Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my monster round exhaust tips are flaking the chrome off. They are two years old and I have broken down the beast for mods. I was able to get the tips off and now wonder.......whats the best fix.

High temp paint seems easy enough, or is ceramic powder a better choice.?

How should I prep the tips for either solution?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Jet Hot, ceramic coated, or VHT 1300-2000 degree paint. Obviously the VHT would be the cheapest. About $9 a can. I have had great luck with getting head pipes ceramic coated. About to try the VHT for the first time. You actually have to heat treat the VHT spray paint. Instructions are on the can.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The best way to prep in my opinion whether painting or powdering is to sandblast the old finish off in a blasting cabinet. If you don't know anyone with a cabinet you can borrow mine. I'm not far from you. I have a powder coat machine as well. If you pick up some ceramic powder you can knock it out here in about an hours time.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ceramic coating only way to go on exhaust. Paint and powder will eventually burn off. Definitely have to take down to bare metal by media blasting before ceramic coating. It will cost more up front for ceramic but you will only do it once. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've had good luck with VHT. The muffler tips are the coolest part of the system. An occasional respray is easy enough.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
So my monster round exhaust tips are flaking the chrome off. They are two years old and I have broken down the beast for mods. I was able to get the tips off and now wonder.......whats the best fix.

High temp paint seems easy enough, or is ceramic powder a better choice.?

How should I prep the tips for either solution?
Bring them with you.........I should have enough Satin Ceramic left to do you tips.......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paint or Powder

Hull: Thanks for the offer, it is greatly appreciated.

Jetman: Will do, they are in the box.

Everyone else, thanks for the info, I'll keep the VHT paint in mind for the ol'lady's tips if they go flakey. Let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Got my thunder header ceramic coated and started flaking after a couple of rides, getting pipe redone under warranty. Just pain in the ass to remove and install again and drive an hour each way to paint shop, hopefully this time it lasts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts