near by. At the strand camp grounds tent camping is ok. Great fresh fish at Morro bay at dockside hope this helps

Glenn
I've heard Neptune's Net is badass. Will definitely have to stop! I'll keep digging into some of the campgrounds and see what I can find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a bridge between San Simeon and Big Surr that I use to grab a 12 and camp under. It s on the beach type,it’s very cool.
It’s been over 10years…. The greenies may have shut it down.

It’s not the Bixby bridge, farther south..not much help, but worth looking into
That's what I'm talking about! I'll have to check it out.

Reactions: MORider

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've made the trip several times from Santa Monica to Washington State. I always camped in a tent and never had a hard time pulling into a KOA and getting a campsite without a reservation (except once in Monterey Bay where the host thought we were 1%'ers). I like old school road trips. Leave the GPS at home and get some road maps and a highlighter and have an adventure.

·
Super Moderator
5,545 Posts
I can’t help you out with the camping but Neptunes Net is a good spot to stop at.

Reactions: Roadglide glenn

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm on the east coast. When traveling I stop at about 4pm and google "camp sites near me" and make a selection from there. I found some of the offices close a bit early so a phone call is a good idea.
Enjoy,
Bob

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I'm old school no GPS Way more fun riding by what just feels right

Glenn
I've made the trip several times from Santa Monica to Washington State. I always camped in a tent and never had a hard time pulling into a KOA and getting a campsite without a reservation (except once in Monterey Bay where the host thought we were 1%'ers). I like old school road trips. Leave the GPS at home and get some road maps and a highlighter and have an adventure.
For most people, riding without a GPS means sticking to the roads the cars are on.
Using the GPS as a tool instead of a crutch can lead you down some very interesting roads and still get you to your destination.

I do agree that knowing orienteering is important whether you are using map and compass or a GPS.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
For most people, riding without a GPS means sticking to the roads the cars are on.
Using the GPS as a tool instead of a crutch can lead you down some very interesting roads and still get you to your destination.

I do agree that knowing orienteering is important whether you are using map and compass or a GPS.
I find it's just the opposite for me. I pick a direction with an idea of a possible final destination. Along the way I stop and pull out the maps and find good roads. I often end up lost or stuck in the middle of nowhere but it's part of the journey. In California we have lots of options other than the slab. The maps show roads that my GPS will not pick up or will not choose because it's less convenient for the average motorist. I've had some excellent adventures doing it this way. I'm not saying GPS is bad but road maps work best for me.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I find it's just the opposite for me. I pick a direction with an idea of a possible final destination. Along the way I stop and pull out the maps and find good roads. I often end up lost or stuck in the middle of nowhere but it's part of the journey. In California we have lots of options other than the slab. The maps show roads that my GPS will not pick up or will not choose because it's less convenient for the average motorist. I've had some excellent adventures doing it this way. I'm not saying GPS is bad but road maps work best for me.
A GPS can do the same thing, it is all about how you use it.
Sometimes I just use it as a “live” map just so I can see the upcoming roads before I get to wheee I can read the street sign.
Sometimes I put in my lunch destination but ignore the way it wants me to go so it has to recalculate. This way I always know how far from the stop I am while I explore. When I reach a point where I want to get there by a certain time start following the GPS kinda.
Sometimes I put in a destination, and then if the route doesn’t look interesting, I drop in a via in the middle of nowhere so now I am on interesting roads, but still get to my destination.
Sometimes I want to ride specific roads and stop at specific places, so in that case I make a custom route.
Sometimes I just go and try to get lost and when I am hungry I drop in a restaurant address and go there, or I select “home” and see how far away I am to decide if it is time to head towards that way.
So many different ways to use the GPS, that I can’t list them all here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts