Road Glide banner

Paint is almost finished

8K views 56 replies 30 participants last post by  pit1600 
#1 ·
Spent the weekend masking and painting the details. Need to wet sand again, touch up some orange and silver spots, re-clear, then wet sand and buff. Slow going with my day job and children consuming most of my weekdays/nights, but a couple of more weekends and she’ll be ready to go back together.

See less See more
#4 ·
That's really sharp. I like the fairing and how the tour Pak is tied in with it. Looking forward to seeing the tank.

Screamin'
The tank may surprise you. I’m waiting on a new set of emblems, but here are a couple pics of the rough in. The concept I’m going for are gloss black on the face that will only be seen dimensionally but with orange edges so they stand out ever so slightly. I wasn’t happy with the 3D printed plastic versions but I’ve got some metal ones on the way. If I don’t like those, I’ll probably paint a bar and shield with white and orange.

Reactions: thedude and Bevis
#6 ·
I can’t either!

I’ve had this thing about since September for the most part. Motor first, got to ride it a bit for break in miles then off to tuner, then as soon as I got it back I tore it down for fat front tire, front and rear air ride, changed the bars, painting it (of course) and now I’m rethinking the sound system (again). I’m excited to see what it will look like and see how changing basically everything feels.

Reactions: Keg69 and madmat
#9 ·
Looking good...looking forward to seeing it back together with all the mods you've done.

#16 ·
Thanks guys! To be clear though, I don’t do the actual spraying. I make the design, do the wet sanding, cut out the stencils for the graphics in the design, help with the making, then a buddy of mine that owns a body shop does the actual spraying. I’m learning, but he has the paint booth and 20 years experience with that paint gun in his hand so I leave it to him.

That aside, I’m really excited about the new tank emblems. They arrived today and I couldn’t wait to open them when I got home tonight. I can’t wait to get them on the bike this weekend. They are painted metal with the tank curve already in them.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I put the new tank emblems on today. Pics don’t do them or the bike justice. SO excited to get it back together, but my painter buddy had to go out of town for a family emergency. I’m praying for him and his family and that’s more important than my bike for sure.

I love how the subtle badges tie the motor and gauge bezels together.

You can see the edges nicely from the rear too

#23 ·
All the paint is done and back home. I‘ve got to finish the audio and tune before I can put it fully back together (hopefully this week) but here she is with the saddlebags and side covers.

#25 ·
Looks great.
How’d fairing turn out?
Thanks berndt!

I think the fairing looks great, but I haven’t been able to put it on the bike yet. I spent the entire weekend installing audio components. It was a heck of a puzzle fitting 3 amps; a DSR1 tuner, WHIM and Soundz modules and all of the wiring. I hope to get it tuned tomorrow or Wednesday and be able to put the faIring on. Tuesday is our wedding anniversary, so I won’t be working on the bike that evening.

#26 ·
Damn @BlueJob that looks good and mean. I've been ordering and stock piling parts for my bike.

#27 ·
@Bevis - You still waiting on the dealership to rebuild the motor?

What have you stock piled so far?

#31 ·
Bike is fully assembled. I just have to get it up to the dealer to bleed the brakes and it’ll be ready to ride. I‘ll snap some pictures out in the sunlight when I get it out of the garage, but here are a couple in the midnight garage lighting when I finished up.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.