Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to spray water in the throttle body with a spray bottle to attempt to clean carbon deposits? If so, is there a correct way to do it? Only assuming I may have carbon deposits causing pre-ignition. I've checked for intake leak. There's been no change in components or tune and it's not bad gas. Bike is a 2013 with 25,000 de-catted head pipe, fuel moto A/C, Nasi CFR's and PowerVision. Thanks for any input.

·
Administrator
10,504 Posts
I'd get a can of seafoam deep creep , spray into the throttle body ( cold motor ) let stand for fifteen minutes or so before cranking ..

I also pour a can of regular seafoam in the gas about once a year , and if you are anal about oil ( I am ) , before you change the oil , add six ounces of seafoam to a cold motor , ride for maybe twenty five miles , come back and change the oil ..

JtB

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I reality there isn't much of anything that will clean all of the carbon deposits off the pistons except pulling the heads and scraping the pistons.
The pinging is a result of the tune being off and a adjustment to the timing is the real cure for your problem, adjusting the tune is easier then pulling the heads.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iron mark, can you explain to me what changes 10,000 miles later that requires an adjustment to the tune? Damn thing ran great for 10K and nothing has changed, unless fuel all over the northwest has changed.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I reality there isn't much of anything that will clean all of the carbon deposits off the pistons except pulling the heads and scraping the pistons.
The pinging is a result of the tune being off and a adjustment to the timing is the real cure for your problem, adjusting the tune is easier then pulling the heads.
+1 with ironmark, temperature also affects running , but the map might be to on the lean side, mine was and I went into the quicktune area of my powervision and richened up the mixture and the bike ran better than ever cooler and no pinging.:nerd:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks road dawg. I hear you guys and I'm going to follow advice. Can you elaborate a little on what you did? Which throttle positions you richened etc. thanks.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
+1 with ironmark, temperature also affects running , but the map might be to on the lean side, mine was and I went into the quicktune area of my powervision and richened up the mixture and the bike ran better than ever cooler and no pinging.:nerd:
+1 ^^^
Nothing really changed with your tune except the ambient air temp, when the air temp gets hotter then the engine runs hotter too, the extra heat will affect the tune.
Some of the more advance tuners have a adjustment for this condition, the T-max tuner I use has this adjustment under "engine temp VS timing" this allow the timing to retard when the engine temp increases.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 ^^^
Nothing really changed with your tune except the ambient air temp, when the air temp gets hotter then the engine runs hotter too, the extra heat will affect the tune.
Some of the more advance tuners have a adjustment for this condition, the T-max tuner I use has this adjustment under "engine temp VS timing" this allow the timing to retard when the engine temp increases.
I'm not going to argue with that. I run into this problem with my snowmobile in spring. Have to take the hood off to keep head temps down. Problem in having with this is it wasn't pinging in 100 degree temps but it's now doing it at 85 degrees and lower. Seems odd to me. I don't really know what I'm doing with this powervision but I guess I'll get into the quick tune and give it a little fuel on the top end to try to cool it down a little.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
, unless fuel all over the northwest has changed.[/QUOTE]

The mixing rails don't change, some distributiors have in the last month, Harris to KAG

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Thanks road dawg. I hear you guys and I'm going to follow advice. Can you elaborate a little on what you did? Which throttle positions you richened etc. thanks.
In the quick tune section of your power vision tuner I richened the low by 8% and the mid by 10% and high by 10% and the bike ran fantastic, my map seemed a little lean in the midrange, also the bike ran cooler with this adjustment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a quick thought too, I'm not sure how that tuner works but you might try selecting the tune you originally put in and resave everything. I've seen computer tuners lose their memory before and cause squirrelly things to happen.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick thought too, I'm not sure how that tuner works but you might try selecting the tune you originally put in and resave everything. I've seen computer tuners lose their memory before and cause squirrelly things to happen.
Thanks. I have the tune saved in the tuner and the software on my laptop. Good advice though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts