Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna know the worst feeling in the world? Have you bike get towed?. I guess they didn't like my parking spot, but oh well, she's back home safe and sound. The tow company wrote on my windshield with a paint pen, does anyone know what would be safe to use to remove it without frosting the windscreen?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I can't think of anything but maybe alcohol that would not affect the finish of the windshield.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wanna know the worst feeling in the world? Have you bike get towed?. I guess they didn't like my parking spot, but oh well, she's back home safe and sound. The tow company wrote on my windshield with a paint pen, does anyone know what would be safe to use to remove it without frosting the windscreen?
Try using wd-40 it works on sharpie permanent marker

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Try Novus fine scratch remover.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don't use a product containing ammonia. Ammonia on windshields and most elsewhere on our FLTR is bad. At Sam's Club, there is a windshield cleaner in a white and light blue can, with big letters "Contains No Amonia." Sold in packs of four spray cans. I use that to clean my motorcycles nowadays, not soap and water.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Call the tow company and demand a new windshield! They are not suppose to damage the vehicles they tow. A Paint marker is fine for glass surfaces but why would you use one on plastic or fiberglass, etc.. Ask them if they would ever write on the hood of a car with a paint marker they tow? Betting not and they will say "We would never do that! it would damage the paint" If they don't want to tell them see you in small claims court...

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Call the tow company and demand a new windshield! They are not suppose to damage the vehicles they tow. A Paint marker is fine for glass surfaces but why would you use one on plastic or fiberglass, etc.. Ask them if they would ever write on the hood of a car with a paint marker they tow? Betting not and they will say "We would never do that! it would damage the paint" If they don't want to tell them see you in small claims court...
I totally agree, on glass a paint pen is fine because a razor blade will take it right off.

They should have used a wax pen.

Of course it's going to turn into a total hassle.

Time for a new LRS Stingray windshield for around & $80.00 shipped to your house.

Good Luck

Swomack

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well WD-40 didn't work?. If alcohol doesn't work, it might be time for a new windshield. I was gonna get one anyway, but not yet dammit. Does anything think acetone would be OK to try if the alcohol doesn't work?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well WD-40 didn't work?. If alcohol doesn't work, it might be time for a new windshield. I was gonna get one anyway, but not yet dammit. Does anything think acetone would be OK to try if the alcohol doesn't work?
No ... If you mess up the windshield trying to clean it you'll have no recourse to go after the tow company be cause they'll say you did it wrong.

Go after the tow company first. If they want to try something that permanently fogs the windshield...fine. Then they have to replace it.

I had to do it once years ago after some clown tried lifting the bike with a chain wrapped underneath the (now flattened) $300 header.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Unless you're willing to possibly haze the coating on the shield, I'd mock it if you can simulate first.
Don't use any fancy MCL benzene toluene xylene ..they will eat your shield
I'd try a little fingernail polish remover ,not sttaight acetone on a little pad wrapped around a poop cycle stick on little corner first..... or maybe a little mineral spirits
You can't use scotch brite, but magic eraser may help
Gotta disolve or mechanical
be ready to rinse/neutralize if it might continue to attack
I know, but Don't think Tequila should be wasted

·
Registered
64 Posts
Denatured alcohol will melt acrylic paint but won't damage the plastic. Please try in an inconspicuous spot on the windshield. I would remove it and test below fairing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Lift off #4 graffiti remover. Look at the video on YouTube it shows them using it in a taillight with now hazing, not sure how it would work on your shield. I agree with everyone else I would take it to them and let them remove it but this might work if they are not willing to cooperate.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
If there's methylene chloride (MCL) IN the graffiti remover it'll attack the plastic, works great for removing plastic or tar from chome , used cold or hot,

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could try a clay bar. Worked great for me when I got overspray all over both of my bikes. If you go back to the idiot tow company record what ever they do because they will swear they never do any damage to anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts