Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden my '12 FLTRX to Kansas City and North Carolina with no problems (from Huntsville,AL) but the last couple of trips have really hurt me. I rode to Knoxville in Sept and Aliceville, AL (about 3-1/2 hours each way) a couple of days ago and when I got done my butt felt like I'd been beaten with a bat. Have I suddenly turned into a woose or is there a problem, like my seat? Alice has 130k miles on her.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Maybe a little of both. I don't know how old you are, but things change over time, and the seat may just need to be re-upholstered with new foam. I am a firm believer that a super stiff bike I had in the past contributed to the need for back surgery.

Have you changed your riding position? This sometimes can affect certain body parts in different ways.

I would look into new foam for your seat first.

-Good luck.:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am having the same problem..I think the seats are too wide an cut circulation off at the hamstrings.. Never had that problem with my Road Glide.. Seat shopping this spring for me..

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am having the same problem..I think the seats are too wide an cut circulation off at the hamstrings.. Never had that problem with my Road Glide.. Seat shopping this spring for me..
What a great observation. That might be the reason for the soreness.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If your seat has anywhere near the miles (130K) that the bike does, the foam is probably shot.
A few years ago my FXR was killing my back. I adjusted my handlebars every which way. I got new bars. Nope. My Mustang seat had a split seam, so I sent it out for a new cover and foam. When I got it back I sat higher and my back pain was gone. The old foam had collapsed.
My Yamaha Royal Star Venture had the same problem. I routinely did 800 mile days. Gradually the seat got so bad that my butt was hurting after only 30 miles. I took the cover off and routed in a gel pad. Problem solved.
I suspect that you need seat work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks..I'll book mark that and check into it after Christmas, OR it might end up on someones shopping list..LOL

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Just throwing this out there cuz it happens to me sometimes. If you keep your wallet in one of your back pockets you may be getting alil pain from that as well. I always keep it in my back pocket but when I notice some discomfort I'll put it in my front pocket or in the saddlebag and then the pain will subside. Again just a thought

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Just throwing this out there cuz it happens to me sometimes. If you keep your wallet in one of your back pockets you may be getting alil pain from that as well. I always keep it in my back pocket but when I notice some discomfort I'll put it in my front pocket or in the saddlebag and then the pain will subside. Again just a thought
That's cause you sitting on stacks son.

·
Registered
438 Posts
With 130K the foam in the seat is worn out. Cheap investment to redo the seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts