Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at adding aftermarket passing lamps to a 2019 Road Glide Ultra. HD sells a wiring harness for their Daymaker accessory passing lamps that's plug and play. It works in conjunction with wiring that's already on the bike for passing lamps, just need to add the passing lamp switch to the left switch bank similar to what's already there on the Limited and Ultra. I could modify that harness to work with the aftermarket lights I'm getting but I'm wondering if it will be OK to use since the lights will be roughly 2 amps each. Not sure how that compares to the amps for the HD lights. I don't want to overload the stock circuit. An alternative would be to run a separate line from the battery to a relay to feed the circuit for my new lights. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If you have lights drawing 2 amps each, replace them with LED's. Less draw, same light if you do it right.

I put that harness on my '18 Ultra, it works great. But 2 amps is probably too much for it, by far. The harness is designed for HD's $399.00 LED Lamps

That harness operates off of the BCM, and is powered by it. I have some home made LED lamps I built out of some surplus bullet turn signal housings and Kuryakyn P-Clamps, on my engine bars. I used 15 Volt LED replacements for Halogen track lights from SuperBrightLEDs.com (got the sockets there too). They look exactly like HD's $400 POS, but cost less than $50. I spent more on the harness and switch than on the lights. But, the harness is nice and neat. I did manage to figure out the mating connector and pins for the harness so my lights plug right in. Do not ask me for the Part Numbers, I did not write them down, but the HD Parts guru's at the dealer were helpful. Unless you have pretty good manual dexterity, I don't recommend the mating connector as the pins are very tiny.

One thing to consider. Since the harness operates off the BCM, the lights will turn off when you turn on the High Beams. That is because DOT (or whomever) says you can only have two pairs forward facing white lights on a vehicle. Even though my 18 has really only 1 (high and low beam in a single housing) that is the way it works. But, so what. I also have two sets of white/amber driving/turn lights. Custom Dynamics Windshield Trim and Ciro Fangs headlight trim. So that law can go get f***ed.

I just noticed, you are from Canada. Your BCM may operate differently, and may not even work with that harness. Check your parts folks at your dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input OldNerdGuy. The lights that I have drawing 2 amps each are LED's, Clearwater Darlas. Expensive but very bright. I've already bought HD harness for their Daymaker accessory passing lamps to plug into the stock wiring and the stock switch that goes in the left switch bank on the fairing. Not sure how much current the HD accessory Daymakers draw or the stock passing lamps on a Limited draw, each of those use the same circuit I propose using. If the Darla draw is much higher than the Daymakers I will use the HD accessory harness and switch to trigger a relay to supply power to the lights from the battery instead. As for having the high beams and the passing lamps on at the same time, you can enable that with BCM flash from the dealer. I would be very surprised if the BCM operates any differently on the Canadian bikes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You could always add a relay. It’s not difficult and the bike can easily accommodate that. Then the amp draw of your lights is insignificant.

That's what I did with the (off road racing) spot lights on my 81, so I could tie them into the high beam and dim the whole kit when I switch to low beam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts