Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried Pulstar sparkplugs? Heard about them the other day so I checked them out on JP Cycles. Interesting video and reviews, but you know how that works. I think I might be concerned about their durability.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Has anybody tried Pulstar sparkplugs? Heard about them the other day so I checked them out on JP Cycles. Interesting video and reviews, but you know how that works. I think I might be concerned about their durability.
I would stay with the HD plugs as some of the top tuners will tell you that knock detection/ ion sensing can be effected by having the wrong plug.
I have ran NGK's in the past but now stick with OEM for this reason.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I was toying with the idea of changing to SE plugs when I heard about these. Always curious!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Snake oil solution for a non existing problem. Stay with the stock plugs.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
What they said.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
I have a set the I've had in my bike for just over a year now. I changed them out with only a couple thousand miles on the plugs I had at the time. The bike seemed to start a little faster, and the bike does seem to want to run..... hard to explain. I always keep the old set in my bags just in case, but I haven't had any issues. Would I buy them again. .... I don't know. When I change my wires in a couple of months I may change back to my old plugs to see if I notice a difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
They claim to be a 50k plug. I've had mine in for over 10k now. I guess I should pull them and look at them.

·
Registered
856 Posts
When I change my wires in a couple of months I may change back to my old plugs to see if I notice a difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710
That wouldn't really be a fair comparison though would it being that you're putting in now wires.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
They claim to be a 50k plug. I've had mine in for over 10k now. I guess I should pull them and look at them.
Shit i had my stock plugs in for over 20k miles before i replaced them with stock plugs again. Im due now for a plug change and ill put stock plugs back in

·
Registered
412 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, spark plugs will last well over 5000 miles, they don't really burn out or have an actual life span other than those recommended by the manufacturer.

I have personally run a set of stock Harley plugs in excess of 15000 and the bike still ran as if they were new. I only changed them because I thought I should, but with further research I've discovered that as long as your bike is properly tuned your plugs should pretty much last indefinitely, my current plugs have over 20,000 on them!

As for the "performance" plugs, total hogwash, internal combustion engines are notoriously inefficient motors (35%-40% efficiency), I'm highly doubting that a different way of introducing a spark to your fuel will make any difference to that efficiency

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I went to my local dealership to buy a set of plugs a year or so ago. I ask the guy at the parts counter if I should upgrade to the SE plugs and if they really made an improvement. Not saying a word he walked into the parts room and when he returned he put 2 stock plugs down on the counter and said "these are all you need." Told me all I needed to know right there. He could have sold me on the more expensive plugs but didn't.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I have a set the I've had in my bike for just over a year now. I changed them out with only a couple thousand miles on the plugs I had at the time. The bike seemed to start a little faster, and the bike does seem to want to run..... hard to explain. I always keep the old set in my bags just in case, but I haven't had any issues. Would I buy them again. .... I don't know. When I change my wires in a couple of months I may change back to my old plugs to see if I notice a difference.

Sent from my SPH-L710
I know a guy who was raving about them so when I seen them on sale last summer I bought a set. I feel about the same as dbell, bike starts better , I dont know if it runs better . I haven't had any problems with them , so they will be staying in there for the time being.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
That wouldn't really be a fair comparison though would it being that you're putting in now wires.
Maybe I should be a little more detailed. ..... since I'll be changing oil also, I'll probably run the old spark plugs until my next oil change which should be more than fair, my old plugs only have about 2k on them the Pulstars have almost 15k......if the Pulstars still start faster and run good.... that's good enough for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pulstars

I had a set for about 5k miles. Had engine problems, Traced after a week to a bad plug (Pulstar), the center electrode was loose (spun freely in plug) loosing compression.
Replaced with another under warranty then the other plug broke off in head
(threads broke off where gasket ring was (less than 15 lbs, on torque wrench).
Replaced them with NGK Iridium and don't see any difference between Stock,NGK or Pulstar as far as Performance or mileage.
I don't plan on buying them (Pulstar) again.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I just put a set in this weekend and ran 2 tanks through it. Mileage is up but then again I think we are finally changing from winter to summer gas which gives better gas mileage too. I averaged 40 mpg running 75-80 and 46 running 60-65 on two consecutive tanks filling up at the same stations and the same pumps driving the same routes.

I can't say for sure that the increase is the plugs or the gas...only time will tell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts