Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I installed the amp last month. Last week I put in the Kappa 62.11...

Amp suddenly today started clipping anytime I get above half volume,

The gain was set below 5. I turned it all the way down, but it still clipped (off on off on...).

Reading around it seemed folks had to resolve this by getting another amp. So as I purchased through Amazon, they are sending me another and I'll send this one back.

I checked wiring, everything I could think off, but it's all good.

Is there anything else I might check? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So by clipping, do you mean the amp is cycling on and off?
If yes, what is your battery voltage, more specifically, the voltage getting to the amp?
The amp drove your original speakers OK?
What are your amp settings?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power is 12.3
Speakers I didn't check as its enough to turn the amp on.

Speaking of, when the amp would cut out, the light would stay on...

HPF - less than 5 gain when it started, all the way down and still had the issue. Frequency was at 125.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It cut out yesterday, fuse wasn't blown but wasnt transmitting power, new fuse, all was well.

Worked for about an hour, going to work, and then all the way home until I got in the garage, then forever cutting out and then back on...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem, amp worked fine then the clipping came out of nowhere. No matter where I set the gain it still clipped badly. I replaced the amp with a Cewin Vega B2 and wala the kappas woke up. The sound was way better.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I replaced the amp with a Cewin Vega B2 and wala the kappas woke up. The sound was way times better.
Even though the PBR 300X2 was on everybody's list as a cost effective alternative to a $300 or $400 AMP, I skipped that and went with a recommendation for the Cerwin-Vega B2 from another forum. So i can't compare the two from personal experience, but I have been 100% happy with the CV B2.

They are getting impossible to find though. And even the latest generation (B52) is getting hard to lay your hands on as well.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
So, I installed the amp last month. Last week I put in the Kappa 62.11...

Amp suddenly today started clipping anytime I get above half volume,

The gain was set below 5. I turned it all the way down, but it still clipped (off on off on...).

Reading around it seemed folks had to resolve this by getting another amp. So as I purchased through Amazon, they are sending me another and I'll send this one back.

I checked wiring, everything I could think off, but it's all good.

Is there anything else I might check? Am I missing something?
I had similar problem after 8 months of use. When ever I gave it any volume, it would cut out. Funny thing is, it wouldn't do it playing Fm, only cd or aux. I thought my HK was bad . Replaced with Alpine HU and it did it on all selections. Replaced amp and been rockin ever since.
I don't think those pbr's like the heat or vibrations . JMO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that's not a glaring review I'm going try with the replacement that will be here tomorrow. If that has I'll try other....

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I also have the CV B2 amp with the kappas, along with a aquatic head unit. The amp has worked flawlessly since the install along with everything else, knock on wood. I can not stress enough the importance of dialing in the amp. Between SQ and volume, tuning of the amp is so important.
I have had my fairing off twice after the install for minor tweaks of the amp and it has made a major improvement, initial gain setting was around 2o'clock if I remember correctly. Both times the gain has been turned down. Crazy as it might sound, the loudness and SQ has improved dramatically.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, new amp, and still it's cutting out too. The protected light is coming on, momentarily...

Unless there is something wrong with the speakers or the head unit, I'm at a loss...

It sounded great for an hour, wish I'd have just spent the money to have someone else handle this....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, new amp, and still it's cutting out too. The protected light is coming on, momentarily...

Unless there is something wrong with the speakers or the head unit, I'm at a loss...

It sounded great for an hour, wish I'd have just spent the money to have someone else handle this....

Are you running remote wire or high level inputs? If they are both connected it can act kinda funny. Also, the block that the power, ground, and remote plug into the amp is kinda tight. Is there a chance that the power is touching the ground in that block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's one of the Kappas...

I put the JBLs back on it, they are just fine. Plugged in the Kappas one at a time, one clips, one does not...

It sounds great... So I don't think I blew it, maybe I just got a bad one?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was too easy to send back, plus without paying bigger $ they are back ordered...

Polls are installed, better than stock and the JBLs, infinitys are still better..,

Maybe later I'll buy a pair of those... Maybe...

For now, it's all good

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
It was too easy to send back, plus without paying bigger $ they are back ordered...

Polls are installed, better than stock and the JBLs, infinitys are still better..,

Maybe later I'll buy a pair of those... Maybe...

For now, it's all good
Why didn't you just leave the jbl's in when you tested them ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then I'd need another pair for the rears, I took these out of the rear to test...
Although given the sound quality of the Polks at $110, the $60 JBLs are a better buy for what you get.

But it's together and done, so hopefully this will be good enough,

I'm planning on buying a new bike in 17 anyway, otherwise I'd have paid for the fancy 4 speaker in the fairing setup...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I weren't heading out of town this weekend I'd pay the $1200 to have this done.

So the 2ohm Polks from Amazon are actually 4ohm, and melted..... So back they go...

Now to find a 2ohm speaker...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts