Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '13 RGU with a stage 1 AC, PC5 & an auto tuner running. Everything seems to be running ok however once I ride for a while and the bike gets nice and hot, rolling along sound 25-3k RPMs and crack on the throttle and I get what sounds like a loud, Metallic tap or ping from the engine.
This only does it when the bike is hot. I only notice it ever since I've installed the exhaust, PC, AC & AT.

Any ideas what this is or how to fix it. The AT seems to be working correctly because it does show AF ratio changes in the PC software when hooked up to my laptop.

Any help would be appreciated to get rid of this. I do not believe this is normal but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine does the same. Sounds like valve train clatter coming out of the air cleaner. HD says its normal, especially since I have a woods 777 cam. Over 3000 no noise.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
If it is pinging......Figure out when it happens as far as RPM and speed, then manually retard the spark just a little in that range.

I had a little bit of ping, so I pulled about 1/2 degree of spark out in the map at the spot where it was doing it, and the ping is gone.

If it's mechanical noise, and it really bothers you.... you will have to throw money at it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Go into the PCV and put -2 on the ignition table in the pinging range assuming that the ignition table is all zeros ~ then send the update to the pcv ~ this will do it ~ you are retarding the timing manually. You can go more but don't want to use more than necessary. I have not pinging and am actually adding timing. As long as there is no ping (detonation) all is well. If I get a ping I will retard -2 degress till all is well.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright. I'll give it a try. It ONLY seems to happen whenever the engine is hot also. Never within the first 30 mins of riding. Only when it's hot and from what I can tell, only in the 25-3k range.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Its definitely valve train clatter.

I had the same issue with my '13 FLTRU, it was driving me NUTS.

I was certain that when Jamie pulled my jugs for my 107 build he was going to show me pistons riddled with pinging damage.

Nope, they looked very good.

I had them rebuild my heads (not ported), so new (better) valve springs, seals, etc.

Guess what: no more clatter! Just a strong, happy, purring motor.....

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was certain that when Jamie pulled my jugs for my 107 build he was going to show me pistons riddled with pinging damage.

I had them rebuild my heads (not ported), so new (better) valve springs, seals, etc.

Well that's good to know. I'm always afraid my engine is gonna go kaput sometime.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Yup,I was considering the 107. My clatter drives me nuts. Was thinking about going back to the stock cam. While driving the twisties in S.Dakota Hill City,Sturgis,Deadwood, etc., the clatter was relentless. The most clatter is 2700 to 2800 RPM's. I guess if it causes no damage I might leave it. Otherwise thinking about going back to stock cam/aircleaner. Or just the air cleaner to muffle the sound. Of course a 107 with no clatter sure would be cool!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine does this too. Especially if your pushing hard in the hills or on the interstate. I had assumed timing ping, but had run the TTS recorder several times with the ping occurring and no timing is being pulled. So, I figured it might be a tad lean in that area. Haven't gotten to messing with that yet though. May not after reading this thread, as I have Andrews 54's. Was going to do heads, but held off. Looks like a good reason to get it done now. Good stuff guys!

Mike

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Most of the time the ping is the timing not the AFR. T-Max has a timing vs engine temp feature where you can set the module to retard the timing a couple of degrees when the engine temp hit your selected temp. I am not sure if the PV has this feature.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had the same thing, only when bike is hot, pulling hard, same rpm range. I have Vance and Hines power duals with high outputs, screaming eagle tuner on a 2013 RG Ultra. The dealer did the tune. On Thursday they made an adjustment to the timing and I believe it is now fixed. I don't know all the technical stuff but what I was hearing, and I suspect you are too, is detonation and it is not good. PGR and mitchdm seem to know exactly how to correct this. My bike runs great now. Good luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Has the same problem, got a tune done at my dealer all noise went away, was told it was a timing issue. Bike runs better than ever now.

Jay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts