Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some insight as to how much paint it would take to paint an older king tour pak? I am no painter, but my guess is a pint. Should the old color be stripped off or can it be painted over and is one supplier better than another for the paint? Going with Velocity Red.
Thank you all!

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Red is one of the more expensive colors to buy. I had my tour pak painted buy a painter and if I remember right I think he needed about a pint of paint. I did all the tear down of the tour pak and it cost me $300 to have it painted, the old paint didn't need to be stripped but it needs to be scuffed up and cleaned real good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get some prep all in a can or just use thinner to quickly wipe the old paint down. Then if you have a da sander sand with 1000 grit. If you don't have a da just wet sand with 1000. You should probably need about a pint of paint. Manufacturer of paint is irrelevant. I've painted half my bike with ppg envirobase hp and half of it with DuPont cromax. I'm a painter. It's what I do for a living. I swear the ppg vs DuPont vs glasurit vs whatever is like what's better chevy or ford. With all that being said cost of color is determined but what pearls or tints are used in the formula. Honestly your best bet is just pay someone to do it. I encourage people to try painting on their own but if you want it done once and well with no errors your better off just paying someone

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased a "factory pack" or whatever its called and had enough to paint a king tour pak and two speaker lids. Was told there was some left. Dont know yet havent picked up the leftovers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts