Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to get an idea of what a fair price is for painting two extended saddlebag bottoms in denim black. I'd appreciate anyone that has had paint done on aftermarket extended bags chiming in.

I want a good to great paint job. Not looking for cheap alternatives. The quality of the paint and paint match is important, but I don't want to overpay either.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I went to a reputable paint shop inquiring some paint work. They told me to paint a fender, and saddle bags they wanted $850.00, with me supplying the paint and dropping off the bike and parts uninstalled. They also specified that price was based on the assumption I was bringing Baddad or Top Shop parts. They said they are almost ready for paint out of the box.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you are looking for bags alone, I think you can source pre-painted items ready to bolt on. Just checked out Hogworks website and they sell denim black stretched bags for $528.00.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Whatever you decide to do, if you're going to have parts painted denim black, make sure and use a painter that has experience with it. It can be a real bitch to match your existing factory denim black.

Lil Chief

·
Super Moderator
12,316 Posts
I went to a reputable paint shop inquiring some paint work. They told me to paint a fender, and saddle bags they wanted $850.00, with me supplying the paint and dropping off the bike and parts uninstalled. They also specified that price was based on the assumption I was bringing Baddad or Top Shop parts. They said they are almost ready for paint out of the box.
Unless you have a hard to match color, that's a bit high IMHO, you're supplying the paint and doing the installation of parts.......... I have Top Shop bags and fender, my painter told me it took him less than an hour to prep, he used House of Kolor paint, I didn't supply anything, and I paid about the price you're being quoted........three colors. I said for my 17 I may try factory match.com (my painter moved), I haven't checked, but I doubt their price will be as high as what you're quoted. If so........I know some good auto painting shops that have good warranty if it's for single color.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Everyone has told me denim black is mofo in every respect. They all said they loved the color but will NEVER own it again. You cant match it easily, you cant fix it, you cant buff out scratches.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are looking for bags alone, I think you can source pre-painted items ready to bolt on. Just checked out Hogworks website and they sell denim black stretched bags for $528.00.
Thanks Slow. I've actually been looking at the Hogworkz 4" extended bags. Their price is affordable and they seem to get decent reviews. I'm just hesitant to try anything "economy" right now after a month and half long effort working with Mutazu extended bags. The Mutazu bags also came highly recommended - even by some of our fellow RG brothers here - but unfortunately the set I purchased had some significant quality issues with the ABS bag itself (wavy, uneven, ridges, valleys etc.) in the side wall. Gina at Mutazu was fantastic in making the refund right, but here almost two months later I'm still without the extended bags I was hoping to have in time for riding season. Part of the delay was waiting on their newest shipment of bags, that unfortunately had the same molding issues that were present on the first set of the bags I bought from them.

I'm not in a spot (nor do I ever think I could be) that I'm willing to spend $1300 or more getting extended bags on my bike. I envy those around here that can and will spend that kind of money on Top Shop and other high end bags. I just don't think I'll ever be one of those guys :( I'm way too much of a penny pincher.

I guess my only other options are to take a crap shoot on something like the Hogworkz bags pre-painted in Denim Black, or just wait for someone ready to part with their OEM CVO style bags.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Unless you have a hard to match color, that's a bit high IMHO, you're supplying the paint and doing the installation of parts.......... I have Top Shop bags and fender, my painter told me it took him less than an hour to prep, he used House of Kolor paint, I didn't supply anything, and I paid about the price you're being quoted........three colors. I said for my 17 I may try factory match.com (my painter moved), I haven't checked, but I doubt their price will be as high as what you're quoted. If so........I know some good auto painting shops that have good warranty if it's for single color.
Mirage Orange Pearl. They didn't want to try and color match so they said buy Harley paint. Then they said they would play with the pearl/tint to match the bikes color.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Exactly what BlazingSaddle said, PM RoadHawg!
Mike is a great guy who does fantastic paint jobs in any color from what I know.
I had him paint my Klock Werks wrapped front fender and couldn't be happier.
If I was in the market to get my Vivid Black Roadglide painted a different color I wouldn't hesitate to ship all my parts to Mike and have him paint them for me.
Mike U.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just had my entire bike done in black denim. Top Shop rear fender and extended bags. Bad Dad lids, and front fender. Original fairing, side covers and tank. I took apart and reassembled all the parts myself. $2000. My painter showed me a sample of his black denim before I hired him. Bike turned out great.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback guys. The local custom rod shop that repaired and repainted my tank after an unfortunate tool accident quoted me $900 to paint the virgin bags and lids. Then Mike contacted me yesterday and gave me a very fair quote to paint just the bottoms. As a bonus Mike just happens to live in the same town that my grandparents retired in, and are laid to rest there as well. Small world...............

I also talked to Jon at Horny Toad and he can get the OEM CVO bags in denim black. They are a bit pricey, but when all is said and done comparative cost wise to what I would spend on aftermarket bags and paint.

As of this morning I'm leaning towards just springing for the CVO bags and calling it done. I shouldn't have any issues scrapping in the corners (sometimes I ride hard when I'm by myself, and most of the other time I'm loaded down with the Mrs. and gear). I'm not a super huge fan of the tapered CVO bags, but there are some benefits going that route. Expected OEM quality out of the box, paint match should be pretty much on and a little more ground clearance for the tight twistys.

Anything else I should be considering before I pull the trigger on the CVO bags? How many of you like the way the CVO bags look on a bike that actually gets ridden as a touring bike?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am working with a local painter who does a lot of custom work for the dealer I bought my 15 RG from. The fairing had a large sticker on it from the previous owner which left a residue in the black denim paint. He quoted me $250 to sand, repaint, and clear (2 different coats for the denim) the entire outer fairing, which I took off the bike and delivered to the shop. I would have to say $850 is a little high myself.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Everyone has told me denim black is mofo in every respect. They all said they loved the color but will NEVER own it again. You cant match it easily, you cant fix it, you cant buff out scratches.
I would own it again. I thought it was great. simple to take care of. sure, you can't buff out scratches, but that's one of the points of the denim, as it ages, it gets 'character'. I never had any issues with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts