Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to touring bikes just getting my 13 RGC on April 6th. So far I have 3200 miles on her. Today I did my personal best with a 381 mile trip. I left St Robert MO at 9:30am. I stopped at Ozark HD to grab a qt of oil and continued west. I passed through Joplin MO and turned north in Miami OK. After crossing the KS line I headed back easy into MO. I stopped in Joplin for lunch and mounted up for the return trip. I thought about stopping on the way back but pushed through the rest of the way home. My last leg was 160 miles without a stop. I arrived at the house at 4:30pm. Not nearly what some of y'all on here do but it's my longest yet. If I can get the time off next weekend my gf and I are going to try for an overnight trip to Sioux Falls SD.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Nice ride, when I first saw the thread I thought you went that far on a tank of gas......I was going to see what you did to do that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Nice ride, when I first saw the thread I thought you went that far on a tank of gas......I was going to see what you did to do that.
Me too :D :D.

Sounds like a cool ride Punishher7... just hit the road and go wherever it takes you and 300-400 is a damn fine ride when it's just out-and-about.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I consider the wife and I to be the king and queen of slack-ass touring, no 6-800mi days for us, we plan for a max of no more than 400mi/day. IMO it's safer, it's more fun, and gives you the opportunity to stop and take in the sites here and there. Even at 400mi/day you still have to average 50mph for 8hrs, which can be tough to do.
We're making and exception for the first day of our trip to SWIII, gonna do about 550mi that day which will make the next 3 days more leisurely.

We're toughening up for the trip, did a 250mi day last weekend, did 240 this Friday, and another 230 Saturday, but even at that 550mi is gonna be a stretch for us depending on the weather.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
381 miles is a decent days ride on the right bike. And guess what? Your on the right bike! So get on it and ride!:D
So true and to some (like me) mileage becomes addictive...and the road glide is a great enabler!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,192 Posts
I have done a couple 1000+ and quite a few over 800 , now I'm ready to call it quits at 650-700 tops , nothing to prove anymore ..

With wifey , it depends on when SHE is ready to call it a day , 400 is about her limit ..

My first hour or two the first day I dread it , but after I get in the zone , its just eating miles one after another till I cant go any more

I guess we were all on the same channel I was thinking the same thing , 381 on one tank

JtB

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Like someone mentioned before, you picked the right bike for the job. Once you get to that point in mileage youll want more

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I thought you were talking about 1 tank of gas also, but sounds like a good ride.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I remember my first long ride on my Kawasaki, 125 miles. i thought how am i ever gonna do 800 miles to sturgis. now riding the RG i wonder how i rode 3000 miles in a week with no radio or cruise or fairing.

its not always about the miles and more about the time in the seat and riding conditions. took me 13.5 hours last week to ride 650 miles. not long ago i did 1023 miles in 18 hours and the rain slowed me down or it would have been 16.5.

it's addictive. now i am trying to figure out if i can stay awake and do 1500 miles in 24 hours.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Longest for me was 726 to Sturgis, usually only do about 400 as the max since that leaves some time for sight seeing along the way. Longest on my next trip in July is 580 from Hays, Ks to Grand Junction, Co. Will do about 2900 that week, can't wait.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I think we all thought that:D:D With this bike, you will find you will be doing rides that are longer and longer.

Im riding 1000 miles down to Tennessee this friday and 300 plus miles out of a tank of gas would work perfect! Im going to try for my own personal "iron butt" just for my own personal satisfaction that I can do it, and to prove to myself i bought the right bike;)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
thats great, I looking a Birmingham Al to Wiliamsport PA in one day late August if I go solo, if my brother and his wife come will have to stop.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: We rode 593 miles one way today from St. Robert MO to Sioux Falls SD. We left at 6:30am and pulled in about 6:30pm. We made quite a few stops for fuel and rest. Also stopped at a dealer just north of KC. Had I been solo I would have pushed harder but it was a great ride overall. The hotel we are at has a hot tub so ill be soaking my sore ass cheeks in that tonight! We are staying tomorrow and riding back mon. We plan to check out the falls but if anyone is near or knows what is fun to do around here I am all ears.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking back at old threads and was thinking about how addictive the miles are. Since starting this thread I have ridden my bike to MT, Vegas, New Orleans and FL. I have only had the bike a little over a year and she is at a little under 17000 right now. I have many 800+ days with my personal best of 906. On the trip to Vegas we did 1478 miles in 34.5 hours... Needless to say I love this thing!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts