Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my regular painter has been down for a couple weeks with a back issue and I am left with extended bags and lids sitting in my den just waiting to be painted. While I have been powdercoating the chrome parts, I've just about convinced myself to take a shot at doing the bags, lids, and inner myself after reading through FLTRXpilots thread here (http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=94801&highlight=prep+saddlebags) I have a good compressor (kobalt 80 gallon) so air shouldn't be an issue for me. I also have a good friend who is letting me borrow his hvlp guns to shoot. I've never shot from an hvlp gun so any advise there is appreciated. I will be shooting single stage urethane vivid black. My main questions revolve around the bag prep and painting steps. I have the V-twin mfg CVO style bags (they seem pretty smooth) and the hog tunes lids. So far from what I have gathered, for the bags and inner i will need to:
1. wash with a good dish soap or wipe with alcohol
2. shoot with adhesion promoter (how many coats?)
3. 2 coats primer (is this needed with AP?)
4. Block with 400
4. shoot with paint ( 1 light 2 medium coats)

The lids should just take a decent washing with soap and then can take a couple coats since they are already primed.

Anyone who has any input would be greatly appreciated before I attempt this next weekend.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have a friend that went to school for that stuff and while he doesn't do body work or painting now, the next two tips were probably the most important and was a game changer for me in applying paint to surface

1. you hand holding the the gun must move parallel with the paint surface. If it curves you need to move with that curve. You arm must move like a machine

2. Learn to watch the paint being applied to the surface of your object.

Once I practiced this my game stepped up considerably.

Practice shooting on something else to make sure you get the right setting and start your spraying before your object and follow thru past it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I've got some spare metal laying around the garage I will probably shoot first to check settings and fan pattern.

·
Registered
809 Posts
So my regular painter has been down for a couple weeks with a back issue and I am left with extended bags and lids sitting in my den just waiting to be painted. While I have been powdercoating the chrome parts, I've just about convinced myself to take a shot at doing the bags, lids, and inner myself after reading through FLTRXpilots thread here (http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=94801&highlight=prep+saddlebags) I have a good compressor (kobalt 80 gallon) so air shouldn't be an issue for me. I also have a good friend who is letting me borrow his hvlp guns to shoot. I've never shot from an hvlp gun so any advise there is appreciated. I will be shooting single stage urethane vivid black. My main questions revolve around the bag prep and painting steps. I have the V-twin mfg CVO style bags (they seem pretty smooth) and the hog tunes lids. So far from what I have gathered, for the bags and inner i will need to:
1. wash with a good dish soap or wipe with alcohol
2. shoot with adhesion promoter (how many coats?)
3. 2 coats primer (is this needed with AP?)
4. Block with 400
4. shoot with paint ( 1 light 2 medium coats)

The lids should just take a decent washing with soap and then can take a couple coats since they are already primed.

Anyone who has any input would be greatly appreciated before I attempt this next weekend.

Personally I would 80 grit it all, apply 2 or 3 coats of primer. After the primer dries then apply a guide coat ; I usually use rattle can primer: then block wet. This way you can see how wavey the fiberglass is and more importantly if there are any pin wholes that need to be fixed. The inner I would use 320 or 400 and wet sand it along with a red scotch brite pad for the hard to reach areas. Then prime, no A/P needed if you prep good and prime it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Do not sand or scotchbrite on the raw abs bags, you will have a hard time with the scratches fuzzing back up on you. Wipe them down good with alcohol or use Sprayway window cleaner then use the adhesion promoter, follow with a good epoxy primer like the PPG DPLF line in the color best for your topcoat.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't care much for it either Frankie, this is pretty much the only time I use the stuff.
Everything else I paint gets epoxy primer first, it's cheap insurance and your best bet the finish is staying put! After painting aircraft for 30 years doing bikes is child's play and still enjoyable to do ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I don't care much for it either Frankie, this is pretty much the only time I use the stuff.
Everything else I paint gets epoxy primer first, it's cheap insurance and your best bet the finish is staying put! After painting aircraft for 30 years doing bikes is child's play and still enjoyable to do ;)
I am not knocking the product, there are way to many people that use it with success. In my case I just prefer a deeper scratch, if I have to I will hit it with a second round of primer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the helpful advise so far. How much primer will I need? And would I be better off just buying that in a rattle can? I'm looking at using the Bulldog adhesion promoter. I'm assuming a 15oz can of that should be enough? Or will I need 2 of those

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do. Any suggestion on a suitable rattle can primer? Or am I much better off just getting a quart of epoxy primer and spraying through the gun? Would a quart be enough for the bags and inner? Also should I block the epoxy before shooting the single stage?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Decided to just hit the bags with the Eastwood Epoxy primer (1:1 so 2 quarts) and then the Eastwood black single stage urethane (3:1 (1 quart 8oz) . Should a quart of both be enough for the bags/lids/inner or will I need more?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Decided to just hit the bags with the Eastwood Epoxy primer (1:1 so 2 quarts) and then the Eastwood black single stage urethane (3:1 (1 quart 8oz) . Should a quart of both be enough for the bags/lids/inner or will I need more?
Should be enough, will depend on how it covers. I wiuldn't use the eastwood paints. Go to you local ppg dealer and get the right color mixed up. Just like white, black isn't black. There can be different levels of blues and violits mixed in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts