Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a few changes to the tail lights on my bike and would like to pull the pins out of the plugs instead of cutting everything. Does anyone know what I need and where I can get it?

thanks is advance

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You need a "Jeweler's Flat Blade Screwdriver". A good magnifying headset helps too.
The driver is used from the front of the connector to raise the locking pin an release the wiring pin.
The magnifier to help see the locking pin. (With the aid of a bright light)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did it with a pin and several paper clips of various sizes. Cut the point off the pin to make it a blunt wire and get some paper clips and bend one end straight. If it is the connector that plugs into the lower in-fender light on the back bottom of the fender there is a blue lock on the side of the connector. Pull the lock out with a small (jeweler or eyeglass) screwdriver to get under its lip. Then use the screwdriver to pry the Orange blanks out of the back of the connector. The pin/paperclip/small screwdriver is inserted into the front of the connector in a tiny (and I mean tiny!) hole between and above(if I remember correctly) two of the wire female pins. Push the paperclip into that hole and give slight pressure while pulling on the back of the wire. You will know whaen it releases as the wire will slide out. I found that leaving the wire you just released partially in the hole helped release the wire/pin directly next to it. A manual helps a lot to understand just about everything on there bikes and, of course, make a diagram of the connector and which wire goes where as well as marking the wires somehow. I used painters tape and made labels for each wire and stuck the labels on the wires as I pulled them. Then wrote it on my diagram. Don't know if this is completely necessary but I DO know that, for example, there are 2 black wires that go to the license plate LED. It probably doesn't matter which black goes in which connector hole but I didn't want to take chances. There are also other black wires going to each taillight and 2 purple ones that are for the turnsignals. It would suck to go and hit the left turn signal and the right taillight signal starts to flash!!

You can get small screwdrivers at an electronics store. Not Best Buy but a electronics distributor. Don't skimp and get a cheap eyeglas kit from Wallyworld. It will work but is not the best tool for the job. And RoadGlideRiders right.... Lots of light helps. And a magnifier would be nice. I have a desk light/magnifier that works great for this sort of thing.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
And even then, you may find yourself cutting and splicing anyway.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=205834
I read your post about the connector you were trying to de-pin. I just got a couple 2 pin connector harnesses from HD. It is a new part # for the 14-15 models but works for what I need. I tried and tried to de-pin that connector and could not. I've been doing it for a while and never found one I could not do. If you were trying to undo a connector off one of the new models I feel for you. I guess I just received the same pain! But the rear taillight connector is a different story. It is much easier than the AMP xonnectors used for the turnsignals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts