Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking at bringing my inner fairing plastics to the paint shop. Now, my question is; should I try and let the painter get a close match on the paint or should I buy the HD paint and bring it in?

My color is Mirage Orange, and I have the paint code. If I were to buy the paint, where would I buy it from?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
dinggus, get a hold of RoadHawg on here.
He's the owner of Mike's Hawg Paint in California.
He does awesome work and can probably help you out.
Mike's a great guy and I know many members have had him do paint for them and have been extremely satisfied.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dinggus, get a hold of RoadHawg on here.
He's the owner of Mike's Hawg Paint in California.
He does awesome work and can probably help you out.
Mike's a great guy and I know many members have had him do paint for them and have been extremely satisfied.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.
Thank you, I don't know how he can help other than either help me with the paint code or sell me paint. I live in Europe.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
You're welcome Brother.
I'm sure if you get a hold of Mike he can get you the right info on the paint you're looking for so you can make sure you get the right paint.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sent you a pm Dingus

Mirage Orange is a tricky tri coat but the PPG code (found above in the pinned post) is a perfect match.
The colorite paints and the stuff from the Harley dealer parts counter rarely match and only attempt to mimic the more complex tri coat colors

I did the topshop bags, rear fender and speaker lids on this bike a few years ago,

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sent you a pm Dingus

Mirage Orange is a tricky tri coat but the PPG code (found above in the pinned post) is a perfect match.
The colorite paints and the stuff from the Harley dealer parts counter rarely match and only attempt to mimic the more complex tri coat colors

I did the topshop bags, rear fender and speaker lids on this bike a few years ago,

Btw, this is one of the colors where a HD factory pre painted inner fairing might be a better option, it might cost a little more but would be less headaches in the long run.
The bags look good. Is PPG a company?

Should I even try to see if my painter can get a match? My buddy had to get his rim painted for his car, the painter got a 94% match (according to the computer) and it looks the same as his other rims.

I already cut speaker holes in my inner fairing, so it's either I get it painted to match, or just go out and by black spray paint.

But then I'm buying a rear kit as well, so the fender and bags will need to be painted as well.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Painted Harley fairings here in Jacksonville FL will send you a prepainted one and might even have your color in stock, Paul does an excellent job (904) 589-5253 he also does installs if you can catch him at a rally or bring the bike by his shop

edit: oops i just saw you were in europe..

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
PPG is a major paint company and you should have some auto body supply stores in Europe that sell their automotive finishes
The PPG formula number you want to use is "Mirage Orange 904763"
Guess I'll see if the painter can do it.

I put a gloss black in recent fairing on a different MirageOrange RG and it actually looked pretty darn good ��
Have any photo's? I don't know if I'd go with gloss black, since all my blacked out items seem to be textured black.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Sent you a pm Dingus

What he says about the PPG Paint is accurate. I had my rusted fenders replaced. Found a mis-ordered rear fender in blue at a Harley Dealer for $100.00 less than a Primered one would cost. Had a buddy who paints cars use the PPG Matching color code and it worked perfectly. Just be sure to get the right code, there are a lot of Harley Orange's in the PPG Book. As I recall, Mirage Orange Pearl is listed under 2007 (mine is a 2009, which did not list it).

If you have your heart set on Matching the inner, go for it. For my bike, I thought having the inner Mirage Orange was just too much orange, so I had my inner fairing done in Vivid Black. You would think that is too close to the bare plastic, but it really did make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What he says about the PPG Paint is accurate. I had my rusted fenders replaced. Found a mis-ordered rear fender in blue at a Harley Dealer for $100.00 less than a Primered one would cost. Had a buddy who paints cars use the PPG Matching color code and it worked perfectly. Just be sure to get the right code, there are a lot of Harley Orange's in the PPG Book. As I recall, Mirage Orange Pearl is listed under 2007 (mine is a 2009, which did not list it).

If you have your heart set on Matching the inner, go for it. For my bike, I thought having the inner Mirage Orange was just too much orange, so I had my inner fairing done in Vivid Black. You would think that is too close to the bare plastic, but it really did make a big difference.
Do you have any photos of yours?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts