Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m taking a solo trip that includes the Blue Ridge Pkwy in about a week. A friend suggested that I take a personal locator beacon. He said that some are like the inflatable safety vests in that they use a string to detect when you are separated from the bike and send a SOS signal.

Anybody have recommendations?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I carry a spot tracker on trips. Best thing about it is that my ole lady can just look on the web and see where I'm at. That avoids the phone calls three times an hour asking where I am.

It also has an SOS button that could be handy in an emergency.

And one last use I get from it, is having the ole lady carry it when she's on the road. Then when she calls and says shes lost, I can have here send a check in message and see exactly where she is.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have done SPOT, SPOT Gen3, InReach and Iridium. I like SPOT because it’s cheap, you can leave it on for two weeks without worrying about batteries dying, and using SPOTWALLA is my favorite website for creating and viewing tracks. Throw it in the left fairing compartment and forget it. That said, InReach and SPOT4 have texting ability, and Iridium is a WiFi hotspot for when you don’t have cell coverage. FWIW

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have done SPOT, SPOT Gen3, InReach and Iridium. I like SPOT because it’s cheap, you can leave it on for two weeks without worrying about batteries dying, and using SPOTWALLA is my favorite website for creating and viewing tracks. Throw it in the left fairing compartment and forget it. That said, InReach and SPOT4 have texting ability, and Iridium is a WiFi hotspot for when you don’t have cell coverage. FWIW
How much is a subscription to SPOT?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My wife always worries about me when I’m riding so put the Life360 app on our phones. Free & seems to track pretty well both of us. Haven’t noticed a significant battery drain.

https://www.life360.com/

·
Registered
242 Posts
My wife always worries about me when I’m riding so put the Life360 app on our phones. Free & seems to track pretty well both of us. Haven’t noticed a significant battery drain.

On Google maps there is a location sharing option which I use when riding so my wife doesn't worry too much. On my recent trip to Sturgis however, lack of cell coverage in some areas was a hindrance. I couldn't even text or receive texts at our camp ground.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
^^^Life 360. Great free app. You can see where people in your group are and also you can track your ride when you're done. And even though my daughter's 5 hours away, I can tell when she's not in a dorm room.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Been using the Garmin InReach with the plan that I can postpone charges when not using it. I only use it when I am on long trips without the wife, in areas with no cell coverage. The texting has proven useful as has the SOS button when a friend wrecked a few years ago.

·
Registered
500 Posts
if you have an iPhone you can activate the "find my friends" app with your wife; it is free and works very well

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
if you have an iPhone you can activate the "find my friends" app with your wife; it is free and works very well
Plus 1 Beaver^^^^^^^

I assume my wife uses this for me, it's a good thing I am not trying to get away with anything.

I think location services need to be on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I'd*probably keep it in my riding jacket pocket because if thrown from the bike in a collision, I would hope to be able to activate the SOS feature if immobile. If I'm unconscious, things have probably gone too far south for help.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'd*probably keep it in my riding jacket pocket because if thrown from the bike in a collision, I would hope to be able to activate the SOS feature if immobile. If I'm unconscious, things have probably gone too far south for help.
I've bailed off a dirt bike before it went over a cliff before, and the eureka moment hit me solid--how would I have called for help if the locator was mounted on the bike? My SPOT stays in the fairing compartment, the InReach is on my person as a backup since the SPOT is cheaper and battery life is 100x longer. That said, I don't envision many of us on here using two satellite trackers, nor sporting an orange brick clipped to the left shoulder strap of a CamelBak on the way to Bike Week.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have a Spot connect that I used on the Alaskapade. When it worked, it worked well. Reception and coverage were reliable, but the bluetooth connectivity to my phone wasn't reliable. Tried multiple phones. I just think the Spot Connect wasn't ready for prime time. I'm not even sure it's still available.

For my Australian Outback trip, I took a Garmin inReach SE. Really liked two-way messaging. There were nights alone in the outback where I felt VERY alone and the ability to reach out and converse was kind of nice. I'll be activating and using the Garmin for my Nepal/Tibet/Everest trip next May.

·
Registered
839 Posts

I use Life360 also. The downside is it resets every day so you can't save your entire route. It is mostly useful to know where you are at the moment. My wife can also track my speed when I am moving. I occasionally get messages, "hey, should you slow down?", to which I do not reply >:). You do need cell phone coverage so if you go down in the "boonies" you can only be tracked to the last place you had coverage.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've bailed off a dirt bike before it went over a cliff before, and the eureka moment hit me solid--how would I have called for help if the locator was mounted on the bike? My SPOT stays in the fairing compartment, the InReach is on my person as a backup since the SPOT is cheaper and battery life is 100x longer. That said, I don't envision many of us on here using two satellite trackers, nor sporting an orange brick clipped to the left shoulder strap of a CamelBak on the way to Bike Week.
For a similar reason, this is why it can be beneficial to carry your cell phone on your body on road rides. You go down, injured and your bike is not next to you.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Track my speed. I hope that can be turned of or rounded down in settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts