Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone installed one of the color matched air/heat deflectors? A couple of issues - see them offered from HogWorkz or Revzilla for about about $60 for a vivid black, then some on ebay for $20 that appear identical. Secondly, some folks say 30 minute install, others say wouldn't do it again, no way no how.

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Depends on the frame, on my 2015 you had to use those expanding nuts that fit into the hex holes on the frame. Never had to much luck with those, even using an in-lb torque wrench, Ended up using a thru bolt with a fender washer and nut on the back. Pain in the ass is an understatement
On the 2020 frame, the holes are tapped so a bolt just threads in, yep easy peasy

Reactions: Ceez

·
Registered
249 Posts
Had mine painted when the custom paint work was done. Deliberately wanted them to not draw attention, but to look ‘finished’ and nice. I’d do them every time on any future bikes.

AD35D7E8-1450-4D1D-ABCD-E9EDE8CDDD89.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Never a big fan of those so i went the naked route...or deflector-less:p
1C36B7E1-5D44-45A5-A71E-ABC448DD0952.jpeg

·
Registered
155 Posts
IMG_20200508_155744.jpg

Pretty easy install.

Reactions: Zedbra and Oclaf

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'll admit the "main reason" I installed them on mine was to hide the coil wire on the right side. 😂

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,749 Posts
Depends on the frame, on my 2015 you had to use those expanding nuts that fit into the hex holes on the frame. Never had to much luck with those, even using an in-lb torque wrench, Ended up using a thru bolt with a fender washer and nut on the back. Pain in the ass is an understatement
On the 2020 frame, the holes are tapped so a bolt just threads in, yep easy peasy
Those expanding nuts are usually called rivnuts and can be a pain, though fir these heat deflectors, the rivnuts do not need to be insanely tight in the frame, the deflectors weigh mere grams.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts

I also went the painted eBay route. I had the Factory ones on my 2009. No painted available. They’re too much money for such an easy item.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Those expanding nuts are usually called rivnuts and can be a pain, though fir these heat deflectors, the rivnuts do not need to be insanely tight in the frame, the deflectors weigh mere grams.
YEP, rivets, used them alot, all though in larger sizes. The torque spec escapes me right now, but I installed them with my Snap On inch lb torque wrench.They spun upon reaching spec. In hindsight, should have just snugged them down.
But that issue is behind me now and have a boatload of new ones now🤣🤣

1 - 13 of 13 Posts