Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to install a RF 300x2 amp and would like some advice with the setup. Im not sure what settings to use for the variable cross over 50HZ to 500HZ and which position the crossover switch should be set to HP ,AP , or LP. I plan on setting the gain to 5 and will be using kappa 62 11i speakers. Thanks

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hp-high pass(only freqs above the cutoff freq will be heard)

Lo-low pass(only freqs below the cutoff freq will be heard)

Ap- all pass(all freqs will be heard) unless there is a manual freq control knob.

I assume you mean that you plan to set your gain at 5 as a start point when you begin tuning. All speaker/amp combos are different so you'll want to do some sound testing before deciding on a setting for the gain.

For a BASIC gain tune, start your gain at zero. Turn the volume on your head unit to about 75% of max. Then adjust your gain until you hear distortion in your music, then turn down the gain just a bit until the distortion is no longer audible. Take your neighbors a beer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Had mine on all pass and the gain was on 4.5. Same speakers . Sounded great while it lasted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick replies, any ideas on setting the FREQ. dial? it has a range of 50 to 500 HZ.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
set the dial at about 80Hz with HP selected and gain at about 5.5

that will remove the lower stuff, and allow your speakers to moved easier, more movement, more sound

last time I tuned the crossover I did it by looking at cone movement

then fine tuned by ear

played with the HU EQ and ultimately brought the gain down a bit

if you run AP, speakers have to work too hard

those 60Hz notes were designed for stadium 15's and 18's

you also double or reinforce the crossover settings at the same point if your head unit has that capability

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help. Its been 30 years since I have installed a stereo. h-donut, nice job on the amp mount and fast shipping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts