Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RGU
1,975 Posts
The '02 Softail that was my 2nd bike for a few years. Hadn't even planned on buying it. Was walking into the dealership to do the paperwork on a '96 Softail I was buying for my boy to ride and the sales manager was taking pictures to post it on the website. I asked what he was listing it for, he said give him a number, it had just come out of service after a trade. I threw a stupid low number at him, he said ok. Looked at the wife, she shrugged her shoulders and said "if you have the money". Bought 2 bikes that day.

·
Registered
2020 RGL
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The first bike I owned along with my older brother was a 1964 Honda CB 160 twin carb. I was in my senior year of H.S. in the Baltimore, Md. area and we shared the bike but my brother already had his driver license, so I rode the bike much more than he did. Back then you only had to be 16 in Md. to ride a bike and didn't need a license. Although I was 17 then, my father would not put me on his insurance policy so I did not get my license until I was 18. I got that old parent line, "your brother will drive you wherever you need to go. Sucks being the younger brother. I rode the hell out of that bike. The Baltimore suburbs back then had great riding areas with foothills and winding roads. I turned the bike into a motocross bike and rode it on a railroad right of way that local bikers made into a track, that was in the Sudbury Park suburb. We also rode along a electrical high power line right of way near the Liberty Dam area. In 1965 I graduated H.S. went to Univ. of Md. for 1/2 of the freshman year, then quit to join the Army Jul.1966 for 3 years and spent the entire time in Vietnam, Dec.1966 to Mar.1969, except for the 8 weeks of Basic and 8 weeks of AIT. After the initial year, I extended my tour 3 times at 6 month intervals but on the last extension Congress passed the 5 month early out so I only spent 2 years and 2 full months in country. Sorry for the long bio, but I told you that because while I was on my last tour, my brother sold the bike for a down payment on a new 1968 Mustang convertible, without telling me and wouldn't let me drive it when I got home. Older brothers, huh.. Those experiences on the Honda are what started my love for bikes.
But to get to the OP, the bike I wished I could have kept was my 2003 100th Anniv. Red Road King, my first Harley. I did what most guys probably do and Chromed almost everything that wasn't red. I rode that bike as much as I could to work, charity runs and M&Gs with friends. In 2004 went to Daytona for a week. From 2005 to 2013 anywhere from 4 to 8 of my riding buddies went to Myrtle Beach Spring Rally for a week, with several visits to the Delmarva Rally and Wildwood, NJ's Roar to the Shore. In 2010 I retired and gave myself a gift of 11 days at the Sturgis Rally and returned a second time in 2013 to see whatever we missed in 2010. All of that was great times with great friends.
In 2012 my Brother in Law bought his first RGC. I rode it and couldn't believe the power difference between that TC 103 and my 88. It took a while for the shark nose to grow on me but it eventually got to me. So, when the 2015 Rushmore RGS came out I made the leap. The RK was getting some serious miles on it but I wanted to keep it. It broke my Heart to trade it in but couldn't afford 2 bikes.
An amazing flashback occurred while I was in Sturgis. We stayed in Spearfish and there is a drug store in the center of town. There was the identical Honda CB 160 Black and Silver sitting on display in that drug store. Could not believe my eyes.
Great sorry The nerve of your brother to sell that bike. My second Harley I owned was a brand new 1998 Road King and that's one Harley I wish I would have held onto.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I owned a Kawasaki Mach III 2 stroke at a young age God's grace I didn't get killed on that rocket! Glad I was smart enough to sell it. Had a Yamaha 1100 Special nice bike.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS, HD 131 Kit, V&H 550, Heavy Breather, Yaffe 12" Bars
69 Posts
1976 Indian 125 -- Embarrased to say I wrecked it as teenager in the 90s vs an ice cream truck. I didn't care much then, but today get upset when I hear that jingly "pop goes the weasel" ice cream truck song.

·
Registered
2020 RGL
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1976 Indian 125 -- Embarrased to say I wrecked it as teenager in the 90s vs an ice cream truck. I didn't care much then, but today get upset when I hear that jingly "pop goes the weasel" ice cream truck song.
That's how it seams to go. At the time not a big deal, but looking back, damn I wish I still had that ride.
Totally understand why ice cream trucks (music) would get you upset. My buddy had Enduro, fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
‘88 FXR Lowrider. Bought it used in ‘90. I was in college at the time and it took every dollar I saved to pull it off. Got a great deal, as it was in a crash. Replaced front fender, and smashed bits, and it was perfect. Great bike. Rode back and forth across the country a couple times there in my young 20’s. It was just a couple years before the FXR went to the dyna frame and got the rubber mounted motor (1991?). Not too mention self canceling signals!! Can you imagine such technology ?? Blasphemy!!

I sold the bike and made a whopping $600 after 3 years. Damn... I miss that bike. Sometimes I wish I could go back 27 years ago and talk sense into 23 year old me. But alas, it would be futile. I knew everything back then. sigh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wish I still had a couple. My 1st bike, a ‘76 Kawasaki KZ900 and the ‘97 Heritage Springer that I had for 10 years. :cool:

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I wish I had both of my Heritage Springers. 1999 Diamond Ice and 2003 Anniversary silver and black.

Reactions: CTony and JakeyLee

·
Registered
2019 Road King Special
747 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RGL
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wish I still had a couple. My 1st bike, a ‘76 Kawasaki KZ900 and the ‘97 Heritage Springer that I had for 10 years. :cool:
couple of nice scooters!!! And notice this was your first post, so welcome from the great state of KY

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
The best bike I've owned is a Honda Rune. Only made 2004 & 2005. Drove and ran like a dream No after parts made and could not make it mine.Colors maroon, black or blue.\The deluxe model had a little bit more trim but that was pretty much it.

·
Registered
2020 RGL
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The best bike I've owned is a Honda Rune. Only made 2004 & 2005. Drove and ran like a dream No after parts made and could not make it mine.Colors maroon, black or blue.\The deluxe model had a little bit more trim but that was pretty much it.
Have to admit never heard of the Honda Rune. So I looked them up, WOW that bike looked cool, cost you a pretty penny too I would only thing they would bring big money now since they where only in production a couple of years.

Also welcome to the RoadGlide community from the great state of KY

·
Registered
2 Posts
couple of nice scooters!!! And notice this was your first post, so welcome from the great state of KY
Thanks. Upgraded to the RoadGlide from a StreetGlide. I tend to keep my bikes too long so when I do upgrade the differences are amazing! :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
What is one bike you owned from the past you wish you would have kept?
My first Harley is the one I really miss. My 1997 Ultra FLHTCUI. I traded her in 2014 For my Daytona Blue Pearl FKHTR. After putting 47,387 mile on thiat one I purchased my first shark nose a Billiard red and Vivid Black FLTRK. I bought her on my birthday in Sept. 2019 and it is without a doubt the best bike I've ever owned. But I still do miss my first.
IMAG0904.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like many of us, the first bike owned holds memory I’d love to have again.

Mine was ‘67 Honda 305 Scrambler - so many great memories on her!

Another fond one I’d wish still had in stable is the first new bike purchase I did, ‘77 Yamaha XT500. Really fun thumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CTony
21 - 40 of 49 Posts