Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't think of a better place to document my very slow customization of my 2012 Road Glide Custom. I bought her in February of last year, but the agreement with the wife was that I couldn't buy any upgrades until after the wedding, and my first upgrade had to be a sissy bar for her. Well, the wedding has come and gone, she's made me a very lucky man, and I have now purchased and installed my 4 point docking hardware, a detachable standard size sissy bar, the comfort stitch pad, and I went with a detachable 2-up air wing luggage rack. You all know what a stock Black Denim FLTRX looks like, but here's the after pictures with the items installed.

I am going to black out my glide. It will be slow and steady, hence the title, piece by piece. Next up, exhaust, I'm thinking Vance and Hines Dresser Duals with Blackout Round mufflers, Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
Slow and steady is a good thing, should give you plenty of time to plan and research before you buy. Look at the exhaust threads to see how favorable a rating V&H has, I'm biased towards Dragos so my opinion may not be fair. :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Purchase

Last night I ordered a set of Vance & Hines True Dual Dressers - Black, along with a set of Vance & Hines Blackout Rounds. They are supposed to arrive Tuesday, and I must say, I'm very excited! I'll post pictures after the install, I look forward to sharing and hearing my Glide sound just like she should!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stickman81, maybe I should ask her to pose with the Glide, especially since she's carrying our little one now! Look for that picture soon! LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headers and Mufflers - Installed

The next step is complete, I've installed the Vance & Hines Dresser Duals and the Blackout Rounds. The sound is incredible, and I think it looks pretty great as well. I don't know about performance yet (it's been raining, so I haven't been able to ride). Here's a sample, let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea why they're upside down...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Welcome and congrats on all 3 fronts, the wife, scooter, and the mods! Nothing wrong with slow take your time there is a ton of info out there so research it all and just make the most informed decision you can. Good luck we will be watching ;)

P.S. you can NEVER go wrong getting the woman a backrest!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, she is much happier now that it's installed! Thanks for the congrats!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Looking very good. By taking it slow hopefully you will not have any do overs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tearing it down...to build it back up!

Last night, I started the tear down to make some further changes. I feel so wrong for doing it, but I'm looking forward to the end product. I stripped the saddle bags, the left and right covers, the right exhaust pipe, and the gas tank. She looks so naked. I'll be pulling all the chrome covers off the engine, and I'm having them powder coated a gloss black, to contrast the flat finish, but still give her the blacked out look. I'll post pics as it comes back together!

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
lol. off to a slow start, then, wham!.....

congrats for all.

the gloss black covers look outstanding. that was one of the things that pushed me towards this cvo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On it's way back together

I got all my parts and pieces back from the powder coating place yesterday. I'm really pleased with how everything turned out. Here's a few pics of what I've reinstalled so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And a bit more

A bit more completed. Rocker covers installed, along with cam cover and side transmission cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you pull off everything yourself? How hard was it? I'm slowly building up the balls to pull mine apart and looking at your bike makes me want to do it even more. Looks damn good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
lgsmith, sorry about the huge delay in replying. Yes, I did do all the mechanical work myself, took the parts to a company here in Louisville to do the powder coating, and then reinstalled. It really wasn't too difficult, but I do have a bit of a mechanical background. Not to mention, the wife bought me the RG Maintenance Guide for Christmas.

Take your time, double check everything before and while you're doing it, and you should be fine! I look forward to hearing your results!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts