Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search in this forum to read up on the JDBB. I am converting my 2005 FLHTCI to a Roadglide. It is coming along pretty well. My bike is two tone, chopper blue and silver. I thought I could cheap out and paint the fairing and new front fender chopper blue. I'm kinda not liking that too much. First off, a friend was helping me out and the paint is not a dead on match. Second, it kinda looks funny with the silver blob on the side of the tank. I was planning on saving up for a nicer paint job next winter, but don't want the bike to look freaky until then. So my choices now are:

1. Ride it like it is for a year.
2. Paint the bike Blitz Black or some other hotrod type black.
3. Paint the tank to match the fairing.

I'm leaning towards number 2. Paint the bike. I have a big 80gal air compressor and reasonably clean air. I have a Devilbiss Finishline paint gun. Is it really as simple as scuffing the paint, sanding down the two tone areas and rolling with Blitz Black, or should I seal the whole thing first? How much paint is too much paint to have on the fairing? I started off as Red, is now blue and will go to one more color if I change the color.

Here is a pic of the partially assembled bike.

Thanks for the help!

DOM

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Paint the tank Blue to match the fairing.....gotta be the least expensive option at this point. Ride that blue machine until you have enough $$$ to do a custom paint job that suits you better.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Paint the tank Blue to match the fairing.....gotta be the least expensive option at this point. Ride that blue machine until you have enough $$$ to do a custom paint job that suits you better.
Agreed! Plus it looks like a really good blue!! (though it doesn't match at all)

Paint everything else the blue and rock it for a while :D

My concern with painting everything with that tractor paint would be, how "stable" is it as a substrate when you would paint over it in the future, I don't know :confused: I don't know how (or even if) it would react to the thinners in a "real" paint job. Just some thing to think about or maybe look into

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Agreed! Plus it looks like a really good blue!! (though it doesn't match at all)

Paint everything else the blue and rock it for a while :D

My concern with painting everything with that tractor paint would be, how "stable" is it as a substrate when you would paint over it in the future, I don't know :confused: I don't know how (or even if) it would react to the thinners in a "real" paint job. Just some thing to think about or maybe look into
+2, or it it 3??

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you do decide to go all black use the SEM "Hotrod Flats" catalyzed low gloss black with a good epoxy primer under it so your future jobs will have a fighting chance of not blowing up on you wrinkling as they go over tractor enamel.

If you want that chopper blue to match perfectly use PPG Chopper Blue Pearl B/C 908588 base coat and clear. This isn't a tricoat color and it's quite easy to shoot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help fellers. So assuming I was going to go with the SEM Hotrod paint, what primer would go best with that? When should I start worry about material thickness? How many coats is too many?

So wash with soap and water, then wax and grease, then scuff, epoxy primer, finally the hot rod black?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
PPG DP90LF black epoxy primer is the ultimate primer/sealer, two medium coats is all you need.

Film build issues depend a lot on how the previous jobs were prepped/shot, I've seen factory two tone jobs where they didn't scuff the previous coat and it would peel just by putting tape on it. Also just had a factory CVO job in for repair and you could see where one bag got ran back thru the paint line four different times! Sanded down it looked like rings on a tree.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The front fender and fairing have the factory coat plus one repaint.

The rest of the bike is stock HD chopper blue/silver two tone.

DP90LF plus reducer and hardner?

DBC-913102 for the base, plus DT870 reducer, plus hardner?

Then the SEM hotrod clear?

Can you think of anything else i would need?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have to match anything in particular with this. There is no existing demin to match. The look is good enough. If there is some other products you like that is fine too. It doesn't have to be an exact match.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't have to match anything in particular with this. There is no existing demin to match. The look is good enough. If there is some other products you like that is fine too. It doesn't have to be an exact match.
I really only use PPG products and some assorted SEM products

PPG does have a nice economy clear and epoxy primer line, they each use a seperate activator but the same 870 reducer can be used on the whole product line. You don't need to activate the base coat.

Your local PPG jobber will fix you up with the stuff you need and make sure you grab the tech sheets for each product.

The SEM clear is only if you want a denim finish and it comes with activator and reducer in a nice kit form.

1 pint of base color is more than enough for what you are doing.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
off he subject a bit...the solid blue on the tank and rear fender to match would look good,if you like the blue.BUT......one of the advantages to black,is it always matches.there's only one shade of black,though I'm a fan of shiny black.Any painter will tell you that it's the only color you can paint one panel at a time and it'll all match.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Oddly there is a big difference in Harley black, pre 09 vivid black is straight black toner and is dark as night, 09 and newer vivid black is muddy and lighter, when you put the two side by side it's quite obvious.

They say it's from the paint assembly line switching to water borne finishes and those black toners aren't as deep as the good old black.

And denim black is a different base color all together than vivid black

·
Registered
809 Posts
If money is tight then ride the bike as it is. If the mismatch paint bugs you then just rattle can it. Flatened paints and clears will be a pain for someone not used to painting, they are a one shot deal and you better be able to lay glass. You won't be able to sand out a run or dirt.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I am with Mr.B ride it mismatched. You prolly get more attention than the expensive bikes LOL I don't think t looks bad at all :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Personally I like the JDBB but then again that's the color I wanted for my bike and wasn't just a paint job to hold me over until I really got what I wanted. 'm not a painter by trade but it came out well and I have gotten a lot of compliments on the bike since it was done. I used the JD hardener with the "mix" and it is a very tough paint.
The one thing JD talked about was the "overlap" when spraying and it's tendency to "tiger stripe" of the overlap wasn't sufficient. I followed this and it came out great!
I bought a generic HVLP gun and tested it on some old pieces before I was satisfied enough to paint the bike.
You can view my profile and see the folder with pics of the before/during/and after pics.
I'm with the other guys.......don't paint your bike just to get you by for now. Put it together and ride/enjoy it!! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I call my PPG jobber and due to the fact that I am in MD, they can't sell DBC any more, only water borne. $700 in materials for denim black. What are my options? I'm more leaning toward the hotrod type paint as a preference. I have a friend with a paint booth who will help me with this.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So I call my PPG jobber and due to the fact that I am in MD, they can't sell DBC any more, only water borne. $700 in materials for denim black. What are my options? I'm more leaning toward the hotrod type paint as a preference. I have a friend with a paint booth who will help me with this.
Through the John Deere website you can get 1 gal paint, gal thinner and a qt of hardener for <$100+shipping. Only says not for sale in Calif, Alaska & Hawaii. I'm sure you can get the hardener at a local dealer for a cheaper price but I went with what they recommended.

http://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-Deere-Blitz-Black-Paint-TY25631-TY25642-TY25669.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts