Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service just called me - while doing my cam upgrade:

- "pieces" came off the cam bearing
- They "think" they have found 90% of the pieces
- but now must crack the cases "to be sure"

My first question was:
I'M NOT BEING CHARGED FOR THIS EXTRA WORK RIGHT?

ANSWER:
"Oh no, don't worry."

So, you gear heads - does this sound legit to you?

DOOF

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - under warranty - but ya know how that goes.
Yes - thats what lead tech said - "broke on the way out".
Possible or am I getting a "story" to cover another issue?
THNX, DOOF

If they do charge you, they have to call you and let you know! Hopefully your bike is still under warranty, if so no worries, ya right lol....
Talk about timing on getting new cams installed. Makes you wonder how long your bearing was broken. Wonder if they broke em taking them out???

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yes - under warranty - but ya know how that goes.
Yes - thats what lead tech said - "broke on the way out".
Possible or am I getting a "story" to cover another issue?
THNX, DOOF
I think they are being honest otherwise they didn't have to call you. Makes you wonder about those stock bearings tho!!

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
More than likely the tech broke the plastic cage that holds the needle bearings in place when trying to install the cam bearing puller. Once that happens the needles can easily fall down into areas that cannot be reached without splitting the cases.

Sucks and I hope they indeed find all the pieces.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
More than likely the tech broke the plastic cage that holds the needle bearings in place when trying to install the cam bearing puller. Once that happens the needles can easily fall down into areas that cannot be reached without splitting the cases.

Sucks and I hope they indeed find all the pieces.
I really did not need to hear that now!! Whew!!!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hopefully they mark that on your work order. Keep a copy on case you have any future related problems.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do you have this bike 103" already? Or 107" they got to pull cylinders might be time for high comp pistons and such. On their dime. I say upgrade. Lol

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
Do you have this bike 103" already? Or 107" they got to pull cylinders might be time for high comp pistons and such. On their dime. I say upgrade. Lol
+1, if they have to split the case, I would definetly inquire about improving the crank.....:D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
As Piesik and Dbell stated, if they're splitting the cases on their dime, and it was "my" bike, then it's the perfect time to upgrade if you ever think you will. Because you just have to pay for parts, the labor will be on them because of the screw up. Time for a trued/welded crank, timken bearing, and 107 or bigger.........

Will save you a considerable amount of cash. The parts to go bigger cubes have to go on same as the stock ones do.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
At least they let you know that there was a problem and they will take care of it. Make sure they install the Timkin bearings instead of the HD bearings.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hopefully they mark that on your work order. Keep a copy on case you have any future related problems.
+1
Make sure you get this, in writing no ifs ands or buts. If they miss a bit and 6 months from now your engine grenades you need to be sure your butt is covered....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After 7 HD and associated BS soap operas I can tell u this is a first -- sadly, Shop Foreman and Service Manager aid they will NOT be documenting the broken bearing pieces. They said they want to "cover" the tech by claiming a different issue that is covered under warranty. Besides, we all know how this ends, 10, 50 or 3000 miles from now:
- my lower end will seize
- The Shop Foreman, service Manager and Tech will be gone from the dealer
- and I'll have no "cover".
DOOF
PS - u guys are great as usual coming in with suggestions & info, thank you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
After 7 HD and associated BS soap operas I can tell u this is a first -- sadly, Shop Foreman and Service Manager aid they will NOT be documenting the broken bearing pieces. They said they want to "cover" the tech by claiming a different issue that is covered under warranty. Besides, we all know how this ends, 10, 50 or 3000 miles from now:
- my lower end will seize
- The Shop Foreman, service Manager and Tech will be gone from the dealer
- and I'll have no "cover".
DOOF
PS - u guys are great as usual coming in with suggestions & info, thank you.
Even more reason to upgrade and make sure it's built bullet proof while it's all apart, then they have to document the work and cover that.

Just my $0.02

And remember if all else fails, tow the bike somewhere else. Many people don't know it, but a lot of Indy Shops can and do perform warranty work for HD.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Doof, like a few have already said if they have to split the cases.. Pay a little more coin and get it buttoned up properly i.e. timken, trued, plugged, welded you get my drift. Take the opportunity to make the best out of a potentially jacked up situation. The dealer is most likely going to do everything to cover there ass, just make sure you get as much of yours covered in the process!

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point - but - since the bike is inside the 2 year warranty - and I'm doing all HD parts on the heads & cams -- I'm betting the Service manager will not want to reassemble using anything but HD parts -- I'm going to ask though -- thnx for suggesting -- this indeed sux all around. Thnx again, DOOF

At least they let you know that there was a problem and they will take care of it. Make sure they install the Timkin bearings instead of the HD bearings.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Good point - but - since the bike is inside the 2 year warranty - and I'm doing all HD parts on the heads & cams -- I'm betting the Service manager will not want to reassemble using anything but HD parts -- I'm going to ask though -- thnx for suggesting -- this indeed sux all around. Thnx again, DOOF
It is your bike and you should be able to put what you want on it. If they do the work there should be no issue. If something happens in the future and you did not use HD parts they have to prove said part directly cause the new issue.

I for one am tired of the moco telling me what I can and can't do on my bike, and the quality of many of their engine parts is going downhill fast. I am chasing a loud noise now in the top end of my front cylinder, we will see what it ends up being, I'm thinking it's a lifter issue or something with the valves, both of which on the new bikes have shown to be problematic. I will not be replacing whatever parts is malfunctioning with HD parts again, just to have the same issue again down the road.

FM

·
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So true brother. So true. Will let u all know how discussions go later today & tomorrow. PS - hope to see u in FL this year -- may be on a Goldwing though !!!! DOOF

It is your bike and you should be able to put what you want on it. If they do the work there should be no issue. If something happens in the future and you did not use HD parts they have to prove said part directly cause the new issue.

I for one am tired of the moco telling me what I can and can't do on my bike, and the quality of many of their engine parts is going downhill fast. I am chasing a loud noise now in the top end of my front cylinder, we will see what it ends up being, I'm thinking it's a lifter issue or something with the valves, both of which on the new bikes have shown to be problematic. I will not be replacing whatever parts is malfunctioning with HD parts again, just to have the same issue again down the road.

FM

1 - 20 of 55 Posts