Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '13 RGU tonight that I'll be picking up next Friday. I'll use her for road trips but there's a road trip in the way pushing me until then to bring her home. First thing I have to do is figure a way to get my phone connected for nav and phone calls, tunes too of course. This bike already has a speaker upgrade, not sure which but they sound good and loud with the stock head unit. I assume the best way to do this is swap the stock radio for one with blue tooth. I poked around here a little already and found some good press on the Alpine 149BT. I'm a fan of Alpine had units so that's an easy sell on me.

Anyone take calls on their bike? I cover the southwest US and this big fat touring queen is going to be my #1 ride to do it on. I'll be on lots of long hauls and will HAVE to able to support my crew while on the interstate. Call clarity is crucial. I work with a guy who used to take calls on an EGU and I swear you couldn't tell he was on his bike from my end of the phone. That's what I need. I'm pretty sure he used some kind of BT helmet with the stock radio in the bike. I'm hoping to be able to pull it off without a helmet but that's probably near impossible.

The phone is an HTC One that'll need to be mounted somewhere in view for nav and Pandora. Any suggestions on bracketry as well?

Thanks yall,

-BunnMan

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use a Sena bluetooth unit on my Arai full face helmet and call clarity is stellar (Samsung Galaxy S4). I just keep my phone in my pocket around town or use a ram mount on longer trips. I see a lot of guys on here use an Iron Aces mount. You may want to check those out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
967 Posts
First congrats on your new ride.
Have the iTouch/phone interface don't have the Ultra setup no intercom. Assume can be setup for calls through the intercom but you have HTC so will have to go Blue tooth. J&M have blue tooth interface for HD.
Last and don't mean to be rood but is enough to look out for all going on around while riding and staying away from those on the phone while driving. IMO phones don't belong on a bike unless using it for music.
Good luck on you search and most be safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can't speak for phone use, but I use a ram mount with Xgrip to hold my devices. I can see who is calling and if it necessary I can find a place to pull over and make call

Not a fan of using phone while riding, but if it works for you.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Sena SMH 10, Iron Aces mount. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have Sena SMH 10 for full face helmet and a separate set for half helmets. Music is on my Zuma 660 GAS and phone syncs to it. I admit I rarely turn my phone on while riding but the Sena is capable of synching both. The half helmet set I just got has an FI tuner built in.
Enjoy your ride and stay off the phone if possible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel yall on the no phone calls vibe but in my case it's gonna be a necessary evil. That fella I mentioned above lent me his Electra for a ride back in '08. He was explaining how to work the cruise, GPS nav, XM radio, pair my phone to the BT, ...etc. It was all factory on that ride. I remember thinking all this shit's crazy, way too much to worry with. All the whistles, bells, and instrumentation?? My Deuce has a speedometer...lol. My view of a ride was a vacation from the world without leaving the earth and included as few trappings as practical. All I wanted to hear was wind and pipes. That's exactly why I'm keeping my Deuce, I aint ready to let go of the simple approach. This new ride is being added to the stable to let me grab a piece of what I love about riding while I'm covering my territory for work. My options would be to pull over everytime the phone rings which would grow a 6 hour shot to LA into an easy 8 missing my appointments by a mile. Or, I can take em in the saddle and keep my appointments while tending to the urgent calls I get on the way. To put off the calls is to get fired. I'm working one sweet deal right now so that ain't happening. This ain't the perfect way to do it but it's still my favorite over driving it all. I've put 5K on the Caddy in the last month wishing I was on a scooter every mile. That said, help me with the technicals, I've already settled the morals ;)

-BunnMan

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Sena SMH 10, Iron Aces mount. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710
I use the same and it works great. Wife can hear me and I can hear her. Since most of my trips are solo, I prefer it that way, this gives piece of mind to the wife. Plus it is great for making those last minute hotel reservations.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
If you have an Ultra check out http://www.hdbomm.com/ they have a setup for Android for $139. I have a friend who has it but via the Bluetooth on his GPS, uses the wired connection to his helmet to make and receive calls, hear GPS info and listen to music as well as for intercom function and CB for bike to bike.

I have a Slip Grip mount using an Otter Box on a Galaxy 4, very solid RAM type mount. NOT waterproof but I can but it in a sandwich baggy and keep going in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
No phone use for me in my car or on my bike. People think they drive / ride just fine while conducting a phone call which takes a large percentage of their focus away from the road - but they don't. I can check for any important calls while I am stopped. Just my opinion and observations. Riding a motorcycle requires so much more mentally and physically than does driving a car. :eek:

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
I dont make or recieve calls with it but i can if i choose to. I use a bluetooth from Griffin and keep my phone in a fairing compartment. I have used it for GPS but primarily for music. Got it new from Amazon for about $40

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Am very happy with the iPhone 5 / Lifeproof case, Cardo Scala Q3 Teamset, and the Kuryaykn Tech Mount on the left switch housing.

I use it for music, nav, and phone, works great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No phone use for me in my car or on my bike. People think they drive / ride just fine while conducting a phone call which takes a large percentage of their focus away from the road - but they don't. I can check for any important calls while I am stopped. Just my opinion and observations. Riding a motorcycle requires so much more mentally and physically than does driving a car. :eek:
Holy shit! Thank you for this ray of light in the darkness rescuing me fron my plan to endanger myself and others! You're absolutely right...so, in your infinite wisdom what's my next move? Sell the bike I just bought and go back to driving my turf in a car or go ahead and ride it ignoring phone calls which are part of the requirements of my gravy job in supporting my territory during business hours until I lose that job in a few weeks and just let the bank repossess the new glide?

Why do folks like you exist? You contributed nothing of any value to my inquiry. A few folks expressed similar sentiment earlier and I responded with respect and a little humor, as they deserved. You dive in beating the horse. Do us all a favor and honor etiquette.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Another vote for SENA

I also use the SENA SMH10. Call quality is great, works for NAV. Speakers aren't the best for music, which is my only complaint. I typically use this with my modular SHOEI, but will also use it with my 3/4 helmet. At highway speeds, you really need some mic isolation to keep out wind noise. It's not an issue around town, but when slamming down the highway at 75 you do pick up some noise in the mic from time to time. Hope this helps.

To resolve the audio issue, I'm just going to add an amp and speakers to the stock unit to improve audio.

Cheers,
G

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I use the Sena 10 with the earbud and mic kit in all my helmets. It allows you to use your own earbuds. As mentioned before, it sounds great and clear. The bluetooth option for music and cellular use is awesome. I don't even play my stereo due to how good the Sena sounds.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Holy shit! Thank you for this ray of light in the darkness rescuing me fron my plan to endanger myself and others! You're absolutely right...so, in your infinite wisdom what's my next move? Sell the bike I just bought and go back to driving my turf in a car or go ahead and ride it ignoring phone calls which are part of the requirements of my gravy job in supporting my territory during business hours until I lose that job in a few weeks and just let the bank repossess the new glide?

Why do folks like you exist? You contributed nothing of any value to my inquiry. A few folks expressed similar sentiment earlier and I responded with respect and a little humor, as they deserved. You dive in beating the horse. Do us all a favor and honor etiquette.
Amen there Man... some ones always trying to impose there will on others. I am with you. I use my phone on my bike and if others don't like it they can... well you know. lol

Now I am set up to talk thru my stereo and as long as I am not doing more than 35 mph it works fine, but I to am in need of another solution. thanks for asking the question. I am learning from the answers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts