Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been out getting familiar with my fltru this weekend. I have about 450 miles on it now. Ive noticed a couple of times that I get a stumble when Im pulling away from a light. Today it actually pinged and almost stalled.

Side note: That cylinder deactivation thing is pretty weird. Feels like a thumper.

Anyways, its damn near a hundred hear already and only getting hotter.

Enlighten me please.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It kicks in within a few seconds Id say.

My sporty used to run real hot.

This 103 is crazy hot. Im not sure the oil cooler does much at all.

At highway speeds yesterday I put my hand down where the air passes off the engine and it was almost too much.

For some reason I figured the bigger jugs would run cooler. Dunno where I got that idea but it made sense at the time!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You've probably thought of this already whispanic, but i just want to make sure you have the lower fairing vents open in heat like that. Not that it will help you when idling/stopped, but just incase they're closed when you moving faster.

Other than that, I'd think you either need to do a stage1/tuner upgrade to get more fuel into engine and cool it down somehow, or think about other addons to cool the oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vents are open.

I was wondering if there was any truth to a tuner helping things run cooler.

My mpgs are pretty bad right now so Im cautious about making it any worse.

35 first tank. 38 next tank.

Freer flowing breather help anything?

Coming off off 2 liquid/fan cooled bikes this is a new thing for me

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sometimes when this happens, it's because it doesn't kick in the other cylinder fast enough. I turned off my "cooling aid" cylinder cut out and the problem went away. Some thing to check any way. Keith at Fuel Moto turned me on to the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...

I wondered if that was a possibility. I thought maybe the the cylinder without fuel was off time being cooler or something.

I service commercial laundry equipment for a living. I tend to think way outside the box on some stuff.

I may look into a fan in the future but if a remap would help Ill consider that first cause its cleaner looking with a fan hanging off the side.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hmmm...

I wondered if that was a possibility. I thought maybe the the cylinder without fuel was off time being cooler or something.

I service commercial laundry equipment for a living. I tend to think way outside the box on some stuff.

I may look into a fan in the future but if a remap would help Ill consider that first cause its cleaner looking with a fan hanging off the side.
Your gonna need a full Stage 1, not just a remap. Harley runs thie bikes VERY lean to meet EPA. Less fuel makes the bike run hotter. As for the MPG, that will get better as it breaks in. Another thing, (and Im sure you know this, but this would cause poor fuel economy and pinging) run the top grade fuel, 91+
Good Luck

·
Registered
537 Posts
Whenever I sit very long I usually give the throttle a little rap to kick the rear cylinder back on just befor I take off. It really seemed to help me on the hotter days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Take the lowers off, HD recommends they come off for seasonal temps like that,
we remove them down here in FL when it starts into the mid to upper 80's consistently.

Over 90 and you're asking for a hot engine, just can't get enough air.

I'd also make sure you are running a good Vtwin 20W-50 Synthetic (reminds me I'm due to change oil) and get a tuner on it like the new powercommander from Fuel Motousa.com talk with Jamie about one if you like plug n play ride away type stuff

Or a TTS Mastertune which is close to plug n play but allows you to tweak the
map to the bike while riding and do a little fine tuning...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Your gonna need a full Stage 1, not just a remap. Harley runs thie bikes VERY lean to meet EPA. Less fuel makes the bike run hotter. As for the MPG, that will get better as it breaks in. Another thing, (and Im sure you know this, but this would cause poor fuel economy and pinging) run the top grade fuel, 91+
Good Luck
Deffinately a good tip. Lower octane fuel has a lower flash point so it ignites faster than the higher octane. Plus will help with the preignition "pinging"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts