• Vinyl

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of spending the extra to get a Le Pera Maverick 2 Up in all leather. Lets hear the pros and cons from everybody.

Had a leather Corbin Dual Tour on my old Dyna and I loved it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
LePera uses higher quality leather than Corbin & you can get full leather or leather seat area vinyl sides. I got full leather & was worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Give me leather over vinyl anytime. Ages well and lets your ass breathe better than vinyl.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
LePera uses higher quality leather than Corbin & you can get full leather or leather seat area vinyl sides. I got full leather & was worth the extra cost.
how do you know LePera uses higher quality leather than Corbin....I'm interested

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm pretty positive that None of my Corbin seats had leather. The LePera I paid for all leather and its way ahead in the hot ass comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
how do you know LePera uses higher quality leather than Corbin....I'm interested
I've owned both. A Corbin on my sportster & LePera on my RG. Both used full grain leather but LePera smoother, blemish free. Almost like comparing Ford to Ferrari leathers. If I had to choose between getting a free new Corbin seat or buying a new LePera, I would buy the LePera

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
I think the only advantage to vinyl is, it repeals water better.

Reactions: MightyWhitey

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I think the only advantage to vinyl is, it repeals water better.
I'm going to partially disagree with you Gary. You are correct, at the base level, vinyl will repel better. However, a well maintained, properly conditioned, leather seat will repel water like a ducks back. My seat wipes off the same as the next guy with a vinyl cover. So I amend my previous post to say I can think of nothing that vinyl does better, if you're willing to put some time and effort into your leather seat. Thanks Gary. ???

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I'm going to partially disagree with you Gary. You are correct, at the base level, vinyl will repel better. However, a well maintained, properly conditioned, leather seat will repel water like a ducks back. My seat wipes off the same as the next guy with a vinyl cover. So I amend my previous post to say I can think of nothing that vinyl does better, if you're willing to put some time and effort into your leather seat. Thanks Gary. ???

Leather all the way, prevents monkey butt. I have never treated my Corbin, Whitney what are you using?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Leather all the way, prevents monkey butt. I have never treated my Corbin, Whitney what are you using?
Did you just call me "Whitney"? Well Maddie, I prefer to use Lexol. Keeps it soft and water resistant without being greasy. Truth be told, I don't even clean it first. About every 3 weeks or so, depending on riding conditions, I take the seat in the house on a Sunday and spend five minutes rubbing lexol into it then buffing it off with a clean towel and let it sit for a few days. Removal isn't necessary, it's just my routine as I don't generally ride the glide to work.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Did you just call me "Whitney"? Well Maddie, I prefer to use Lexol. Keeps it soft and water resistant without being greasy. Truth be told, I don't even clean it first. About every 3 weeks or so, depending on riding conditions, I take the seat in the house on a Sunday and spend five minutes rubbing lexol into it then buffing it off with a clean towel and let it sit for a few days. Removal isn't necessary, it's just my routine as I don't generally ride the glide to work.
LOL!!! Whitney, stupid spell check throws me a curb every time I post. Sorry about that, didn't catch that one. Lexol, TY for the reply it sounds like good stuff I will give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Crack, Tear, Fade, Seam Split, Mold, etc... To name a few...
I'm confused sir. Vinyl doesn't crack, tear, fade, seam split or mold? A conditioned leather seat isn't going to mold. If you spilled something on it and left it, yes it will mold...and so will any other surface. All things being equal, where it's stored, how it's treated etc. the leather seat will not tear, crack, seam split or mold any sooner than a vinyl seat would. In fact I'd argue that a good leather seat will resist cracking and tearing better than vinyl. Seam splitting is directly related to the quality of the stitching and the material used. If you use crappy products you get crappy results, right? Have you never seen cracked, torn, faded and seam split boat interiors, sea doo seats, snowmobile seats etc? They're all vinyl.

Or maybe I'm an idiot and I read your post wrong�� I'm tired in the evening and do that often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Every Vinyl seat I've had on my 4 different Harley's, has cracked or split. (Except the 89 FLHTP Cop seat in leather that is still on the road)

It's planned obsolescence by Harley, they are time release built.

They then sell you a double-priced leather seat they planned for you.

BTW, I have 2 splits in the garage and one on my 09 Roadglide.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Two seats is a pretty insignificant sample size to draw any conclusion about the quality of leather used, I would think. Now, between just those 2 seats, OK... but to be able to extrapolate quality across the board sounds like pseudo-science.

I've seen good quality from both Corbin & LaPera... but cannot infer anything from that beyond which I liked better.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Always opted for leather until I searched for one for my 2011 RGCVO - the HD seat had split / replaced twice - I wanted a heated nice seat with a built in back rest - I've never liked the HD bracket / back rest set up -I spoke with Mustang - they only offer vinyl, I spoke with them for a long time - they went in depth as too the quality difference in vinyl offerings and what they used versus what some used - I went with their super touring, heated with back rest and loved it, appearance, comfort durability was great, with over 40K - it looks as good as it did the day I installed it. I had wanted to try a Lepera but they did not offer a back rest at the time. For my 17 RGS, I called Lepera, at 6'4 I wanted to try their daddy long legs - when she asked what I wanted it in, I asked her to give me her thoughts on it, she suggested I go with vinyl, I had them add the Gel - I could not tell you the difference between my leather that I've had over the years and this Lepera - the Lepera looks great, so far everyone has commented on how nice the leather seat looks, they are shocked when I tell them it's their vinyl - like all the Lepera seats it's a quality unit, the gel certainly adds a higher level of comfort for me - at this point I'll most likely stay with a high quality vinyl, I spend a third of the time on the vinyl that I did on my leathers - quick coat / wipe of pledge and I'm done - the seat always looks new.....

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I guess it's all up to preference. I prefer the character of a leather seat with a lot of miles on it. I'll tell you guys and gals one thing, I'd love to see a horse( a real four legged one) with a vinyl covered saddle on it. Wouldn't that be something. Wonder why cowboys and girls don't have their saddles made from a composite covered in vinyl? Might be something to suggest next time any of you are at your local rodeo. :grin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts