Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had some harley bucks to spend at my local dealer so I bought one of these... LOW PROFILE DASH KIT: 08-19 TOURING
and stole the one of these off of my '08 bonneville...
always loved the monza gas cap in a GT-40/Shelby Cobra kinda way, this is my nod to that.
Now paint. I initially thought just go black, keep it simple, just let it be what it is... now i'm thinking it might be cool to add the billiard red into the mix. i have all three colors for the body work, i've got custom side covers and front fender that i painted factory colors...
Anyhow, i like the look, kinda art-novo...
Anyhow, it might be cool to paint the logical layers alternating B/R, B/R, or some variation...
any in-put?

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I almost want to order one and clear coat it. Love that look, much better than my $25 eBay Nassi knock off
if it were stainless that's exactly what i'd do; to match my exhaust. I built a chopper that had some clear coated mild steel. i like the rat look, just wanted something more "finished" for this bike.
I like the shape too. i had to find something with a flatter top than most of the ones out there so the monza cap would have the clearance to flip. I also wanted it to be the stock width where it met the seat. it was either the DTF one or this one. almost did the DTF one but it's carbon fiber so it wouldn't be stiff enough to take the beating of repeatedly plugging and replugging my helmet into it so landed on this one, i thought i liked the one from DTF better but have ridden with it for a couple of days and feel like it was the better choice. now paint. i'm leaning toward billiard red sides and at the top ridge split to vivid black with the brick red pinstripe. all hd stock colors.
here's the chopper
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
thanks, I found it after I replied. Does the gas cap comes with everything needed to mount it or is there other parts need purchasing?
all you need. it screws in. it's a three part gas cap with some set screws. the set screws are there so you can aline the flip part the way you want. there are cheaper ones out there; Motone makes it and they are known for quality parts in the import world.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i can only speak for the one i have. i got mine from british customs. there used to be three versions; polished, black and a combo of that. this one would be difficult to paint and keep painted at best. they are an old school race cap... shelby cobra, gt-40 cars... paint it and you lose the flavor of it. my opinion. they are cast aluminum.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
this is it so far, i think i have one more step which is to add red. top and bottom stay black. there is a "layer" horizontally in the bend of the dash that i'm going to do billiard red with the red brick pinstripe. basically body colors. i didn't like the way the plug for the headset looked just sticking out so i found an aftermarket carbon fiber piece like the stock one and cut it in last night. cleans it up nicely.

thoughts....?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts