Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a beautiful day in New York for a ride today!

I have a '15 RGS and to be honest, I'm too cheap to buy a new seat for the occasional ride along with my wife (we are talking about maybe 4 times a year and no more than an hour total each ride). The factory seat is fine for me but she hates it. I'm sure I would hate it back there too.

To be fair I'm sure I didn't help by added the 944 lows in the rear. I added the mini floorboards and a backrest but at 130 lbs, me at 185 she is taking a beating plus all she is staring at is the back of my helmet. Has anyone used the Air Hawk or something else to improve passenger comfort?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Ride On!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I think any of the pads can help. Air ones are best (doesn’t take much air). And don’t stay on them all the time - alternate w pad and w/o to break it up.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The stock passenger seat tapers toward the back. I'd look for another seat. Your wife will thank you, and you might be happier also. The stock seat is terrible IMO

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Even a used RGU seat will be a major improvement. Maybe look through the 'classified ads' on this site and/or others.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There’s really no way around it: Buy another seat.

The stock seat tapers in the back so the rider’s weight pushes them further back, to even less padding and more taper and less padding and taper ... etc.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I recommend you first determine if you have a suspension problem or seat problem. Is she constantly bottoming out? That would be a suspension problem. Unless you got the Super Heavy Duty Touring shock, there is a good chance you are overloading your new shocks. If her butt is just getting tired or having hot spots after 30 minutes of riding, that would be a seat problem. Could be both issues.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tell her to buy her own bike LOL. Now for suspension, if you are bottoming out you would feel this not just her.
So this should be a seat problem. Look into Mustang seats, I have had four of these on other bikes. My wife (when she rode with me) loved them. Great customer service if you are at a rally they will let you try them out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tried one of those Butt Pads on my Street Glide for my wife it was better but not that great cause the seats taper down in the back so she was still sldeing back.Bought a Mustang Vintage Super Touring,She loves it.When I was getting my new Road Glide Special Made sure my Seat would fit Put it on when I got home from the dealer.She is very comfortable an I have a Better seating position an is more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My BSR would get antsy after about an hour, even with a Sundowner seat. I bought her an AirHawk and she really likes it. Good quality product and a lot cheaper than a new seat.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
+1 on upgrading the seat... especially Mustang. I just purchased a Regal Touring seat and have to say that momma is very happy! Not ignoring the fact that you said you didn't want to buy a new seat, but should you change your mind... :wink:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well no one can tell to put a better seat on. I know my life became a whole lot better then listen to my wife bitch about a seat.
But if a look is what you want, then deal with her bitching at you. Good luck

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you haven't already figure out the adjustment on the rear shock for riding two up. Its a hand turn so it's fairly easy. That being said my wife is about the same 3-4 times a year maybe an hour each way. I went with the LePera daddy long leg with the rider back rest, no hardware needed, and it's light years better for me as well as the passenger. It's worth the money in the long run. The stock seat is a standard street glide seat with little to no room for improvements because of the narrow passenger area. if you start throwing money at that area for attempting gel or cutting out foam for the tail bone you'll end up with the same result. Forget about a pad over the top IMO because again its too narrow of an area to have the desired outcome of comfort. She may even ride a little farther and possibly more often.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wife and I did about 100 miles on Saturday (her first ride on it) and she hated every mile. My problem is I refuse to put an ugly seat on my bike even if it’s for comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As one gets older, or when younger and you want to enjoy the company of your significant other, function over form is the only way to go. I have never cared what others think of how something looks, rather, I care a great deal about how my equipment performs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As one gets older, or when younger and you want to enjoy the company of your significant other, function over form is the only way to go. I have never cared what others think of how something looks, rather, I care a great deal about how my equipment performs.

She said she’d rather be on the back of the hayabusa, so when she goes we’ll take that. I care what I think about how something looks, that’s why we customize. I didn’t buy the road glide because I thought it’d be comfortable, if it was comfort I was after I’d ride a gold wing. I bought it because I love the look of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts