Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RGL
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is one bike you owned from the past you wish you would have kept?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I had a couple crotch rockets that I wouldn't mind having again but my 06 Super Glide would be the one I'd like the most

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I wish I had all 25 sitting in my shop right now. LOL!
I've owned just about every genre of motorcycle. Some I parted way because it was time, and some because how and where I was riding changed. Probably one of these.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My Valkyrie! I had a lot of fun on that bike!

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,594 Posts
None yet. I drove most into the ground from high miles. I'm keeping my 08 and learning how to replace the things I wear out.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
None yet. I drove most into the ground from high miles. I'm keeping my 08 and learning how to replace the things I wear out.
How high of high miles? Asking because everyone has a different opinion of what high miles means.

On many of the bike specific forums I have been on there is always that guy closing in on 200,000 miles on his bike. Some touring bike forums it is not uncommon for a few guys to be past 300,000 miles. Of course we all know the faster you put miles on any vehicle the easier it is to reach those kind of mileage for age related issues occur.

The two I included the photos of were my "Trophy Bikes". I guess you all call them "Garage Queens" They were both better at being admired than comfortable for more than 30 miles at a time. Both were owned at a time when I had 6 bikes in the stable.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
All of em? If I had to choose, I'd bring back the 93 Honda VFR750F Interceptor. It wasn't just cool, it was 80s cool.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Can I go back in time with it if so my Honda CB90cc. Could ride it unrestricted at 15 1/2 any where any time. Friend of mine and I rode the entire state of FL on them camped in the Keys on weekends when not much was there. We owned the world then. We even ventured into GA a bit now and then.

We still have the 1996 Fatboy and will for life . Had to much fun on it to let it go. This is a fairly current picture.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
All of em? If I had to choose, I'd bring back the 93 Honda VFR750F Interceptor. It wasn't just cool, it was 80s cool.

View attachment 423472
A friend of mine still has his mid 80s VFR 700. It now has 80 something thousand miles and a 17 inch front wheel.

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,594 Posts
How high of high miles? Asking because everyone has a different opinion of what high miles means.
Most of my first bikes were cheap Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis that didn't make it much past 60k before needing repairs that were more costly than the bike at the time. My room mate and I flipped motorbikes through college, we'd pick up good deals, turn around and sell them for a few hundred more, and we did that 1-3 times per week if we could. The ones I kept, I drove until they weren't worth fixing and then sold them to a small Indie shop for parts - usually in exchange for tires or parts I needed.

·
Registered
2020 RGL
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a 1967 Honda dream 305. Rode this bike when taking my motorcycle license test 40 plus years ago. Sure wish I would have held onto it. I did come across one a couple of years ago was going to pull the trigger on it but it needed way to much work.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Wow, that Cap't America Viffer takes me back - Was my 1st Street bike but mine was an '86 and rocked a Kerkker Pipe and what got be hooked....

Tough to say of the Blur of bikes that have come and gone....I'd have to ask for this one back...my '99 FXDX

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
What is one bike you owned from the past you wish you would have kept?
The first bike I owned along with my older brother was a 1964 Honda CB 160 twin carb. I was in my senior year of H.S. in the Baltimore, Md. area and we shared the bike but my brother already had his driver license, so I rode the bike much more than he did. Back then you only had to be 16 in Md. to ride a bike and didn't need a license. Although I was 17 then, my father would not put me on his insurance policy so I did not get my license until I was 18. I got that old parent line, "your brother will drive you wherever you need to go. Sucks being the younger brother. I rode the hell out of that bike. The Baltimore suburbs back then had great riding areas with foothills and winding roads. I turned the bike into a motocross bike and rode it on a railroad right of way that local bikers made into a track, that was in the Sudbury Park suburb. We also rode along a electrical high power line right of way near the Liberty Dam area. In 1965 I graduated H.S. went to Univ. of Md. for 1/2 of the freshman year, then quit to join the Army Jul.1966 for 3 years and spent the entire time in Vietnam, Dec.1966 to Mar.1969, except for the 8 weeks of Basic and 8 weeks of AIT. After the initial year, I extended my tour 3 times at 6 month intervals but on the last extension Congress passed the 5 month early out so I only spent 2 years and 2 full months in country. Sorry for the long bio, but I told you that because while I was on my last tour, my brother sold the bike for a down payment on a new 1968 Mustang convertible, without telling me and wouldn't let me drive it when I got home. Older brothers, huh.. Those experiences on the Honda are what started my love for bikes.
But to get to the OP, the bike I wished I could have kept was my 2003 100th Anniv. Red Road King, my first Harley. I did what most guys probably do and Chromed almost everything that wasn't red. I rode that bike as much as I could to work, charity runs and M&Gs with friends. In 2004 went to Daytona for a week. From 2005 to 2013 anywhere from 4 to 8 of my riding buddies went to Myrtle Beach Spring Rally for a week, with several visits to the Delmarva Rally and Wildwood, NJ's Roar to the Shore. In 2010 I retired and gave myself a gift of 11 days at the Sturgis Rally and returned a second time in 2013 to see whatever we missed in 2010. All of that was great times with great friends.
In 2012 my Brother in Law bought his first RGC. I rode it and couldn't believe the power difference between that TC 103 and my 88. It took a while for the shark nose to grow on me but it eventually got to me. So, when the 2015 Rushmore RGS came out I made the leap. The RK was getting some serious miles on it but I wanted to keep it. It broke my Heart to trade it in but couldn't afford 2 bikes.
An amazing flashback occurred while I was in Sturgis. We stayed in Spearfish and there is a drug store in the center of town. There was the identical Honda CB 160 Black and Silver sitting on display in that drug store. Could not believe my eyes.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The one I miss the most, I owned for the shortest amount of time.

When I lived in Denver, CO back in 81-82, I bought a 1980 Honda XR500 dirt bike. Single cylinder, 500cc, 4 stroke dirt bike. Man, that thing had torque from here until next Tuesday.

I rode that thing all over the Colorado Rockies while I had it. I sold it to a buddy before I moved back to California. I wish I had kept it.

Reactions: CTony

·
Registered
399 Posts
Still have my very first whip from when I was 5 yrs old. Rocking the leather jacket AND brain bucket.

·
Registered
2015 CVO Ultra traded for 2020 Black on Black RG Limited.
311 Posts
In early "77 I stumbled across a decrepit '72 Kawasaki H2 750 covered in tarps at my bosses shop. It had been bored and stroked Polished pegs swept, clip on's and a café faring. Michelin z rated racing tires oil injection removed. Boss made me a deal 1. prove I could make it run again 2. prove I could ride it and he would give me the pink slip. He rode it once and it scared him so bad he put it up and never rode it again. I rode it like a big dirt bike for a couple years, wife was scared of it so I finally sold it. Damn I wish I could find it. "The One I Let Get Away" Original WidowMaker for sure.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts