Road Glide banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@JacktheBagger why don't you build exactly what you want?
prolly be cheaper, with modern, more reliable parts.
sometimes "The Glory Days" hide all the problems with keeping those old scooters running.
and you can call it yours forever!
True dat , you can get a S&S crate motor for around 8 grand ..

Back then for around $500 , maybe a bit more , you could bullet proof those motors , it would cost a bit more today with inflation .. But they were pretty reliable , shovels more so than pans , even though they were almost all common parts .. You just had to stay on top of stuff and be prepared to spend some time going over the bike to make sure nothing fell off ..
I would change out the ignition and charging system and upgrade what few wire connections there are to the stuff they're using now ..
The beauty of those bikes is the shovel was the last bike that all you needed to work on it were common hand tools and a multimeter . Once radios and extra lighting became the norm and eventually FI and EPA crap , you started getting into the realm of shops and special equipment that most of us couldn't justify the expense ..
I don't need no radio , can't tell you when I turned mine on last .. But I need speakers too , so there ..
But alas on we go I ain't fixin' to right now anyways ..

JtB

·
Administrator
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So changing the subject ever so slightly , but still on course , my Pan and Shovels were gone by the time unleaded came the norm ..
Did any of you get the no lead head work done that was all the rage back then ?? Or was it a solution looking for a problem ?? We needed the lead , but I don't know if it was the issue that it was made out to be ..

JtB

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
True dat , you can get a S&S crate motor for around 8 grand ..

Back then for around $500 , maybe a bit more , you could bullet proof those motors , it would cost a bit more today with inflation .. But they were pretty reliable , shovels more so than pans , even though they were almost all common parts .. You just had to stay on top of stuff and be prepared to spend some time going over the bike to make sure nothing fell off ..
I would change out the ignition and charging system and upgrade what few wire connections there are to the stuff they're using now ..
The beauty of those bikes is the shovel was the last bike that all you needed to work on it were common hand tools and a multimeter . Once radios and extra lighting became the norm and eventually FI and EPA crap , you started getting into the realm of shops and special equipment that most of us couldn't justify the expense ..
I don't need no radio , can't tell you when I turned mine on last .. But I need speakers too , so there ..
But alas on we go I ain't fixin' to right now anyways ..

JtB
So true. I remember doing a blown head gasket miles from home, in the motel parking lot using only hand tools and experience.
I’m going to find an old Shovel for putt’n around town. My RG for trips.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did any of you get the no lead head work done that was all the rage back then ?? Or was it a solution looking for a problem?
Def a solution looking for a problem. Way overblown, that issue. I knew guys who switched to unleaded without a second thought and had years of ''no valve seat issues whatsoever''. I was one of them. Hardened valve seats? Kinda like valve shims, if you ask me....

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Def a solution looking for a problem. Way overblown, that issue. I knew guys who switched to unleaded without a second thought and had years of ''no valve seat issues whatsoever''. I was one of them. Hardened valve seats? Kinda like valve shims, if you ask me....
The “Hardened Valve Seats” were not an immediate problem. But would lead to long term degradation of the valve seats, leading to compression leakage. So most that didn’t upgrade would only see problems over time, and only if had high mileage.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Feel like I just got a "crash course" on the "ins and outs" of HD's when I came of age! I, like a lot of guys I think, started on Jap bike while waiting for "the moment" to move up to the "big boys",(if you can call a Sporty a "big boy"). Short,(hopefully) funny story; when I got my sporty I was working in a grocery warehouse and an older guy bought a Low Rider shortly after. I rode mine to work every non-snowy day so I bought full leathers and one night on break he says in front of all the guys; "yea, Jack's a real biker, riding that "girls bike" with full leather, etc.,etc.". His name was Jack also and my comeback, which was the absolute truth, was , "Nah, Jack's the real biker, he rides his for 1 mile to the bar and parks it on the sidewalk right outside the door and after having a few rides his one mile back home". This I knew to be true because we lived very close to each other and he rarely rode to work and almost everytime I went by that bar his bike was sitting there, in the same spot! OK, funny memory for me! Sorry if I bored y'all.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Feel like I just got a "crash course" on the "ins and outs" of HD's when I came of age! I, like a lot of guys I think, started on Jap bike while waiting for "the moment" to move up to the "big boys",(if you can call a Sporty a "big boy"). Short,(hopefully) funny story; when I got my sporty I was working in a grocery warehouse and an older guy bought a Low Rider shortly after. I rode mine to work every non-snowy day so I bought full leathers and one night on break he says in front of all the guys; "yea, Jack's a real biker, riding that "girls bike" with full leather, etc.,etc.". His name was Jack also and my comeback, which was the absolute truth, was , "Nah, Jack's the real biker, he rides his for 1 mile to the bar and parks it on the sidewalk right outside the door and after having a few rides his one mile back home". This I knew to be true because we lived very close to each other and he rarely rode to work and almost everytime I went by that bar his bike was sitting there, in the same spot! OK, funny memory for me! Sorry if I bored y'all.
I hope y'all know me well enough by now to know that I wasn't dissin' anybody that likes to ride to a "joint", have a few, and head back home. My cousin,(that I bought this '04 RG from) mostly rode no more than an hour from home to a bbq joint,(and if you know anything about Tennessee they are stuck in every little nook and cranny you can imagine, LITERALLY), for lunch, and then back home. Most times that I was with him he'd take me to a new overlook for the Tennessee or Cumberland river. :) I say ride to your enjoyment,(mine happens to be country roads in the middle of nowhere) whenever, wherever that may be. Hopefully when I get this thing "road ready" and get to feeling better I can start doing some "longer distance" stuff. There's always the Pattis' run with @JacktheBagger and that little gang! :eek::coffee::coffee::ROFLMAO::LOL::cool: @Nordic Berserker, thanks for the tune; very cool!

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,867 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,867 Posts
41 - 53 of 53 Posts