Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Google News pushed this link @ me

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/366533/harley-davidson-panamerica-prototype-spotted/

so i clicked it & there's a nice picture of what the beast is gonna look like,
but i really posted the article, cuz someone in it commented that the PA is the 'lovechild' of a Road Glide & an Africa Twin.
...... i don't 'see' the RG genes, but if there's any in there, that's gotta be a good thing
...... and ........ i don't know what an Africa Twin is, so maybe i oughta look it up & find out if i can get a test ride

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Google News pushed this link @ me

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/366533/harley-davidson-panamerica-prototype-spotted/

so i clicked it & there's a nice pictures of what the beast is gonna look like,
but i really posted the article, cuz someone in it commented that the PA is the 'lovechild' of a Road Glide & an Africa Twin.
...... i don't 'see' the RG genes, but if there's any in there, that's gotta be a good thing
...... and ........ i don't know what an Africa Twin is, so maybe i oughta look it up & find out if i can get a test ride
The Africa Twin is a very capable and reliable adventure bike, but a little boring.

The Road Glide is a beast with loads of character and torque.

The offspring of these two could be something special if it inherits the best attributes of each.

Hopefully Harley builds a top tier bike and isn't too late to the Adventure bike scene.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
A year ago this was going to be the highlight of the 2020 introductions. But it didn't happen, so we got a reintroduction to the Liveware in its place.

As of this Monday, the new wet motor has not been certified by CARB. So this scooter and its follow on brethren are still a ways off.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
There is a link on that page to an interesting article regarding bike and adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I haven't ridden the Africa Twin, but every review of that thing talks about how good it is after spending weeks at a time with it. I am curious.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
The AT is a SOLID Platform and a helluva a bike to boot and I think the fixed faring of the RG is where the article is drawing from
I haven't ridden the Africa Twin, but every review of that thing talks about how good it is after spending weeks at a time with it. I am curious.
Yes a solid platform and a bike you can easily live with day to day.

I took an extended test ride on a used one back to back with KTM's Adventure R and Super Adventure bikes.

The KTMs were like riding thoroughbred race horses. Exciting, challenging, but not something you would want to live with every day. Excessive heat from the rear cylinder and high spirited.

The Honda on the other hand was like a well worn trail horse. It knows the way home and will always get you there, but no excitement.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Twist your right wrist further and all bikes can be exciting >:)
If you find predictable exciting. :grin::wink::laugh:

My take on Honda in general is that they are great motorcycles just like they are great cars. I just don't get excited about owning any of them. Sure they have outliers, but in general my opinion stands.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
but in general my opinion stands.
As does mine....twist further on that throttle, dump the clutch with low revs and work up to higher, go into a turn faster, lean further, drift the rear out of a turn........all these things can make a boring bike fun with throttle control (or lack thereof) and some clutch play......no such thing as a boring bike.......boring rider, yes, boring roads, yes, boring bike...........naaaaahh, not buyin it...............and my opinion stands.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
As does mine....twist further on that throttle, dump the clutch with low revs and work up to higher, go into a turn faster, lean further, drift the rear out of a turn........all these things can make a boring bike fun with throttle control (or lack thereof) and some clutch play......no such thing as a boring bike.......boring rider, yes, boring roads, yes, boring bike...........naaaaahh, not buyin it...............and my opinion stands.

Come ride my Van Van. :grin:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
S.E. Thanks for diagnosing my “syndrome”.........I’m obviously a boring rider! :serious::(:crying:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
every bike i've owned had had its own personality.

some are fun, some are super reliable; but the ones i have always loved (and remembered) are the ones that tempt me to do bad things lol

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
For a second I thought you were talking about women lol
that's the way i look at bikes.
some you have to push start, running up and down the street, jumpin' on and hangin' on.
some you just have to push the right button.

some like to be wrung out and put away dirty.
some need to be carefully gone over and kept clean or they ain't satisfied.

some want you to spend money on them. some are easy and willin'

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I’ll have to agree with SE here, I have ridden an owned some bikes that people would say are boring bikes and I simply changed the way I rode them to put some excitement in them. It actually is fun hammering hard on a bike that is under powered and a bit boring.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
It actually is fun hammering hard on a bike that is under powered and a bit boring.
After all many did it for years on our Harley's! The aftermarket has come a long way in development of big bore kits and cams the last 10-15 years for the everyday riders. Before that there weren't that many options and the power boost could be minimal if you wanted to keep reliability.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts