Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a real good paint guy I took my inner to get painted too and for giggles I called the dealership to get a price on paint. When I dropped the parts off i told him the price and he said it might actually be a better price than he can get it. But I asked the parts guy at the dealership what brand paint it would be and he didn't know. Does anyone no for sure what paint the dealership sells? Jus don't want to over pay for cheap paint when my guy can get quality paint for the same price?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've got a real good paint guy I took my inner to get painted too and for giggles I called the dealership to get a price on paint. When I dropped the parts off i told him the price and he said it might actually be a better price than he can get it. But I asked the sales guy what brand paints to would be and he didn't know. Does anyone no for sure what paint the dealership sells? Jus don't want to over pay for cheap paint when my guy can get quality paint for the same price?
Don't split hairs over saving 20 or 30 bucks. I've had pieces painted here and there over many years and the HD Factory paint nails it every time, in fact my painter won't use anything else.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Don't even bother with the Harley parts counter paints!
Your painter will hate you forever and you will end up buying the good PPG paints instead.
It is just an activated acrylic that just sorta mimics the actual color, over the years I have had many guys bring me parts that they have attempted to shoot and wanted them redone the right way.

The PPG formula numbers are above in a sticky post, it might not be cheap but it will be right.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Piant

The dealership near me sells only PPG paint. It is top quality but expensive. I am having my inner fairing and lids with speakers done this winter. The shop I am using has a paint scanner and claims he can used that to get the correct formula for my paint (Candy Orange) then match it with the paint he normally uses. It should cost less than buying the paint from the dealer.

Hawkman

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheap is definitely not what they are. Lol. I got quoted $1000 for a qt of midnight Pearl.
That's crazy, mine is smokey gold and the dealership told me $155 for a quart.

If it's ppg I'm fine buying it but if it ends up being some cheap knock off I rather have my paint guy buy the good stuff. My problem is the guy at the counter had no clue what they would get since it would have to be ordered.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your local PPG jobber can mix the smokey gold pearl for you, it's not a special order at all and a pint of DBC base coat is quite reasonable, that color matches well so you shouldn't have any issues.
The PPG code is, Smokey Gold Met B/C 802851
Did they change the smokey gold over the years. Mines a 2004 and everything I find says the PPG number is B/C 902851?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
This DBC base is purchased from your local PPG auto body supply store, the HD dealer does not sell this.
PPG might make the stuff the dealer sells as they are the OEM supplier to HD assymbly lines but it is formulated for Harley to be used by do it yourself guys and is just an activated acrylic not a base coat/clear coat system used by professional body shops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts