Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Phoenix area rides

It's been a while since your post but after recently buying a Road Glide my wife and I are looking at HOG group rides and individuals looking to do some riding. We're not much into the tavern hopping scene or riding 15 miles to a bar and sitting on a stool all day. (What's up with that?) We prefer actually riding (with maybe a stop at the end for a beer.) Let me know if you're still interested. Sundays work pretty well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Livennjoy; Sorry about not getting back at you sooner. Most of my joy riding is done in 200 to 500-600 mile day rides. Don't spend hardly any time at the bars. I ride with a bunch from the HD Forms. We refer to ourselves as, The Arizona Riders group. Check us out, Some of us also just go out on our own in 2-3 riders for a quick ride.
I live in the Chandler area 87 & 202. What part of the valley are you in?

http://hdforums.com/forum/groups/arizona-riders-group.html

http://hdforums.com/forum/southwest-39/

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm in, the weather has finally chg'd. It is time to ride.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Let Me Know

I'm in Wickenburg. guys are usually heading up this way. Don't do the bar deal anymore. Sundays I'm in Church But we can figure out something:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
any ewe guys in the Phoenix/Chandler area send me a PM , old skool buddy lives in Chandler ( rides a FatBoy ) , tryin to werk up a trip there next year mebbe ..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chandler Arizona, I10 and Ray Road. Saturdays my wife likes to ride (hundreds of miles) and Sundays are solo. Not into the bar thing, just like riding to eat and exploreing AZ, I enjoy both high speed touring and legal pace touring. I would like riding with other RG members, PM me

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Novenber 20th in Wickenburg @ 7 am

If any of ya are interested, I am starting a group meeting at the Frontier restaurant @ 7:00 am, Sat. morning. It is Christian in nature, We are trying to get guys together just for the fun of it and a get to know you. I know it's early but some guys like to spend time with family, most of the guys don't ride but that's not why we are getting together. if ya want more info send a PM. restaurant is on 60 just before McDonald's, small red log building on right corner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
General question for the Phoenix riders. As part of a summer-long 8,600 mile run back and forth across the country, I will be leaving San Diego headed to Yuma, Phoenix, Albuquerque, and on the OK City. This leg starts July 8th. I'm looking for tips on extreme hot weather riding that takes into account personal safety as well as bike safety. Do I just avoid the middle of the day? What's your experience recommend?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have do that run from Yuma to Gila Bend, to Buckeye to Phoenix. A very long and lonely piece of hiway. I'd say best mid-afternoon is best time to try it.
Have water handy. Luke warm water is better than none. Most of all know how far you can get on a tank of gas....... Like I said "Long lonely hiway

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Spend the 35 bucks

When it's really hot I wear a hydration vest, 110 and had my HD warm weather jacket on When I looked at amb. air it was @ 120. Like Dry Heat said take water and make sure you got a full tank and even then don't pass up a gas station. Turn up the tunes, look out for the deer and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks Dry Heat and Frodie. Good stuff. How did the RG handle in the high temps? Ever get to a point where you needed to pull over to keep from overheating?

I've made the run several times in a car while working at the Marine Corps base in Yuma and staying at the Wild Horse Pass in Chandler. It is a lonely stretch but that makes it all the more inviting...

·
Registered
238 Posts
My '06 RGhas no problem on a hot day. Since I put on the Kury heat shields, heat isn't really an issue on the Hiway. Keep to reg. oil changes, good tire pressure and Hard lowers (vented if possible). We here in Phoenix ride year round

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Did You say overheat

Just kidding, I have only pulled over to dump a bottle of H2O on the vest and drink another bottle. moving forward is the best thing when it's really hot. if your looking for shade (second best thing) you will be hard pressed to find it in AZ. A dew rag is another good investment the same folks that make the vest also make dew rags neck coolers and stuff like that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so if you are riding from San Diego headed to Yuma, Phoenix, Albuquerque, and on the OK City.
How many miles are you doing in a day? San Diego to Phoenix can easily be done in a day, if your stopping in Yuma its even easier. If you head out at sunrise you can be in Yuma by late morning or PHX by 2PM. Ive made the trip from the TX OK state line to PHX in 1 day ridding I40. The farther east you go the bigger chance you will have of late afternoon thunder storms. I always try to get an early start to beat the heat and storms.
Send out a heads up when you start out. I might be able to meet you in the PHX area for a drink or eats might even join in the ride for a while.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok so if you are riding from San Diego headed to Yuma, Phoenix, Albuquerque, and on the OK City.
How many miles are you doing in a day? San Diego to Phoenix can easily be done in a day, if your stopping in Yuma its even easier. If you head out at sunrise you can be in Yuma by late morning or PHX by 2PM. Ive made the trip from the TX OK state line to PHX in 1 day ridding I40. The farther east you go the bigger chance you will have of late afternoon thunder storms. I always try to get an early start to beat the heat and storms.
Send out a heads up when you start out. I might be able to meet you in the PHX area for a drink or eats might even join in the ride for a while.
I plan to overnight in Ramona, CA and may or may not overnight in Yuma. If so, only to visit with USMC folks and avoid any afternoon heat. Plan to ride an average of 275-300 miles per day but with some local exploration. In any case, will let you know in advance and look forward to the drink/ride along opportunity.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts