Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2012 fltrx( first road glide) and the 40 mile ride home from the dealer was HORRIBLE! I've rode a 1990 fxstc for years with no windshield and never complained but with the tiny factory windshield and buffeting from fairing I lost 2 pair of glasses and feel like I went 12 rounds with tyson after 40 miles of highway riding. I'm 6 ft with 32 inseam and leaning towards a cee bailey 15" but worried the wife won't get any protection( that's why 15") but also worried since I have a custom which is lowered in the back that it may be to tall to see over the shield. Does anyone have a 15" cee bailey on a fltrx and can u see over it still? Also is that a good shield for the passenger?(If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy)!!!!! I know there are threads about all of this but 2 days of reading and I'm more confused then ever :confused:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a '13 FLTRU and have a 15" OEM with the CVO gasket. I'm 6'2" with a 32/34" inseam. I also have the GAADS and the triple tree deflector and both momma and I are very happy! I ride with a ball cap most of the time and shades, with no problems at all. You are going to get all kinds of answers and the Madstad folks are the loudest. If you want to drop the coin on one, go ahead, it's you money. I suggest though, looking here or ebay for really good deals and see what works for you. you can always sell the ones you don't like and get the fugly if you want, after you have exhausted you options. Personally, I found what works for me and it only cost me 50.00!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a '13 FLTRU and have a 15" OEM with the CVO gasket. I'm 6'2" with a 32/34" inseam. I also have the GAADS and the triple tree deflector and both momma and I are very happy! I ride with a ball cap most of the time and shades, with no problems at all. You are going to get all kinds of answers and the Madstad folks are the loudest. If you want to drop the coin on one, go ahead, it's you money. I suggest though, looking here or ebay for really good deals and see what works for you. you can always sell the ones you don't like and get the fugly if you want, after you have exhausted you options. Personally, I found what works for me and it only cost me 50.00!
Wow!! You are a first here, I'll give you that! Stock windshield and no buffeting to you........................... OR your wife?? What a lucky guy!!

I'm a tried and true Madstad user and all I can say is this...............

Go out and buy, try, and resell 4 or 5 different windshields, add on wings, bits of plastic, and diverters................. Then, AFTER you find all those don't work, and you've lost a few hundred in buying and selling all those "cheaper" alternatives, buy a Madstad and be done with it!!

OR!!................ buy a Madstad right off the bat and be happy that you basically saved a few $100 on the Madstad by NOT doing all the other things first!!

Ask me how I know this????? LOL

·
Registered
714 Posts
Whether or not you can see over it depends on so many factors. Cee Baily probably has a measurement you can use. with reference to the top of the radio housing or another point. You can then measure it out for yourself while sitting on the bike.

I'm a happy madstad user as well, but I'm not going to try and sell you on it. Seat, Bars, Windshield choices are about as subjective as music. Hope you find what works for you

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Wow!! You are a first here, I'll give you that! Stock windshield and no buffeting to you........................... OR your wife?? What a lucky guy!!

I'm a tried and true Madstad user and all I can say is this...............

Go out and buy, try, and resell 4 or 5 different windshields, add on wings, bits of plastic, and diverters................. Then, AFTER you find all those don't work, and you've lost a few hundred in buying and selling all those "cheaper" alternatives, buy a Madstad and be done with it!!

OR!!................ buy a Madstad right off the bat and be happy that you basically saved a few $100 on the Madstad by NOT doing all the other things first!!

Ask me how I know this????? LOL
So, Moleng1 I think you missed my point, but that's cool. I didn't say "stock" I said OEM, there's a difference. The stock shield is 11"" as measured from the top of the radio nacelle to the top of eh windshield. The replacement OEM screen is 15" from the top of the radio nacelle to the top of the windscreen. The guy I bought it from threw in the CVO gasket for free.

I'm glad you're as happy with your $300.00 windshield as I am with my $50.00 one. Oh and by the way, I tried two other shields, that I also bought from either forum members or off ebay for a total expenditure or $125.00 with shipping. So, it seems to me I'm still ahead $175.00, which just happened to cover the cost of an amp and speaker upgrade. See ya in the wind my brother.

Oh yea, OP, Do your thing bro, just know there are as many choices as there are riders, Just do you and you won't be disappointed. Remember, it's a motorcycle, not a car. Some wind is good!

·
Registered
412 Posts
So, Moleng1 I think you missed my point, but that's cool. I didn't say "stock" I said OEM, there's a difference. The stock shield is 11"" as measured from the top of the radio nacelle to the top of eh windshield. The replacement OEM screen is 15" from the top of the radio nacelle to the top of the windscreen. The guy I bought it from threw in the CVO gasket for free.

I'm glad you're as happy with your $300.00 windshield as I am with my $50.00 one. Oh and by the way, I tried two other shields, that I also bought from either forum members or off ebay for a total expenditure or $125.00 with shipping. So, it seems to me I'm still ahead $175.00, which just happened to cover the cost of an amp and speaker upgrade. See ya in the wind my brother.

Oh yea, OP, Do your thing bro, just know there are as many choices as there are riders, Just do you and you won't be disappointed. Remember, it's a motorcycle, not a car. Some wind is good!
My bad sfc, didn't realize you had the aftermarket Harley unit, that being said you're still lucky you found one that works for both you and your better half that's not adjustable. Congrats on the up grades as well! Keep the rubber down man!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had no need for an adjustable either. On my 2004 RG I went shorter than stock. Clearview 9.5" (they'll make whatever size you want), I'm '6-1" 34" inseam, rode that bike for nearly 90,000 miles, less buffeting than my batwing. Now the handlebars are a different story, raising or lowering your arms has an impact on wind direction, and the stock bars definitely can give you a neck/shoulder ache.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I had no need for an adjustable either. On my 2004 RG I went shorter than stock. Clearview 9.5" (they'll make whatever size you want), I'm '6-1" 34" inseam, rode that bike for nearly 90,000 miles, less buffeting than my batwing. Now the handlebars are a different story, raising or lowering your arms has an impact on wind direction, and the stock bars definitely can give you a neck/shoulder ache.
I'm not a Madstad owner, but I think the adjustability aspect of it is not really about constantly fiddling with it, but rather getting it *exactly* right permanently.

Most fixed windshields will protect the rider pretty well, but they largely cause the wind to go around you, and it ends up being your passenger's problem.

I rarely ride 2 up so it doesnt matter to me, but if I was regularly riding with a passenger I'd definitely have a Madstad.

Also, I'd suggest getting a set of these - http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fltr-wind-deflector-kit

Probably not much help to your passenger, but they sure do help up front.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a 15" Cee Bailey and it was a little short for me at 6'1". I am now running the 18" Bailey and it works well for me and the BSR. I still see over the 18 and do not have to look through it unless I am looking at an object on the ground closer than 12'. All that said there is an 1" in faring height difference between your bike and my 09 and the seat your are running makes a big difference also. Hope this helps a little and good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the replies, I ended up ordering the euro 15" so we will see I guess. I also have put a couple hundred miles on the bike since riding it home and didn't have all the issues I did when bringing it home from the dealer, I guess a crosswind does make a difference lol.
:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts