Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Heartfelt prayers and condolences to you and your family.

·
Registered
838 Posts
So sorry Brother, I lost my mom this past May after 3 years of extended illness and decline. Sympathy and prayers to you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
86 years old. I am in awe of your mom. I think of the things that she has seen in her lifetime change....things that we have come to take for granted in our everyday lives. Your mom has lived thru the greatest time in our history with most innovative development that mankind has ever put forward.

Born in 1934 in the great depression and the middle of the dirty 30s. Saw the rise of Hitler in Germany and Facism in Italy. She was 5 when WWII started and most likely new about the rationing of food and textiles of all kinds to help out with the war effort. She was probably 8 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and may or may not have known the significance of that event and how it dragged the U.S into a war that initially they wanted no part of but were determined to "finish" to help save the world. She would be 11 when the war ended, now with a better understanding of what was happening and being joyous at the triumph of good over evil. The next few years would be better economically for almost everyone in North America after the war. In 1950 she would be sweet 16, oh what a time to be in the middle of her teenage years. Rock n Roll music was just beginning, fashions were changing, household appliances were much improved and the economy was ticking along like a well oiled machine. There was some suspicion of Russia, the cold ware began, McCarthyism was at its height but America was safe and sound and doing well. In 1960 when Kenndy was elected she would have been 26. She has already seen some great changes from when she was a little girl but this decade would bring the most yet to her life. Crisis in Cuba, nearly a WWIII, more change in music and culture, rebellion against the "establishment". America's involvement in a "police action" in Vietnam that lasted way way longer than anyone would have liked. The latest in Television and news reporting brought this event right into the living room of family America, every night on the news. Television also brought home and showed some of the greatest achievements man has ever made, travelling to, walking on and returning from the moon. She would have seen that on TV, maybe you did too. It hasn't been done since. Let that sink in a bit, it hasn't been done since and she was able to watch it happen. The 70's brought about the gas crisis and the ruination of automobiles, times were still good though, people were working and enjoying life. Then the 80's came, your mom would be 46 in 1980. High interest rates in a recession had people worried, there was a new gov't in Russia that liked nukes. Reagan was president, REAGAN the actor, the one that starred with the chimp. Reaganomics thru the 80's, America 1st in foreign policy and before you know it the US was prosperous again. 1986, The Challenger disaster, I know your mom probably wept that day, thinking of those that would never seen their loved ones again. 1988, George Bush was elected after Reagan served 2 full terms, yes the actor. The 90's came around and your mom probably thought that "fashion" had gone to hell. Now in her 50's hopefully she was done raising her kids and had some downtime to relax. Home computers became a thing like calculators and answering machines were in the 70's, everybody had one. The computer could do the complicated calculations to put a man on the moon in seconds that took NASA years to accomplish. Everything that she would have known in childhood had developed and changed. The dreaded 1999-2000 rollover, would the digital world stop? Nope the sun came up the 1st of January 2000 and the world carried on. She wept again on Sept 11, 2001 watching with horror on TV the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York. Why, why is America under attack. She would carry on thru this decade and the next persevere because that is what living thru WW II, the Korean conflict, the Vietnam Police Action taught her was perseverance. Imagine using a telephone when she was little during the WWII er and before. There wasn't one in every house back then. In the 50s there was, one in almost every house but "privacy" was not assured, the local phone operator knew all the gossip. In the 2000's she could carry a phone in her purse, everywhere she went and even take pictures with it, pictures with a phone, who knew that would happen, not Alexander Graham Bell that's for sure. Music was on increasingly smaller pieces of equipment that no longer had any moving parts whatsoever. She has seen radio, records, 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, VHS or Beta, Compact Discs, Blue Ray discs walkmans, discmans all come into her life, some of them gone but radio hasn't left and vinyl is making a comeback. Fridges that will talk to you and tell you what your are low on and need to buy at the store. She probably witnessed the "Ice man" bringing ice to their house in the 30's before refridgeration was in every home. Home automation shut that all you have to do is say out loud what light you want turned on, what temperature you want your house at and whether or not to let the cat in.

Your mom lived thru the greatest time of change in history with the most innovative development that mankind has ever put forward. I am in awe of her life and the changes that she witnessed. Godspeed mom, he/she knows you deserve the eternal rest and relaxation that we all live here on earth to achieve in heaven.

I miss my mom everyday, she was the travel agent for the guilt trip but I would gladly take all those trips if I could have her again in my life on a daily basis. Isabelle Elizabeth Louise Duncan, June 12, 1938 - Feb 23, 2013. RIP Mom

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel your pain brother, I lost mine back in July and my dad three years earlier; prayers go out to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your mom. Prayers of comfort and peace to you and the family.

·
Registered
279 Posts
With sympathy and prayers. I lost Dad in 1996 at 72 and Mom in 2017 at 89. I understand what you are going through. Some of Mom’s ashes reside in a motorcycle ride bell cremation urn that hangs from my brake perch on my bars......she always wanted to ride on the bike but I wasn't able to oblige while she was alive.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am very saddened to announce that my beloved mother passed yesterday January 12th she was 86 years old just made that birthday Wednesday, went into the hospital Saturday and took a turn for the worst, this is one of the hardest things I am having to deal with I am sure some of my Roadglide family has experienced this as well, she was a great person who always did things for people from the kindness of her heart expecting nothing in return. She will be missed dearly, the sadness I feel is unbearable, such a loss, the woman who put me on this Earth. Wherever she is may she rest in eternal peace, love you Mom.
So sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers to you and your famply.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I’m sorry to hear this. I lost my mom several years ago. You never get over it but you learn to deal with it. Moms are very special people. You are in my prayers.

·
Registered
846 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I lost my mother Oct. 26 2018 and miss her dearly, so i know what you are going through. Hang tough my friend, only time helps get over it.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! Prayers for strength and healing for you and your family!

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,949 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mom's passing. It's always tough to lose a loved one around the Holidays. At least she made it through Christmas - she sounds like the kind of person who really enjoyed the spirit of Christmas. We'll have a good thought for you and your whole family.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
One thing that stands out for me, my Mom loved her family , and more with the holidays, she lived for that, always told me how proud she was of me and my brother, brings tears to my eyes thinking about it, I just can't believe she's gone, but I am not angry, I was truly blessed by having her, I miss her so much, thanks for all the support from my Roadglide family God bless you all.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Road dawg,
A little choked up here. Lost my mom March 5, 2019 at 88 years old. Your pain re-enforces
the pain that has never left me. I am sorry that you are going through this and it's tough to say anything that is very meaningful knowing that it cannot ease your hurt. You'll still wake up every morning and have to carry on just like she wants you to. You'll never forget her and thats a good thing. Peace to You and your Mother.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Very sorry for your loss brother, I'm...............you'll be in my prayers Sir!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts